From: John H on

<devlin(a)semmlerclan.com> wrote >> Why can't you use the "Show parts only"
option on the BOM? With that
>> all parts, even those in subassemblies, will be shown in a single BOM.
>> Even if subassemblies did show, you can exclude them from the BOM using
>> the BOM Contents option in the Properties of the BOM.
>>
>> Am I missing something?- Hide quoted text -

> I do have some subassemblies too though. I could be wrong but I think
> if I "show parts only" then I'm showing all parts, no subassemblies
> even thought there are subs that I want shown as subs. Know what I
> mean?

To change hats and come to SWX's defence for a minute......and then "dis" it
again at the end.

You CAN have as many levels of sub-assemblies as you like and still show all
the parts in the BOM as if they were added to the top level using the "show
parts only" command. It is totally mis-named and ought to be called "show
all components".

You can also mark each "dummy" sub-assy (i.e. ones that are just containers
to simplify the assy structure) so that they do not appear in the BOM, but
their contents still do.

Having said all that, it doesn't work that reliably for me. I've got a
small assembly which uses sub-assys to let me add in groups of optional
extras. Quite often many of the lines of the BOM are blank, or only some of
the columns are populated, but if I do enough ctrl-Q rebuilds it eventually
sorts itself out.

I've got another larger assy (not huge though) with sub-assys, and depending
on which rebuild you look at, the number of items in the BOM varies between
51 and 58 !!

From: John H on

"fcsuper" <fcsuper(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> John H,
>
> I couldn't disagree with you more. It's ridiculous to say that a
> software took over the market because it has an easy to remember
> name.
Did I say that was the only reason?
From what I've seen of various CAD journals down the years, SWX has been THE
most heavily advertised 3D package. Combine that with a cool, quite clever
and easy-to-remember name, and it greatly helps the marketing effort.

> Being less expensive than ProE was a factor, but there still
> has to be a good product there to hold the customer for years.
Unless you create one-off, bespoke designs, changing CAD systems is a
nightmare most companies won't contemplate unless there's an issue that's a
complete job-stopper.

> Kia does have 600,000 owners, but how many of them will buy a Kia as their
> next car? With SolidWorks, retension has been vital.
>
> As far as the "as many flaws as strengths" statement. Well, the grass
> is always greener somewhere else. :) However, there's a reason ProE
> fell far behind and why Inventor doesn't dominant the market (which
> should've happened a couple years ago if what you are suggesting was
> true).
Not at all - the wider world hasn't heard of Inventor, but everyone has
heard of Autocad.

>It's because it is a great package for the price. And ya'no,
> it's even a better package for the price now more than ever.

The lack of PDM in the lower-end offerings is shameful, and the price when
you include them is not attractive. You could get I-DEAS with PDM as
standard for less than SWX (the merging with NX has killed that off). Sure,
there were some things missing at that price (sheet metal for example), but
it gives the lie to the argument that SWX is currently "great package for
the price".
I think it would be more accurate to say "an OK package for the price".

John H

John H

From: JOJO on
Why do all machine design guys think they are the center of the world,
concerning their work with 3D CAD software?
Of cause the amount of users of the nuts an bolts fraction are considerable,
but they are definitely no measure for the requirements of a sophisticated
and powerful cad software. Their only problem seems to be the amount
of parts the software is still able to handle and to flatten 3d data again
to 2d paper drawings with millions of crossing lines. ;-)

LOL 10.000 +++ parts consisting of piled up boxes and cylinders, only crude
geometry. That�s nothin�you need a cad software, you just need to take
some nice coloured wooden building blocks ;-)

I bet that I can also force down the performance of SW with only one single
complex part of a consumer good, designed for injection molding.

And that�s real frustrating to me to see that SW still can�t handle complex
geometry, surface-tangencies and precise predictable spline behavior in an
acceptable and efficient way.

Not to mention all further shortcomings of SW: bug legacies reaching back to
2001+, painful instalation, the lack of stability, altered geoetry,
redundant gadgets, decreasing quality while price is steadily increasing

just my 2cents of a non machine design guy

happy flaming ;-)

JoJo

From: Dale Dunn on
> I was hoping this one was going to work.... Seemed to be the most
> logical.

Hmm. It does work for me, all the time. This is how I do some hydraulic
cylinders, as flexible subs. I wonder what I'm doing differently.
From: TOP on
JoJo,

Guess you never tried a machined project for real men like say an
eight cyllinder internal combustion engine. With all the castings and
forgings you have the worst of both worlds, complex geometry, drafts
and fillets galore and lots of parts. Isn't just the ID guys that do
complex.

TOP

PS You haven't lived till you've done a watercooled cylinder head
casting.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: swApp Events and C#