From: ralph on
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 10:16:38 -0400, "Mayayana"
<mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote:

>| It's mentioned at the bottom of:
>| http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa263527(v=VS.60).aspx
>| (It took a bit of searching as it's not in the language reference at all
>:)
>|

>Well I'll be.... Thanks.
>
> It's somewhat confusing, though. It says the following:
>
>"Named arguments are not supported by methods on objects in the Visual Basic
>(VB) object library. They are supported by all language keywords in the
>Visual Basic for applications (VBA) object library."
>
> Their sample is using a Listbox, yet the statement
>above seems to be saying that only language
>keywords support named arguments. ...

The use of "keywords" in this contex is unfortunate. The result of the
author/s trying to be terse and concise, but achieving only the first.
<g>

All they are trying to say is while "Named Arguments" are not
supported by all objects or libraries available in the VB product,
they are commonly supported by objects in the libraries supplied with
products that use VBA.

It is useful to keep in mind when reading MS documentation several key
Gotchas:

1) VB and VBA are proprietory and essentially undocumented 'black box'
products. Whatever documentation is available is often written from a
"Need to Know" point of view. I'm not suggesting the authors are
deliberately trying to be obscure, but there occasions one has to
wonder. <g>

2) Most of the documentation was written by hired users or consumers
of the products, not by the actual developers. They themselves were
often limited on the amount of detail they were given.

3) Also most of the documentation is simply reused from earlier
versions. A workable labor-saving scheme back when MS was dedicated to
backward-compatibility. VB and VBA were originally very distinct
products albeit with a lot of borrowing, and treated as such by MS -
with later versions these distinctions tend to blur with less
"borrowing" and more "sharing".

-ralph

From: ralph on

ie, if a literal translation of MS documention appears ambiguous and a
obscuration - it probably is. <g>
From: Kevin Provance on

"ralph" <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.net> wrote in message
:
: Real Programmers Don't Use Pascal
: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/real.programmers.html

I really enjoyed that. It just further my belief that I was born one or
two decades too late. The kind of lifestyle the Real Programmer leads is
very appealing.

The bit about the guy who hacked the Voyager code to include the program to
photograph the Jupiter moon was exceptionally cool.

From: Kevin Provance on
"Mayayana" <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote in message
: I've been wondering about the Viken Cerpovna
: anagram. Is that another stepchild? Your alter ego?

Actually, it is not. I never put that together. My guess, it's another one
of the dumbass anonymous cowards who think they are the coolest thing since
sliced bread to hide behind phony names in an attempt to irritate me (or
impress me, whichever).

The only thing that would impress me would be for those people to say
whatever they want to say to me using their real names. But lo, this is
Usenet, the Internet...it'll never happen. Say what you want about me, but
I am no coward. I'll put my name behind anything I say. Pity no else else
will.

From: Kevin Provance on

"Viken Cerpovna" <viken(a)spam.com> wrote in message

Interesting twist on my real name there, douchy. Too coward to use your
own? Oh wait...that answer is an obvious YES.

LMAO. The lengths you trolls go to. Too funny.