From: Bob Wardrope on
Jim wrote:
> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

<snip>

>>What's the Cask 11yo in w2? Can't make out the name.
>

> It's a Rosebank.

My father worked in their Camelon distillery. There's a bottle of the
12yr old lying around here somewhere[1].

Bob W

[1] Don't like spirits.
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:26:06 +0100, jim(a)magrathea.plus.com (Jim)
wrote:

>Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> ><http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk/w2.jpg>
>> ><http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk/w3.jpg>
>> ><http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk/w4.jpg>
>> ><http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk/w5.jpg>
>>
>> Looks like you lean to the peaty side slightly, eh?
>
>A wee bit, yes. Extreme whisky.

Tried the Bruichladdich 3D, either edition? Bloody lovely.

I can't drink 10yo Laphroaig since an office Christmas party about
three years back: open tab, and between the three of us left after
10pm we got through nearly three bottles. I was not happy at work next
day, burping clouds of smoke; the other two didn't make it in at
all...

Their quarter-cask is splendid, though.

>> I'm obviously going to need to take photos.. I've whittled my cellar
>> is down to 19 bockles, but I've got two waiting for delivery from
>> friends who I've done computer favours for.
>>
>> What's the Cask 11yo in w2? Can't make out the name.
>
>It's a Rosebank.

Ta. I was given a 1976 Dallas Dhu in the same series (which was
astoundingly gentle, soft and sweet, and way outside my price range!),
but I'd not realised it _was_ a series. Any good? I've never met
Rosebank.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"I went to a planet where the dominant lifeform had no bilateral symmetry,
and all I got was this stupid F-Shirt."
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 18:07:48 +0100, black.hole(a)jonbradbury.com (Jon B)
wrote:
>Hugh Browton <useneth@**.not.uk> wrote:
>
>> Darjeeling tea, loose leaf, from Cornwall (no, really).
>
>Douwe Egberts coffee ;)

Lavazza crema e gusto coffee. Plus, their decaff ground is the only
decaff that I can't tell is. Tastes quite like the normal DE,
actually.

>When I do occasionally have alcohol it tends to be JD or Southern
>Comfort.
>
><http://www.jonbradbury.com/ucsm/bar.jpg>
>
>Before Jim asks, thats a Speyside next to the cheapo Spirit of
>Loisisiana, then next shelf down, Glenfidich 12ur, Port Wood, and Solera
>with the Aberlour 10yr nestled in amongst them.

Get thaself an Aberlour a'bunadh - all the positive side of their
10yo, mixed with nectar. I have to buy a new bottle every time I
finish one.

Cheers - J
--
"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy;
if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
From: SteveH on
Gareth Slee <gax.slee(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I've always had Apple users down as intelligent and slightly eccentric.
> All my experiences here confirm those suspicions :-)
>
> Got me thinking about what the preferred tipple would be for a crowd
> like that?
> I'll start the ball rolling.
>
> Mine's Gin...

Robinson's Old Tom.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI - COSOC KOTL
From: Jim on
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> Tried the Bruichladdich 3D, either edition? Bloody lovely.

[thinks] Don't think so, no. I've tried the Laddie 10 some years ago,
the 17yo, and Rocks. They have one that's finished (although don't use
that word to Jim McEwan) in sauternes casks and that's bloody wonderful
stuff.

> I can't drink 10yo Laphroaig since an office Christmas party about
> three years back: open tab, and between the three of us left after
> 10pm we got through nearly three bottles. I was not happy at work next
> day, burping clouds of smoke; the other two didn't make it in at
> all...
>
> Their quarter-cask is splendid, though.

Agreed. I also found that the standard 10yo tastes _wonderful_ when
drunk from a hip flask. Not sure why that should be but it was a good
night.

Only ever had one bottle of the 15 but it's perhaps the finest Laphroaig
I've ever tasted. I'll be in Scotland in [checks] 41 days, 20 hours, 57
minutes time, give or take a wee bit depending on how long it takes the
Burger King at Carlisle to serve us. I intend to bring at least two 15s
back with us.

> >> I'm obviously going to need to take photos.. I've whittled my cellar
> >> is down to 19 bockles, but I've got two waiting for delivery from
> >> friends who I've done computer favours for.
> >>
> >> What's the Cask 11yo in w2? Can't make out the name.
> >
> >It's a Rosebank.
>
> Ta. I was given a 1976 Dallas Dhu in the same series (which was
> astoundingly gentle, soft and sweet, and way outside my price range!),
> but I'd not realised it _was_ a series. Any good? I've never met
> Rosebank.

To be honest I can't remember. It was bought very recently, but as we
were t'up north with my parents we decided to open it and pass it around
for general sampling. In fact that's where most of my current Gran
Reserva went, which is a good thing - it's too expensive to drink by
yourself. It's a sharing dram.

We sampled quite a few drams that night (my father has re-discovered his
love of Scotch thanks, in part, to myself and SWMBO) and it all sort of
blurred. I _do_ remember that he had a Glenlivet American Oak that was
fabulously cool in the mouth and had a distinct vanilla overtone. Lovely
stuff.

Jim
--
Find me at : http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk