From: Rhonda Lea Kirk on
kurt wismer wrote:
> David H. Lipman wrote:
>> From: {someone in my killfile}

>>> We live in a society that believes strongly in rehabilitation.
>>> Therefore, when people turn over a new leaf, they're given another
>>> chance.
>>>
>>> How does that make for a conspiracy?

>>> How does your desire to be in the know supersede another's right to
>>> privacy?
>
> a claim was made, it's accuracy is in question, the burden of proof
> lies with the claimant...

He doesn't have to prove it, unless he really cares to have you believe
his assertion is true.

>> The conspiracy is the misperception that the anti virus industry
>> creates the malware to prop up the industry and keep themselves in
>> business. They ignore the realities such as organized crime being a
>> major source.
>
> yeah, so about that burden...

You're assuming that he owes you an explanation.

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk

Happiness limits the amount of suffering one is
willing to inflict on others. Ph�dre n� Delaunay

From: optikl on

"Rhonda Lea Kirk" <rhondalea(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> kurt wismer wrote:
>> David H. Lipman wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> BTW: There are *many* in the anti virus industry that were once
>>> creators.
>>
>> which seemingly translates to 'av companies hire virus writers and/or
>> ex virus writers'...
>>
>> if you're going to feed the conspiracy nuts
>
> We live in a society that believes strongly in rehabilitation. Therefore,
> when people turn over a new leaf, they're given another chance.

Could you be more specific about which society you speak of? This is a
rather broad audience.

From: Rhonda Lea Kirk on
optikl wrote:
> "Rhonda Lea Kirk" <rhondalea(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> kurt wismer wrote:
>>> David H. Lipman wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> which seemingly translates to 'av companies hire virus writers
>>> and/or ex virus writers'...
>>>
>>> if you're going to feed the conspiracy nuts
>>
>> We live in a society that believes strongly in rehabilitation.
>> Therefore, when people turn over a new leaf, they're given another
>> chance.
> Could you be more specific about which society you speak of?

Most societies, actually.

There are very few places left where one cannot expect a second chance
for less than major crimes.

> This is a
> rather broad audience.

I'll wait to hear from someone in the audience who lives in a society
that does not believe in rehabilitation.

If you want to make an argument that says ex-virus writers must not be
allowed to work in the antivirus industry, make that argument. I'm not
going to debate this, because it's a strawman, even if I inadvertantly
set it up for you because I didn't express an idea as carefully as I
could have done.

From: Dustin Cook on
"4Q" <paul_zest(a)hushmail.com> wrote in

> David H. Lipman wrote:
>> From: "4Q" <paul_zest(a)hushmail.com>
>>

>> | See Raid this is why you need to release Bughunter as Opensource
>> | and your peers can vouch for your integrity.
>> |
>> | 4Q
>>
>> BugHunter is clean of malware and does not exibit any form of
>> exploitation.
>
> It's so nice to see one of Dustin's fellow anti-malware colleagues
> come forth to vouch for him! (I see a super hero duo being formed
> here ;]])

Like I said, I don't need open source. I do have people who can vouch for
me, well respected individuals. My past is exactly that, the past. People
won't be able to look down on me forever. When I hit 10,000 or more hits,
can anyone really still deny BugHunter's usefulness? Regardless of the
fact an ex-Vxer wrote it.

> & Dustin Cook as 'Robin(red breast)' <-- no picture or costume yet?!?
> working on it *grin*

I tell you what bro, since I rarely release photos or anything else
personal of that sort, I'll send you and Laura a recent pic of me for
your sites. Ok? Perhaps when people can link a face to me, they won't
think of me as low as some do now. :)

> So he might jump back? This hero partnership of yours is going to be
> strained from the outset if you can't trust your own sidekick,
> Lipman! ;]]

I believe I have David's trust, atleast some. :)

--
Dustin Cook
Author of BugHunter - MalWare Removal Tool - V2.1
From: Dustin Cook on
kurt wismer <kurtw(a)sympatico.ca> wrote in news:epr8pe$847$1(a)aioe.org:

> David H. Lipman wrote:
> [snip]
>> BTW: There are *many* in the anti virus industry that were once
>> creators.
>
> which seemingly translates to 'av companies hire virus writers and/or
> ex virus writers'...

The antivirus industry as a whole is bigger than a few companies that are
household names. While this might surprise you, I was on a first name
basis years ago with several Antivirus persons. I won't tell you who they
are, so you can either believe me or not. I only mentioned the fact I
corresponded with a few for the point I hope to make easy enough to
follow. :)

> if you're going to feed the conspiracy nuts you're going to have to
> pay the conspiracy tax so . . . names please...

This is something that simply shouldn't be done. Seriously. Some persons
take vxers/exvxers very wrongly. Serious misunderstanding about the type
of persons we usually are. The antivirus companies of course make no
effort to change this public image. In some cases, the company itself may
not even be aware of ones online history, depending on how that person
chose to be. Some people are different online than they are in real life.
Others, like myself, Are the same online as we are in real life. I do not
maintain dual personalities etc, As a programmer, I'm lazy, and that's
just too damn time consuming. What you see is what you get with me.

Case in point, If I'm willing to tell you to go away or get fucked
online, you can be rest assured regardless of how big or who you are, I'd
do the same in real life as well. I'm very upfront and to the point, it's
the way I was brought up. Some people consider this rude right off the
bat, even when I didn't intend to be.

I have known you for a very long time, and I do hold you in high respect,
but I wouldn't if I was David be able to provide evidence in this case,
not because their isn't any, but because those individuals activities
under their assumed identity should not become public knowledge with a
real name unless those authors choose to do so, like stormbringer and
myself.

Putting a persons job or his/her freedom at stake just to satisfy a
usenet poster is just to risky and immature. Nothing is really gained by
this. David's comments do not extend the silly notion that antivirus
companies make the viruses. Plain old fashioned, stupidity lets that
rumour live.

In most cases, those involved in the antimalware side of things are not
actively coding viruses. If they're still even maintaining contact with
other Vxers, their time is spent writing/testing productive code.

Vxers can't really be described simply Kurt, it's not black and white.

Rhonda,

I've read your comments lately discussing the matter, for some reason, it
almost looks like you and I agree. With your permission, I'd like to
email you and remove you from my killfile.

--
Dustin Cook
Author of BugHunter - MalWare Removal Tool - V2.1
web: http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk
email: bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com.removethis
Last updated: January 30th, 2007
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: RMD sarcaxxo