From: XS11E on
At the beginning of May I received my April statement and reconciled
w/o any problem. When I received my May statement (early June) I
attempted to reconcile the account but the beginning balance was about
$4,000 too high!

What could possibly cause this?

I KNOW the opening balance and closing balance in April were correct,
how could the opening balance for May be anything other than the
closing balance for April?

HELP, please?

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: Jim H on
XS11E wrote:
> At the beginning of May I received my April statement and reconciled
> w/o any problem. When I received my May statement (early June) I
> attempted to reconcile the account but the beginning balance was about
> $4,000 too high!
>
> What could possibly cause this?
>
> I KNOW the opening balance and closing balance in April were correct,
> how could the opening balance for May be anything other than the
> closing balance for April?
>
> HELP, please?

When I've had this, it has been because a reconciled transaction was
modified or deleted.
From: R. C. White on
Hi, XS11E.

If the ending balance reconciles, then the opening balance is of only
academic interest.

If the ending balance does NOT reconcile, then you need to identify the
non-reconciling item, even if it occurred in some earlier period.

Quite often, a check or deposit that is outstanding on April 30 will clear
in May. Note that a reconciliation is not really for "a month" or other
PERIOD of time, but AS OF a particular POINT in time, usually the close
business on the last day of a month.

Quicken's reconciliation screens sometimes confuse me. The lists of
Payments and Checks and of Deposits are usually all or mostly shown as BOLD.
To make it easier on myself, I click Mark All - and then Mark All a second
time - to UNbold them all. And then I click each one as I compare the
cleared items from my checkbook (yes, I still also keep a manual checkbook)
or Quicken check register to the statement. If the "Difference" is not zero
when I finish this exercise, then I have more tracking and comparing to do.

If I forgot to reconcile last month, then the screen that opens when I click
Reconcile might show an "Opening Balance" that was actually from the last
time that I did reconcile - maybe a few months ago. That doesn't matter, so
long as all the reconciling items match the statements I've received since
then. Only the ENDING balance matters.

If all else fails, go back and reconcile LAST month-end again.

I know all this is too elementary for you, XS11E - but we all have to go
through these steps - again - sometimes. ;^}

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

From: Andrew on
Jim H wrote:
> XS11E wrote:
>> At the beginning of May I received my April statement and reconciled
>> w/o any problem. When I received my May statement (early June) I
>> attempted to reconcile the account but the beginning balance was
>> about $4,000 too high!
>>
>> What could possibly cause this?
>>
>> I KNOW the opening balance and closing balance in April were correct,
>> how could the opening balance for May be anything other than the
>> closing balance for April?
>>
>> HELP, please?
>>

> When I've had this, it has been because a reconciled transaction was
> modified or deleted.

Absolutely - start looking! This has happened to me multiple times over the
past decade of using Q. Obviously, I don't TRY to do this on purpose, so I
am not sure how it happens, but I think it is do to sometimes copying and
pasting (or cut and pasting!) transactions that have already been marked as
reconciled.

(This is not meant to start a 'me too' thread; it's just that this is very
very likely the cause of your problem.)

Regards -

- Andrew

From: John Pollard on
XS11E wrote:
> At the beginning of May I received my April statement and reconciled
> w/o any problem. When I received my May statement (early June) I
> attempted to reconcile the account but the beginning balance was about
> $4,000 too high!
>
> What could possibly cause this?
>
> I KNOW the opening balance and closing balance in April were correct,

> how could the opening balance for May be anything other than
> the closing balance for April?

The opening balance is the net amount of all transactions in the account
with a cleared status ("Clr") of "R" - at the time you initiate the
reconcile. Anything that changes that net amount will change your opening
balance.

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help