From: Darwin123 on
On Aug 2, 10:23 am, "Geopelia" <phildo...(a)xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> "George Hammond" <Nowhe...(a)notspam.com> wrote in message

> > On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 08:31:39 +0200, Bernhard Schornak
> > <schor...(a)web.de> wrote:

> >>Just my humble opinion. I hate to live in Bavaria as
> >>long as this unholy virus is not put into a jail. It
> >>might not be known in the USA (where most christians
> >>are not catholic), but every educated European knows
> >>about his historical background as Great Inquisitor.
> >>He also was involved in corporal punishment of a lot
> >>of children being held in catholic "residential" and
> >>"approved" schools in the borders of his diocese.
>
> >>Not to speak of his "deeds" as pope, kicking the de-
> >>velopments of the last two centuries back to deepest
> >>Middle Ages. Not to speak of his reactonary books or
> >>public statements.
>
> >>Sorry, but I only have links to German sites. I just
> >>found this one on he fly:
>
> >>http://www.newint.org/issue327/worldbeaters.htm
>
> >>Google for "ratzinger+inquisition" and the likes...
>
> > [Hammond]
> >   I am a Protestant and my family has been Protestant for
> > ten generations as far as I know.  My stepsister called me
> > up in the middle of the night a couple of months ago and
> > told me that she was converting to Catholicism.  I haven't
> > heard anything about it recently but at the time I wrote it
> > off to the fact that she is a redhead.  That's all I know
> > about the Catholic Church other than what I've read in a
> > book.
>
> (rest snipped)
>
> [Geopelia]
> My family were Church of England, but I had relatives (including my
> Godmother) who converted to Catholicism, so I grew up learning about both
> religions.
Isn't the Church of England a form of Catholicism? I thought that
there were three types of Catholicism: Anglican, Roman and Orthodox.
I thought that word "Protestant" technically referred to the
Protest of Martin Luther. I have never heard of King Henry the Eighth
"protesting". Henry "kicked butt", he burnt and beheaded. Henry never
"protested".
> It seems very sad that there should be so much animosity between >the two beliefs, especially in Ireland.
I haven't completely understood. When they say "Irish Catholic,"
are they referring to the Anglican Church? Or are they referring to
one of the derivatives of Lutherism.
> It's not for me to criticize either church, but if I had to pick one I'd be
> C of E.
Sure. It ends up being about the people you most want to be with.
Makes sense.

> I've been agnostic for years now, but still like the old hymns etc.
That is the most sensible criteria for any religion that I
have ever heard |:-) The second most sensible is being with the people
you like the most.
From: Neon on
On Aug 4, 12:25 am, Darwin123 <drosen0...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Aug 2, 10:23 am, "Geopelia" <phildo...(a)xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>

> > "George Hammond" <Nowhe...(a)notspam.com> wrote in message

> > > [Hammond]
> > >   I am a Protestant and my family has been Protestant for
> > > ten generations as far as I know.  My stepsister called me
> > > up in the middle of the night a couple of months ago and
> > > told me that she was converting to Catholicism.  I haven't
> > > heard anything about it recently but at the time I wrote it
> > > off to the fact that she is a redhead.  That's all I know
> > > about the Catholic Church other than what I've read in a
> > > book.
>
> > (rest snipped)
>
> > [Geopelia]
> > My family were Church of England, but I had relatives (including my
> > Godmother) who converted to Catholicism, so I grew up learning about both
> > religions.
>
>     Isn't the Church of England a form of Catholicism? I thought that
> there were three types of Catholicism: Anglican, Roman and Orthodox.
>      I thought that word "Protestant" technically referred to the
> Protest of Martin Luther. I have never heard of King Henry the Eighth
> "protesting".  Henry "kicked butt", he burnt and beheaded. Henry never
> "protested".> It seems very sad that there should be so much animosity between >the two beliefs, especially in Ireland.
>
>     I haven't completely understood. When they say "Irish Catholic,"
> are they referring to the Anglican Church? Or are they referring to
> one of the derivatives of Lutherism.> It's not for me to criticize either church, but if I had to pick one I'd be
> > C of E.
>
>     Sure. It ends up being about the people you most want to be with.
> Makes sense.
>
> > I've been agnostic for years now, but still like the old hymns etc.
>
>          That is the most sensible criteria for any religion that I
> have ever heard |:-) The second most sensible is being with the people
> you like the most.- Hide quoted text -

