From: FrankW on
Geeeezzzzz you guys are to much!
Take away the cad system (any one) and replace it with a pencil/eraser
and drafting table.
Then tell me how much it sucks.

From: sbpowdercoating on
Thanks for your feedback guys. Now that I have your attention ; )
Here's the whole story...

(Posted by André.)

Here's my situation:

We design and build Kiosks. Our sales department designs "dummy"
models in solidworks and then exports it to get rendered for the
client to approve, and that usually works out fine. The models are
fully solid, only surface details, etc.

When it comes to actually building the unit though, we've been unsure
how to proceed. The shop used to use Autocad and it would take a week
to update any kind of details for the shop drawings. About a year
ago,
they decided to "get with the times" and get a solid modeller.
Solidworks (basic version) was what was chosen at the time (pro-e is
still a little pricey, and the designer had bad experiences with
Inventor). Having a solid model driving the drawings would make
updating a breeze, or so we thought.

When it comes time to actually model a unit though, it seems to be
more complicated than we anticipated. They are made of wood primarily
(plywood, etc), with metal accessories (handles, slides, hinges,
etc).
Our first project was done as an assembly, with each panel of wood a
seperate part, but the assembly started to get overly complicated
REALLY quickly. Our project folders were immense, for what seemed
like
a simple product. For our drawings, we typically have to show a fully
assemebled unit, cross sections, indicating the panel ID's to
reference a cut-list. Sometimes drawer front or something would be
shown individually. As an assembly, it wasn't too hard to put
together
the required assemblies to insert into our drawing package, but the
actual design time was much longer than intended.

We then tried doing a welded assembly. This greatly sped up design
time, not having to name each part individually, deal with mates,
etc.
We could model a whole unit in a day or two. But then came the tricky
part: doing the drawings. Cross sections were 'ok' (semmed a little
slow to work with though). But when it came time to show only a few
of
the solid bodies as a seperate "assembly" in the drawing package,
were
we unsure of the best way to seperate that from the original welded
assembly. We originally selected the individual bodies, then selected
'insert into new part', and while thats fine as-is, we often found
ourselves wanting to add or remove a body from that 'export' we just
did, so as to still stay parametric to the original welded assembly,
but we couldn';t accomplish this without deleting it and basiacally
starting over; losing all the work we had done in the drawing. We
also
considered configurations, but that ended up being terribly slow,
seeming like it loaded thw whole assembly each time we wanted to do a
view, and it ended up taking 30+ seconds to switch pages in our
drawing package.

Basically we're at a loss, everything seems too slow and clunky to
work like we would want to. Our computers are by no means slow, 2
gigs
of ram, dual core intel bla bla..

Does anyone else have experience building and detailing assemblies of
this sort? what would you suggest? How would you go about building it
from the ground up? welded assembly? plain old assembly modeling?
configurations? etc? Anything suggestion that could help speed this
process up would help, and our VAR doesn't seem to be much help. If
you work with large assemblies, what tricks do you use to keep your
software running smoothly? opening a drawing package right now takes
ages, let along switching pages, it's getting quite irritating.

I had previously used solidworks in a machine shop for years and had
honestly no complaints, since i really wasn't working with large
assemblies, i was mostly dealing with sometimes complex, single
models
to be machined on CNC, quite a different world i tell ya!

Thanks!

André Richard
The idiot that suggested Solidworks.

From: Bo on
On Apr 4, 7:56 am, sbpowdercoat...(a)gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> of ram, dual core intel bla bla..
>
> Does anyone else have experience building and detailing assemblies of
> this sort? what would you suggest? How would you go about building it
> from the ground up? welded assembly? plain old assembly modeling?
> configurations? etc? Anything suggestion that could help speed this
> process up would help, and our VAR doesn't seem to be much help. If
> you work with large assemblies, what tricks do you use to keep your
> software running smoothly? opening a drawing package right now takes
> ages, let along switching pages, it's getting quite irritating.
>
> I had previously used solidworks in a machine shop for years and had
> honestly no complaints, since i really wasn't working with large
> assemblies, i was mostly dealing with sometimes complex, single
> models
> to be machined on CNC, quite a different world i tell ya!

I know there are a number of users who do large assemblies who will
answer questions in this group, and some of them are consultants who
help with planning implementation of SolidWorks and training, and one
of those may be a great help if you were to find a CSWP consultant
near you.

I remember discussions on this group of large assembly techniques,
lightweight parts, just suppressing certain parts or subassemblies,
using design tables to drive a family of similar products &
configurations in both parts and assemblies, limiting rebuilds and
more. You can use those key words to quickly search out some of those
techniques discussed in the past. I think these will get you some
help.

