From: Dale Dunn on
Ok, the BOM issue has been pretty well thrashed, I think. About the
weldments: It sounds like you have a raw weldment with in-context
features to the assembly. The raw weldment is inserted into the machined
part file, which also has features in-context to the same assembly? Ouch.
Every rebuild of the assembly rebuilds the in-context raw weldment, and
finished weldment, then marks the finished weldment as needing a requild?
Or does it begin another round of assembly rebuild to bring the machined
weldment up to date? Either way, that sounds like some nasty multipass
rebuilding there, and a great change for circular refernces to sneak in.

Is there a better way? I'm thinking... Would your document process allow
this: Do the whole weldment in raw and finished configurations of the
same part. Insert the weldment configuration into a blank part file to
satisfy the filing system. That would get the weldment done in one
rebuild pass on the assembly, vs. two or more. The raw weldment would
only get rebuilt when working on the drawing.

I can't help with drawings of weldments. Last I checked, that just
sucked, no matter how it compares to the competition. There's a lot of
room for improvement there. Welds... don't get me started on weld models
and annotations.

I'm not sure I correctly grasp your weldments situation, but I hope I at
least gave you an idea or two for making things incrementally better.
It's a constant struggle, figuring out how to structure parts and
assemblies to achieve efficient rebuilds. Some say that we shouldn't have
to be thinking about this. I'm not sure I agree. All tools have right and
wrong ways to be used. The tools in CAD systems are no different on that
point.

Having said all that, we know from other systems that SW could be faster
by quite a large margin. I totally get being frustrated with that.
There's a lot that could be done, and not much sign of progress.
From: devlin on
On Apr 5, 9:05 am, Dale Dunn <daled...(a)atjamestool.com> wrote:
> Ok, the BOM issue has been pretty well thrashed, I think. About the
> weldments: It sounds like you have a raw weldment with in-context
> features to the assembly. The raw weldment is inserted into the machined
> part file, which also has features in-context to the same assembly? Ouch.
> Every rebuild of the assembly rebuilds the in-context raw weldment, and
> finished weldment, then marks the finished weldment as needing a requild?
> Or does it begin another round of assembly rebuild to bring the machined
> weldment up to date? Either way, that sounds like some nasty multipass
> rebuilding there, and a great change for circular refernces to sneak in.
>
> Is there a better way? I'm thinking... Would your document process allow
> this: Do the whole weldment in raw and finished configurations of the
> same part. Insert the weldment configuration into a blank part file to
> satisfy the filing system. That would get the weldment done in one
> rebuild pass on the assembly, vs. two or more. The raw weldment would
> only get rebuilt when working on the drawing.
>
> I can't help with drawings of weldments. Last I checked, that just
> sucked, no matter how it compares to the competition. There's a lot of
> room for improvement there. Welds... don't get me started on weld models
> and annotations.
>
> I'm not sure I correctly grasp your weldments situation, but I hope I at
> least gave you an idea or two for making things incrementally better.
> It's a constant struggle, figuring out how to structure parts and
> assemblies to achieve efficient rebuilds. Some say that we shouldn't have
> to be thinking about this. I'm not sure I agree. All tools have right and
> wrong ways to be used. The tools in CAD systems are no different on that
> point.
>
> Having said all that, we know from other systems that SW could be faster
> by quite a large margin. I totally get being frustrated with that.
> There's a lot that could be done, and not much sign of progress.

Dale, you wrote " Do the whole weldment in raw and finished
configurations of the
same part. Insert the weldment configuration into a blank part file
satisfy the filing system. " That is exactly what I'm doing. I'm not
inserting weldment parts into an assembly I'm creating a weldment part
file and inserting it into another part file to machine. I would never
do weldments as incontext assemblies, way too slow for SW.

From: devlin on
On Apr 5, 8:36 am, Dale Dunn <daled...(a)atjamestool.com> wrote:
> > I was hoping this one was going to work.... Seemed to be the most
> > logical.
>
> Hmm. It does work for me, all the time. This is how I do some hydraulic
> cylinders, as flexible subs. I wonder what I'm doing differently.

I'm not sure I know what you mean. I use hydraulic cylinders as
flexible subs too. If I have other parts then I want them to display
in the BOM as individual items and the cyl to be an individual item as
well. I haven't had any success using dummy subs as was illustrated by
someone else.

From: devlin on
On Apr 3, 1:25 pm, sbpowdercoat...(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Just found this Forum... Glad to see that people still have hope in
> Solidworks. The techsupport people send me E Drawings for dummies ; )
> I've been using Solidworks at work for a year now (not by choice). And
> I have to tell y'a if I had been givin the choice we would be running
> ProE instead of that low end package. Don't get me wrong Solid works
> is great for drawing pretty pictures and all. But to get actual work
> done. Pffffff... The 2005 version can't even do a cross section
> without the hatching. Telling you lots of fudging lot of waiting but
> certainly no performance. I'm going back to CAD. XYZ here I come...
>
> Cheers!
>
> M.Design

Straight from a colleague who switched to ProE from SW and is working
with other designers that also had SW experience prior to ProE. Take
it for what it's worth.....

.......Solidworks users and prefer it (ProE) based on stability and
large assy performance. The downside is the interface and menus are
weak compared to SW and the time to get up and productive is
definitely longer. Also, I've personally found reseller support
lacking.

So, it basically corroborates what I was saying. SW has better vendor
network and is certainly easier to use by from a purely technical
standpoint ProE is more stable and faster. Speed and lack of flaky
bugs would be the most important thing to me, that may vary for each
of you so draw your own conclusions.

End of rant.

From: Dale Dunn on

> I'm not sure I know what you mean. I use hydraulic cylinders as
> flexible subs too. If I have other parts then I want them to display
> in the BOM as individual items and the cyl to be an individual item as
> well. I haven't had any success using dummy subs as was illustrated by
> someone else.

I mean that I have the subassembly show as a single item in the BOM, which
is set to parts only. The "do no show child components in BOM..." setting
does this for me without any trouble.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: swApp Events and C#