Don't ask...isn't enough they can go outside of sacred marriage?
From: Geopelia on

"Darwin123" <drosen0000(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Aug 2, 10:23 am, "Geopelia" <phildo...(a)xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> "George Hammond" <Nowhe...(a)notspam.com> wrote in message

> > On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 08:31:39 +0200, Bernhard Schornak
> > <schor...(a)web.de> wrote:

> >>Just my humble opinion. I hate to live in Bavaria as
> >>long as this unholy virus is not put into a jail. It
> >>might not be known in the USA (where most christians
> >>are not catholic), but every educated European knows
> >>about his historical background as Great Inquisitor.
> >>He also was involved in corporal punishment of a lot
> >>of children being held in catholic "residential" and
> >>"approved" schools in the borders of his diocese.
>
> >>Not to speak of his "deeds" as pope, kicking the de-
> >>velopments of the last two centuries back to deepest
> >>Middle Ages. Not to speak of his reactonary books or
> >>public statements.
>
> >>Sorry, but I only have links to German sites. I just
> >>found this one on he fly:
>
> >>http://www.newint.org/issue327/worldbeaters.htm
>
> >>Google for "ratzinger+inquisition" and the likes...
>
> > [Hammond]
> > I am a Protestant and my family has been Protestant for
> > ten generations as far as I know. My stepsister called me
> > up in the middle of the night a couple of months ago and
> > told me that she was converting to Catholicism. I haven't
> > heard anything about it recently but at the time I wrote it
> > off to the fact that she is a redhead. That's all I know
> > about the Catholic Church other than what I've read in a
> > book.
>
> (rest snipped)
>
> [Geopelia]
> My family were Church of England, but I had relatives (including my
> Godmother) who converted to Catholicism, so I grew up learning about both
> religions.

Isn't the Church of England a form of Catholicism? I thought that
there were three types of Catholicism: Anglican, Roman and Orthodox.

[Geopelia]
Isn't Orthodox the Greek Church?

The worship in most English village churches in the forties followed the
Book of Common Prayer services (now superseded, I think). The King James
Bible (KJV) was used for the Lessons.
But there was "High" Church, I think called Anglo Catholic, which apart from
having services in English not Latin, and not being headed by the Pope,
might as well have been Catholic. There was all that incense, genuflecting
and crossing themselves, even Confession. Fine for those who preferred it,
of course. I think they were called the Cowley Fathers, in Oxford.
------------
I thought that word "Protestant" technically referred to the
Protest of Martin Luther. I have never heard of King Henry the Eighth
"protesting". Henry "kicked butt", he burnt and beheaded. Henry never
"protested".
-----------------
Luther was protesting against abuses in the Catholic Church, selling
indulgences etc.

Henry VIII wanted his marriage to Catherine of Aragon ended. (It's a long
story, Google it.)
He ended up Head of the English church, but still following many of the
Catholic practices.

-----------------------
I haven't completely understood. When they say "Irish Catholic,"
are they referring to the Anglican Church? Or are they referring to
one of the derivatives of Lutherism.
----------------------
I think most people say Irish Catholic to distinguish between the Irish and
the Catholics of other races, and the Irish Protestants.
There are Irish Protestants in Eire of course, but far fewer than in
Northern Ireland.

---------------
Sure. It ends up being about the people you most want to be with.
Makes sense.
----------------
And the religion of one's ancestors, back to the Reformation.
Before that, they would all have been Catholics, of course.

