From: Mayayana on
| Yeah, that's what I thought. I was thinking more about VBA than .NET,
since
| there isn't really any difference that I am aware of between the Office
| programming language and VB 6.0. COM libraries are not part of the
language.

| Seems to me that any "Visual Basic" would be fair game to discuss here
| though.

This has always been a VB group. VB is not the same
as MS Office automation using VBA. There are newsgroups
for those programs. So why argue about whether someone
has a "right" to post here? Why would someone *want*
to post here if most of the people here can't help them?!
(To say nothing of being considerate and not wasting other
peoples' time.)

With VB, VBScript, MS Office VBA (and to some extent
VB.Net) there are a lot of similarities. But there are also
lots of differences. (I've used VB for over a decade, but
I'm not familiar with ":=".) And to say it's mostly a
difference of COM objects misses the point. Office automation
is mostly dealing with those COM objects! For people
who don't use MS Office it's all gobbledygook. What you're
saying is like assuming that questions about the IE DOM
or the Windows Installer object model belong in a VB
group, simply because VB can use those objects. Or VB.Net
for that matter. VB.Net code looks a lot like VB, but most
of it is using objects in the .Net framework, so it's
unreadable from a VB point of view.

So it's not a matter of who has a "right" to post. It's
just common sense to keep questions in the most
relevant group. The location of the relevant group was
posted by "Nobody" before you posted:

microsoft.public.excel.programming

Also:

microsoft.public.word.vba.general
microsoft.public.office.developer.vba
microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
microsoft.public.office.developer.outlook.vba
microsoft.public.access.modulescoding
microsoft.public.powerpoint
alt.comp.microsoft.office

From: dpb on
Mayayana wrote:
> | Yeah, that's what I thought. I was thinking more about VBA than .NET,
> since
> | there isn't really any difference that I am aware of between the Office
> | programming language and VB 6.0. COM libraries are not part of the
> language.
> |
> | Seems to me that any "Visual Basic" would be fair game to discuss here
> | though.
> |

> This has always been a VB group. VB is not the same
> as MS Office automation using VBA. ...

As it has always been VBA and stuff as well...it has mostly been defunct
until the recent plug-pulling by MS of the MS servers.

As folks begin to find the alternatives, there will be a gradual
reshifting of which end up being mostly what.

But, it seems to me, little is accomplished by trying to make something
now out of what evolved from the previous 15+ years unless, as was a
topic of discussion on the potential demise of the m.pub.* hierarchy a
while back, somebody wants to go to the trouble of revising the
charters. Until then, they stand as they do...

From: Kevin Provance on

"Mayayana" <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote in message
: (I've used VB for over a decade, but
: I'm not familiar with ":=".)

That would be Pascal, my newest step child. <g>

SomeVar := Some other var;

From: ralph on
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 02:03:00 -0400, "Kevin Provance" <k(a)p.c> wrote:

>"Mayayana" <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote in message
>: (I've used VB for over a decade, but
>: I'm not familiar with ":=".)
>
>That would be Pascal, my newest step child. <g>
>
>SomeVar := Some other var;

Real Programmers Don't Use Pascal
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/real.programmers.html

-ralph
From: Dee Earley on
On 16/07/2010 03:22, Viken Cerpovna wrote:
> Yeah, that's what I thought. I was thinking more about VBA than .NET,
> since there isn't really any difference that I am aware of between the
> Office programming language and VB 6.0. COM libraries are not part of
> the language.

Yes, syntax is the same (as well as QuickBasic, Phoenix or whatever it's
called now) but the environment that it works in and interacts is very
different for each.

Any decent programmer can normally move freely between languages (except
pascal *action begin*spit*end;* :) but learning the application
framework is what takes the time.

Your question is about an error raised by an Excel specific object, for
which you are much better off asking in an Excel specific place.
I have done maybe 10 hours of Excel VBA programming so can't help,
despite the many years accumulated with VB6.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems