From: Howaret Ings on
Gareth Slee <gax.slee(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I've always had Apple users down as intelligent and slightly eccentric.
> All my experiences here confirm those suspicions :-)
>
> Got me thinking about what the preferred tipple would be for a crowd
> like that?
> I'll start the ball rolling.
>
> Mine's Gin...

Heiniken, cold when I arrive home after a busy night in work.
Guinness when in the Pub
Red wine at other times.

Have at least 30 bottles of various spirits gathering dust. Correction
at least 29, we polished off the Baileys last night and wasn't too dusty
either.

Cheers,
Peter
--
How are t'ings?
From: xkylet on
Jim wrote:
> Gareth Slee <gax.slee(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> > I've always had Apple users down as intelligent and slightly eccentric.
> > All my experiences here confirm those suspicions :-)
> >
> > Got me thinking about what the preferred tipple would be for a crowd
> > like that?
> > I'll start the ball rolling.
> >
> > Mine's Gin...
>
> Whisky.

Phew, I thought there wasn't an Isle of Jura there for a mo, but I
found it.

I asked my grandmother for a 30 year old whisky for my 30th, she agreed
until she saw the prices...

So she bought be back a JD from Tennessee instead, not quite the same,
bless her.

kt.

From: Rob E on

"Jon B" <black.hole(a)jonbradbury.com> wrote in message
> Hugh Browton <useneth@**.not.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 16:24:34 +0100, Gareth Slee wrote
>> (in article <1hkbrvo.1b81dtl1bz6bt0N%gax.slee(a)ntlworld.com>):
>>
>> > I've always had Apple users down as intelligent and slightly eccentric.
>> > All my experiences here confirm those suspicions :-)
>> >
>> > Got me thinking about what the preferred tipple would be for a crowd
>> > like that?
>> > I'll start the ball rolling.
>> >
>> > Mine's Gin...
>> >

>> Darjeeling tea, loose leaf, from Cornwall (no, really).
>
> Douwe Egberts coffee ;)
>
> When I do occasionally have alcohol it tends to be JD or Southern
> Comfort.
>
> <http://www.jonbradbury.com/ucsm/bar.jpg>
>
> Before Jim asks, thats a Speyside next to the cheapo Spirit of
> Loisisiana, then next shelf down, Glenfidich 12ur, Port Wood, and Solera
> with the Aberlour 10yr nestled in amongst them.
> --
> Jon B
> Above email address IS valid.
> <http://www.bramley-computers.co.uk/> Apple Laptop Repairs.

I get 'Gala Nr1' coffee sent over from Deutschland.
Beautiful stuff, worth every Euro!
Rob E.

From: Jon B on
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 21:22:10 +0100, jim(a)magrathea.plus.com (Jim)
> wrote:
> >Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:
> >
> >Atually it's just occured to me that I didn't complement you on your
> >shelving.
> >
> >I complement you on your shelving. Very elegant.
>
> I was thinking the same - they look just like they're behind a bar in
> a real-ale pub.

Compliments of the previous owners of the house, who converted under the
stairs to a bar, genius idea, and of course, you have to keep it
stocked. Also managed to pick up a proper hand pump as well, although
that has never been connected while in the house.
From: Jim on
Simon Dobbs <simondobbs(a)froglet.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 20:03:00 +0100, Jim wrote
> (in article <1hkc29g.14n61t1xgav8lN%jim(a)magrathea.plus.com>):
>
> > I remember it as being _very_ phenolic, even more so
> > than Laphroaig.
>
> Jim-
> I am, compared with you, a novice when it comes to single malts, but I love
> them all the same. I have two questions- how do you maintain your stocks- I
> tend to drink mine so the steady state amount is less than one bottle!

There's no fixed plan of action on that front. What we tend to do is buy
when we see something unusual or when we see something that's far
cheaper than it should be. Asda, for example, once sold their last few
Taliskers for 14. Other than that it's just a case of 'replace when
empty' where possible. Whenever we're in a supermarket we always check
out their whiskies because you never know what you'll find. We called
into the Tesco near to Nige on Friday because it's the only supermarket
in the area that I know sells 'Serendipity' (a vatting of old Ardbeg and
Glen Moray, a truly divine dram). They also had a bottle of Talisker
18yo - it's on our shelf now. Spent rather more than we'd intended...

The main way to keep a collection is simply not to drink whisky to get
drunk - it's a horribly expensive way of achieving it and it prevents
proper appreciation of the whisky. If you want to get drunk, drink beer
- it's what it's for[0].

> Two,
> as a biochemist/ chemist, I am interested in your reference to phenolics. How
> would you describe that taste/ smell? Phenol itself, the simplest phenolic
> has a carbolic acid, medical type smell to me. I can envisage that this is
> what you mean, or are there more complex phenols with different smells
> present. I certainly don't doubt your analysis, knowing the sophistication of
> the nose/palette as an analytical tool.

'Phenols' in the whisky context tends to mean 'smells like iodine'. In
fact it's sometimes refered to as 'Isladine' :-)

In the case of Lagavulin it really does smell very strongly of iodine. I
suspect that comes (in part) from some seaweed influence, not just the
peat used in the malting process. Many people simply can't get over the
medicinal smells, and I'd have to admit that Lagavulin is somewhat of an
acquired taste.

Jim
[0] that may have come over as somewhat snobby - not intended.
--
Find me at http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk
AIM/iChatAV: JCAndrew2