From: Savageduck on
On 2009-09-29 15:28:31 -0700, "mikey4" <lakediver(a)dd..net> said:

> "Savageduck" <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>> On 2009-09-29 10:09:13 -0700, "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net>
>> said:
>>

>>> "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message

>>> [ . . . ]

>>> No, I was right. Just Googled it and this source says S&W started
>>> manufacturing their first revolver in 1856:
>>> http://www.answers.com/topic/smith-wesson
>>>
>>> That's actually a bit earlier than I thought. I thought it was about
>>> 1859.
>>> But I was fairly sure that some Union officers were buying S&W Model 1s
>>> as
>>> personal weapons at the very beginning of the so-called Civil War (1861).
>>
>> Well I am relieved to find some common ground in this current polarized
>> mess we are living in.
>> Who ever said guns weren't fun?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Savageduck
>>
> I have a 30-40 Craig as well as several handguns and I try to shot as often
> as I can.
> Target shooting, for me at least, is relaxing, like fishing; a chance to
> empty ones mind of the day to day BS.

Is that the Americanized spelling of "Krag" as in Krag-Jorgensen?
It is commonly mispronounced in the US as "Craig", correctly pronounced
"Krag" to rhyme with "flag."

It was our weapon for the Spanish-American War. When it was out
performed by the Mauser it was replaced by the Springfield M1903, our
Mauser design.
The Krag had a great action, but an awkward magazine.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: mikey4 on

> On 2009-09-29 15:28:31 -0700, "mikey4" <lakediver(a)dd..net> said:
>

>> "Savageduck" <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> Well I am relieved to find some common ground in this current polarized
>>> mess we are living in.
>>> Who ever said guns weren't fun?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Savageduck
>>>
>> I have a 30-40 Craig as well as several handguns and I try to shot as
>> often
>> as I can.
>> Target shooting, for me at least, is relaxing, like fishing; a chance to
>> empty ones mind of the day to day BS.
>
> Is that the Americanized spelling of "Krag" as in Krag-Jorgensen?
> It is commonly mispronounced in the US as "Craig", correctly pronounced
> "Krag" to rhyme with "flag."
>
> It was our weapon for the Spanish-American War. When it was out performed
> by the Mauser it was replaced by the Springfield M1903, our Mauser design.
> The Krag had a great action, but an awkward magazine.
>
> --
That's Krag, I hit the spell check to soon.
I haven't fired it in quite some time. I did kill several deer with it
though when I lived in WA.
Dead on at 100 yards with plenty of kill power.
I had hoped to inherit my dads Ruger Blackhawk single action 44 magnum. He
was the first one, in the town where he was a special deputy, to own the
Blackhawk. I really enjoyed my trips to the local dump for a little target
shooting. Anyway I found out the revolver went to a family member who sold
it. Along with the revolver went a custom made and tooled gun belt with a
holster that allowed the revolver to be drawn straight through the front.
What a shame :(

From: Bill Graham on

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> tony cooper wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 23:44:17 -0700, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Be sure to write the first time you encounter a CHP officer with your
>>> idea that you have an inherent right to carry a concealed weapon
>>> without a permit. I'd be interested to see how that plays out.
>>>
>>> I have spent many happy hours arguing exactly that with California
>>> Police officers......My wife's grandson-in-law happens to be one. In
>>> many cases they agree with my position on the matter.
>>
>> This is the ChrisH School of Reasoning. If you know one person who
>> shares your opinion, that means "everyone" agrees with you.
>
> I had a police officer explain matters to me this way:
>
> "If you shoot me when I come to enforce a gun ban, I won't hold it against
> you."
>
> Many police disagree with some of the laws that they are required to
> enforce, but they do their jobs anyway.

They shouldn't. "It is the responsibility, not the right, of good men to
disobey bad laws." - Spencer Tracy, in "Judgment at Nuremberg."

From: Savageduck on
On 2009-09-29 17:10:25 -0700, "mikey4" <lakediver(a)dd..net> said:

> "Savageduck" <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>> On 2009-09-29 15:28:31 -0700, "mikey4" <lakediver(a)dd..net> said:
>>

>>> "Savageduck" <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> I have a 30-40 Craig as well as several handguns and I try to shot as
>>> often
>>> as I can.
>>> Target shooting, for me at least, is relaxing, like fishing; a chance to
>>> empty ones mind of the day to day BS.
>>
>> Is that the Americanized spelling of "Krag" as in Krag-Jorgensen?
>> It is commonly mispronounced in the US as "Craig", correctly pronounced
>> "Krag" to rhyme with "flag."
>>
>> It was our weapon for the Spanish-American War. When it was out performed
>> by the Mauser it was replaced by the Springfield M1903, our Mauser design.
>> The Krag had a great action, but an awkward magazine.
>>
>> --
> That's Krag, I hit the spell check to soon.
> I haven't fired it in quite some time. I did kill several deer with it
> though when I lived in WA.
> Dead on at 100 yards with plenty of kill power.
> I had hoped to inherit my dads Ruger Blackhawk single action 44 magnum. He
> was the first one, in the town where he was a special deputy, to own the
> Blackhawk. I really enjoyed my trips to the local dump for a little target
> shooting. Anyway I found out the revolver went to a family member who sold
> it. Along with the revolver went a custom made and tooled gun belt with a
> holster that allowed the revolver to be drawn straight through the front.
> What a shame :(

THAT! Is worthy of a family vendetta!
What were they thinking??
The Super Blackhawk is a beautiful piece and should have been
considered a valuable piece of family heritage.
Agreed. What a shame.
--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Neil Harrington on

"Savageduck" <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
> On 2009-09-29 10:09:13 -0700, "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net>
> said:
>

>> "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Savageduck" <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>>
>> [ . . . ]

>>> I thought a little earlier than that, but I could be wrong.
>>
>> No, I was right. Just Googled it and this source says S&W started
>> manufacturing their first revolver in 1856:
>> http://www.answers.com/topic/smith-wesson
>>
>> That's actually a bit earlier than I thought. I thought it was about
>> 1859.
>> But I was fairly sure that some Union officers were buying S&W Model 1s
>> as
>> personal weapons at the very beginning of the so-called Civil War (1861).
>
> Well I am relieved to find some common ground in this current polarized
> mess we are living in.
> Who ever said guns weren't fun?

<chuckle>

No argument there.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97
Prev: Pittsburgh
Next: Incompatible jpeg?