From: ralph on
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 00:01:54 -0400, "Kevin Provance" <k(a)p.c> wrote:

>"ralph" <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.net> wrote in message
>:
>: Real Programmers Don't Use Pascal
>: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/real.programmers.html
>
>I really enjoyed that. It just further my belief that I was born one or
>two decades too late. The kind of lifestyle the Real Programmer leads is
>very appealing.
>
>The bit about the guy who hacked the Voyager code to include the program to
>photograph the Jupiter moon was exceptionally cool.

I posted that mostly because of the title.

The article is definitely tongue-in-cheek and seriously out-dated.
(One has to be at least 40 to even have a glimmer of the
systems/languages he is talking about.) What tickles me, (and yes I'm
easily entertained), is that "Real Programmer" vs. "Quiche Eaters"
debates still go on in earnst today.

But "Real Programmers" are never tied to a single tool - they shine no
matter what they are given.

The greatest feat I ever saw by a programmer was a 12-year old boy I
met through a local users group, who back in the same time frame as
that article wrote a WYSIWYG Text Editor using Turtle Logo for the
Atari 800. It was amazingly small, performed well, and had as many
features as some of the available "Word Processors" for the Atari at
the time.

Man, was I envious, if not out-right jealous. Not because I desired
the same skill with Turtle Logo, or that I wanted to write s/w for the
Atari, but because I knew then and there - I'm might be more "Real"
than some - but I'd never be a "Real Programmer"! <g>

Wish I had saved his name. If he didn't get hit by a bus, I'm sure he
was and is a major player in computing somewhere.

-ralph
From: Kevin Provance on
:
[...]

Well, regardless your intention, the article was wicked cool. Only a true
geek would appreciate it. I like to this at the very least, I'm one of
those. <g>

From: dpb on
ralph wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 00:01:54 -0400, "Kevin Provance" <k(a)p.c> wrote:
>
>> "ralph" <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.net> wrote in message
>> :
>> : Real Programmers Don't Use Pascal
>> : http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/real.programmers.html
>>
>> I really enjoyed that. It just further my belief that I was born one or
>> two decades too late. The kind of lifestyle the Real Programmer leads is
>> very appealing.
>>
>> The bit about the guy who hacked the Voyager code to include the program to
>> photograph the Jupiter moon was exceptionally cool.
>
> I posted that mostly because of the title.
>
> The article is definitely tongue-in-cheek and seriously out-dated.
> (One has to be at least 40 to even have a glimmer of the
> systems/languages he is talking about.) What tickles me, (and yes I'm
> easily entertained), is that "Real Programmer" vs. "Quiche Eaters"
> debates still go on in earnst today.
>
> But "Real Programmers" are never tied to a single tool - they shine no
> matter what they are given.

Well, being (as are several others who frequent here; I'm not sure just
how old you are Ralph) of an age that I remember well when it was
published and still have the original pages from the issue of Datamation
in a file folder somewhere, I really don't think it all that
outdated--the fact is that in many ways it is, imo, much like Dilbert in
revealing a fair amount of fundamental truth via humor.

There's a new generation of quiche eaters spawned with every new latest
craze and while there is indeed something to be learned and gained,
there's much that is true in the roots of coding skill and use of
resources that seems lost to glitz and flash and ever increasing clocks
and gigabytes of memory.

From: Viken Cerpovna on
"Mayayana" <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote in message

> | That would be Pascal, my newest step child. <g>
> |
> | SomeVar := Some other var;
> |

> I've been wondering about the Viken Cerpovna
> anagram. Is that another stepchild? Your alter ego?

Excuse me? Anagram for what?

I realize it's not a common name, I'm part Russian and part Lebanese, but do
you have to make fun of it? What is a Mayayannayanna? Are you one of those
cowards who can't use his real name?

Viken

From: Viken Cerpovna on
> | Seems to me that any "Visual Basic" would be fair game to discuss here
> | though.
> |

> This has always been a VB group. VB is not the same
> as MS Office automation using VBA. There are newsgroups
> for those programs. So why argue about whether someone
> has a "right" to post here? Why would someone *want*
> to post here if most of the people here can't help them?!
> (To say nothing of being considerate and not wasting other
> peoples' time.)

Sorry, the languages are the same. I've used both long enough to know. VB is
Visual Basic. It does not refer to any particular incarnation or version.

Really, I have not been here long enough to know who knows what here. Do
you?

You seem to think that if you do not know the answer then other people here
do not know either.

> With VB, VBScript, MS Office VBA (and to some extent
> VB.Net) there are a lot of similarities. But there are also
> lots of differences. (I've used VB for over a decade, but
> I'm not familiar with ":=".) And to say it's mostly a
> difference of COM objects misses the point. Office automation
> is mostly dealing with those COM objects! For people
> who don't use MS Office it's all gobbledygook. What you're
> saying is like assuming that questions about the IE DOM
> or the Windows Installer object model belong in a VB
> group, simply because VB can use those objects. Or VB.Net
> for that matter. VB.Net code looks a lot like VB, but most
> of it is using objects in the .Net framework, so it's
> unreadable from a VB point of view.

So if someone asks a question about VB and ADO we tell them to go somewhere
else?

Still have not answered the question. The group says
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc, not comp.lang.basic.visual.vb6.misc.

> So it's not a matter of who has a "right" to post. It's
> just common sense to keep questions in the most
> relevant group. The location of the relevant group was
> posted by "Nobody" before you posted:

Yes, but who decides what is relevant? You?

> microsoft.public.excel.programming
>
> Also:
>
> microsoft.public.word.vba.general
> microsoft.public.office.developer.vba
> microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
> microsoft.public.office.developer.outlook.vba
> microsoft.public.access.modulescoding
> microsoft.public.powerpoint
> alt.comp.microsoft.office

Yes, could be useful but their existence has nothing to do with what this
group is for.

Thanks,

Viken