In our family, "Chapel" wasn't considered respectable! But the Methodists
have some lovely hymns.

> I've been agnostic for years now, but still like the old hymns etc.

That is the most sensible criteria for any religion that I
have ever heard |:-) The second most sensible is being with the people
you like the most.
----------

Thank goodness these days we can believe anything we like or nothing at all.

From: Bernhard Schornak on
http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/simple_search.cws_home?boost=true&needs_keyword=true&adv=false&action=simple_search&default=default&keywords=hammond&submitTopNav=Search

You did claim your documents were peer-reviewed and
published by Elsevier, but their search engine does
not find any document written by George E. Hammond.

Your claim is falsified - see link above.

------
Q.E.D.
------

One last question: How many people do you think may
worship a god that is computable with a simple cal-
culator?

Greetings from Augsburg

Bernhard Schornak
From: Bernhard Schornak on
John Stafford wrote:

> Bernhard Schornak wrote:
>
>> http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/simple_search.cws_home?boost=true&needs_keywo
>> rd=true&adv=false&action=simple_search&default=default&keywords=hammond&submit
>> TopNav=Search
>>

>> You did claim your documents were peer-reviewed and
>> published by Elsevier, but their search engine does
>> not find any document written by George E. Hammond.
>>
>> Your claim is falsified - see link above.
>
> True. Elsevier does not index Hammond's stuff.
>
> Type George E Hammond into the SCIrUS search to the right of the page.
>
> TY - JOUR
> AU -
> T1 - Volume Contents and Author Index for Volume 12, 1994
> PY - 1994
> JF - New Ideas in Psychology
> VL - 12
> IS - 3
> SP - i
> EP - vii
> UR -
> http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=GatewayURL&_origin=ScienceSearch
> &_method=citationSearch&_piikey=0732118X94900124&_version=1&_returnURL=&m
> d5=7c3d819371f69348c3bb50c7c510556c
> ER -
>
> TY - JOUR
> AU - Hammond, G.E.
> T1 - The Cartesian theory: Unification of Eysenck and Gray
> PY - 1994
> JF - New Ideas in Psychology
> VL - 12
> IS - 2
> SP - 153
> EP - 167
> UR -
> http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=GatewayURL&_origin=ScienceSearch
> &_method=citationSearch&_piikey=0732118X94901058&_version=1&_returnURL=&m
> d5=7282736a2aa475f8291005de86ac4c78
> ER -

George's claim was:

the theory was published in a highly respected
peer-reviewed academic journal. That means that
three PhD reviewer's of professorial rank had to
read this thing and write a written review of it
and formally recommended for publication before
it was published by the world's premier scientific
publisher Elsevier Science Ltd.

[Hammond, 2010-08-02 10:52]

What I see is a paper published in a journal with
(internal) discussions about psychology and a few
speculative papers. Regardless of the content, no
journal ever peer-reviews any papers. This is not
only a matter of costs, it depends on the limited
amount of qualified peer-reviewers, as well. It's
the job of the editor - most times delegated - to
decide which papers will be published. Sometimes,
some cosmetic work is required to fulfill the one
or other standard (vocabulary and style). Besides
that, most books are peer-reviewed by one person,
in general - a second or even third peer-reviewer
only is consulted if there are doubts. That's the
reason why I only searched for books - scientific
work published as a book always is peer-reviewed,
following international standards (a few flaws in
a row can ruin the reputation of a publisher).

Putting it all together, there is no evidence for
George's claim. If his theory ever had been peer-
reviewed by anyone who received a PhD in physics,
history or egyptology, it had been rejected.

I was interested what P.F. Merenda cited from his
paper (context), but $19.95 for downloading a PDF
is beyond good and bad.

>> One last question: How many people do you think may
>> worship a god that is computable with a simple cal-
>> culator?
>
> As many as would fit on a pin head.

Depends on the size of the pin?

Greetings from Augsburg