Bo

From: devlin on
On Apr 4, 7:35 am, "Bo" <b...(a)tilikum.com> wrote:
> On Apr 4, 4:30 am, sbpowdercoat...(a)gmail.com wrote:
>
> > lol... I knew a topic like that would start Great conversations.
> > Thruth is I'm no salesman trying to bash SW. I'm just a poor old Pre-
> > Cad Tech user that converted to SW a year ago. I totally agree with
> > Devlin's comment of the slow (parts/assemblies' drawings). Has for the
> > hatching... Selecting none in the property manager doesn't do a thing
> > (at least not with the 2006 SP2.1version). I don't think I need to
> > get all techinical to say that SW suck's the work I do is mostly very
> > basic stuff. Parts, assm, dwgs... But if the program can't even select
> > a line to put a dimension on without giving me a fuss... Not that's
> > not very efficient is it?
>
> > Still wouln'd buy a Kia...
>
> > Cheers!
>
> "Slow" is a relative term, and I've been designing parts for over 30
> years, over 20 on CAD. The 68040 Macs may have been slow, but I got
> good 2D work done on them in the late 80s. It was a good tool for my
> jobs. I've done assemblies with 5-6 dozen parts where every part is
> rounded-conical and assemblies start to slow down, but SWks is good
> for the job, and that is on a 1.7Ghz M60 laptop or my MacBook Pro.
>
> I've never had to use techniques with SWks to allow me to work with
> larger assemblies, but I know I've listened to more experienced SWks
> users discuss it on this Newsgroup as to techniques to make it work
> better, and some users here have put up papers on working with large
> assemblies. Still, if I got boxed down on speed, I'ld upgrade
> hardware quickly (the new Intel processors are almost here). Hardware
> includes the PC its accessories (& crapware in the OS that must be
> removed or zapped), the network, the server, and its software.
>
> If Swks would not cut it for large assemblies with good hardware and
> best large assembly techniques, I would simply pick a better tool, pay
> for it and learn it. CAD programs are just another tool. I wouldn't
> pick a Bridgeport mill to make an injection mold cavity in this day
> and age, and I wouldn't pick a knee mill with a CNC add-on to do hard
> SS milling, as it is the wrong tool for the job.
>
> "Fuss" is sort of relative, too. I've never had trouble dimensioning
> my simpler parts either in the solids or in drawings, & frankly don't
> remember hearing about not being able to select a line to dimension on
> this group, but I could have just passed it by. I assume that if
> there is a situation about dimensioning a line that is common, various
> people reported it and others are working on fixing it. What type of
> line gives a "Fuss"?
>
> So let's look at these nebulous terms "slow" and "fuss" and see what
> options exist to deal with them. There may be some answers
> hereabouts.
>
> Bo

It's not quite as simple as that. The reasons why SW is as popular as
it is are for the very reasons that John H has said. I saw it first
hand working for a VAR. Many people hadn't heard of anything except SW
and in fact many people honestly think that SW is the only 3d mech
package around. Then you show them a fancy pre-canned carefully
crafted demo and they're blown away. Demos that include garbage like
autoballooning and autodimension etc. etc. that NEVER work in the real
world.

So here I am, an experienced mechanical designer that is looking for
work. Which software package do I need to know to be employable?
Whichever is popular, not which is best.

Fortunately I'm working with a group of design consultants now that
are working directly for manufacturers and we're in a position to
choose whichever CAD package we need. Right now we're seriously
looking at ProE because there are people around here that know it. In
my neck of the woods it's all SW, ProE and Inventor.

While I'm continuing to rant I'll share another reason I'm PO'd at SW.
At this very moment I'm trying to hide certain edges in a drawing. SW
places edges over top of edges (big no-no in ACAD). When I select an
edge it invariably hides the entire edge if you know what I mean and
the screws up the drawing. Quite literally my very next move is the
undo button which does NOTHING. Then I try to select the edge to show
the edge and this fails too. Now I'm stuck with a screwed up section
view. This very problem has persisted in SW since the day I started
with it.

Thankfully SW now allows you to add a fancy diamond plate skin to the
feature manager because I really need that.

From: Dale Dunn on
> places edges over top of edges (big no-no in ACAD). When I select an
> edge it invariably hides the entire edge if you know what I mean and
> the screws up the drawing. Quite literally my very next move is the
> undo button which does NOTHING.

Apart from well desrved rants about how Undo is next to useless...

Do you get better edge selection when you hold the shift key?
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: swApp Events and C#
Next: AddControl with bitmaps