From: XS11E on
"John Pollard" <8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> XS11E wrote:
>> XS11E <xs11eNO(a)SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> How can I change the start date on the reconcile screen to go
>>> back to a previous month?
>
>> Can anyone answer this?
>>I recall doing it once but I can't remember how...
>
> You already got the answer you need (presuming you're using a
> version of Quicken later than *about* Q2002.
>
> And following the answer you got, will allow you to re-reconcile
> to your heart's content (the "start date" doesn't matter - though
> the "ending date" does).

WHAT ANSWER?

I haven't seen an answer, I've reloaded this entire discussion and
can't find any answer and I very much NEED to get this fixed, my
alternative is going to have to be to discontinue using Quicken if I
can't reconcile the account.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: XS11E on
"Bob Wang" <BobWangBlog(a)Gmail.com> wrote:

> For some reason, I'm reminded of this scene from "Blazing
> Saddles":

and how do you feel this helps my problem?

John Pollard has referred me to some post that I either did not see or
did not apply to my problem and your post accomplished what?

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: Art McClinton on
You have had several answers suggested to you. When I moved over from MS
Money I had several similar unbalanced situations while getting into
production. I thought you had resolved the problem when you said you had
found it. If you are having difficulties at this point I would

1) drop back to a backup where the problem does not show an error. You said
it balanced a month ago (probably now 2 months). Restore that backup and
note the account balance at the time it was balanced. Then go to the current
file and verify that the account balance on the same day (and transaction)
is the same. If it is not then you need to look at what happened previous to
that day, otherwise you are limited to items since that day.

I had one case where I simply allowed it to put a transaction so I could
balance. I did not want to continue searching for the less than a dollar
difference

I feel your frustration and hope you are able to find it.

From: John Pollard on
XS11E wrote:
> "John Pollard" <8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> XS11E wrote:

>>> Can anyone answer this?
>>> I recall doing it once but I can't remember how...

>> You already got the answer you need (presuming you're using a
>> version of Quicken later than *about* Q2002.
>>
>> And following the answer you got, will allow you to re-reconcile
>> to your heart's content (the "start date" doesn't matter - though
>> the "ending date" does).

> WHAT ANSWER?
>
> I haven't seen an answer, I've reloaded this entire discussion and
> can't find any answer and I very much NEED to get this fixed, my
> alternative is going to have to be to discontinue using Quicken if I
> can't reconcile the account.

In effect, you're asking the wrong question. You don't change the start
date to go back to a previous reconcile ... you change the net amount of
reconciled transactions.

Which I pointed out on June 11 in this thread. And reminded again June 15
.... which you quoted when you submitted this post I'm replying to.

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: Laura on
XS11E wrote:
> "John Pollard" <8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> XS11E wrote:

>>> Can anyone answer this?
>>> I recall doing it once but I can't remember how...
>> You already got the answer you need (presuming you're using a
>> version of Quicken later than *about* Q2002.
>>
>> And following the answer you got, will allow you to re-reconcile
>> to your heart's content (the "start date" doesn't matter - though
>> the "ending date" does).
>
> WHAT ANSWER?
>
> I haven't seen an answer, I've reloaded this entire discussion and
> can't find any answer and I very much NEED to get this fixed, my
> alternative is going to have to be to discontinue using Quicken if I
> can't reconcile the account.

I've had this happen a few times in the past. Usually it was caused by a
duplicate transaction or a mismatching of a downloaded transaction.

I just pull up the bank account online and work my way backwards month
by month until I find where the balance in Q no longer matches the
balance on the website. Then I narrow it down within that month until I
find the transaction(s) causing the problem. In my case, I narrowed it
down to my being lazy where I hit the "accept all transaction" blindly.
I no longer do that and only occasionally get duplicate transactions.