From: Dee Earley on
On 16/07/2010 05:20, Mayayana wrote:
> With VB, VBScript, MS Office VBA (and to some extent
> VB.Net) there are a lot of similarities. But there are also
> lots of differences. (I've used VB for over a decade, but
> I'm not familiar with ":=".)

That's a standard part of VB6 called named parameters.
Not all objects/method calls support them though.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
From: Mayayana on

| That would be Pascal, my newest step child. <g>
|
| SomeVar := Some other var;

I've been wondering about the Viken Cerpovna
anagram. Is that another stepchild? Your alter ego?

From: Mayayana on
| > I'm not familiar with ":=".)
|
| That's a standard part of VB6 called named parameters.
| Not all objects/method calls support them though.

Ah, I see how it works. I couldn't figure
out how that was interpreted in the posted
code. But I don't see := in MSDN. It's not
in the O'Reilly VB book, and the only references
to that definition of named parameters that
I find seem to be in connection with database
queries. I've never seen anyone use it in VB6
code.

From: Dee Earley on
On 16/07/2010 14:12, Mayayana wrote:
> |> I'm not familiar with ":=".)
> |
> | That's a standard part of VB6 called named parameters.
> | Not all objects/method calls support them though.
> |

> Ah, I see how it works. I couldn't figure
> out how that was interpreted in the posted
> code. But I don't see := in MSDN. It's not
> in the O'Reilly VB book, and the only references
> to that definition of named parameters that
> I find seem to be in connection with database
> queries. I've never seen anyone use it in VB6
> code.

It's mentioned at the bottom of:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa263527(v=VS.60).aspx
(It took a bit of searching as it's not in the language reference at all :)

From: Mayayana on

| It's mentioned at the bottom of:
| http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa263527(v=VS.60).aspx
| (It took a bit of searching as it's not in the language reference at all
:)

Well I'll be.... Thanks.

It's somewhat confusing, though. It says the following:

"Named arguments are not supported by methods on objects in the Visual Basic
(VB) object library. They are supported by all language keywords in the
Visual Basic for applications (VBA) object library."

Their sample is using a Listbox, yet the statement
above seems to be saying that only language
keywords support named arguments. (All of the
controls are in the "VB" library in the object browser,
not the VBA library.)

But in the object
browser, VBA