From: Jim on
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

<snip>

Atually it's just occured to me that I didn't complement you on your
shelving.

I complement you on your shelving. Very elegant. Mine, alas, come from
Ikea, but serve their purpose.

Jim
--
Find me at : http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk
AIM/iChatAV: JCAndrew2
From: Tim Auton on
Gareth Slee <gax.slee(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I've always had Apple users down as intelligent and slightly eccentric.
> All my experiences here confirm those suspicions :-)
>
> Got me thinking about what the preferred tipple would be for a crowd
> like that?
> I'll start the ball rolling.
>
> Mine's Gin...

Cold, overpriced, tasteless lager.

Tim
From: Peter Ceresole on
Gareth Slee <gax.slee(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Mine's Gin...

Vichy St Yorre.
--
Peter
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 21:14:38 +0100, jim(a)magrathea.plus.com (Jim)
wrote:

>Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> Tried the Bruichladdich 3D, either edition? Bloody lovely.
>
>[thinks] Don't think so, no. I've tried the Laddie 10 some years ago,
>the 17yo, and Rocks. They have one that's finished (although don't use
>that word to Jim McEwan) in sauternes casks and that's bloody wonderful
>stuff.

I've not covered much of the Laddie spectrum - I usually have a plain
10yo on the shelf, the 15yo wasn't enough better for the money; The
Full Strength is very indeed nice, though. The 3D (Peat Proposal and
Moine Mhor) is an astonishingly easy to drink peaty-as-you-like
(created to be more so than anyone else at 60ppm phenols or some
such), the second 3D is slightly stronger, and the "what's coming up"
bit of their website chats about an 80ppm that's in the works. Yowp.

There's a stack of stuff on their site that interests me, so I'll have
to go visit them sometime soon. Those red-wine caskings look _so_ fun.

[Laphroaig]
>> Their quarter-cask is splendid, though.
>
>Agreed. I also found that the standard 10yo tastes _wonderful_ when
>drunk from a hip flask. Not sure why that should be but it was a good
>night.

Hmm, that's something I've been planning to do for a while, for going
skiing. If I get a metal flask it'll take some experimenting to see
what I'll put in it...

>Only ever had one bottle of the 15 but it's perhaps the finest Laphroaig
>I've ever tasted.

Had a taster at the local Oddbins - lemons and limes! Astonishing, but
at fifty quid it's a good fifteen quid outside my limit.

>were t'up north with my parents we decided to open it and pass it around
>for general sampling. In fact that's where most of my current Gran
>Reserva went, which is a good thing - it's too expensive to drink by
>yourself. It's a sharing dram.

Almost all of mine tend to be shared rather than sampled by myself
(SWMBO doesn't partake of whisky); social nights in are few enough
that I end up with a cellar full. Careless, really. So I'm making a
concerted effort to drink up, on those days when SWMBO whacks out at
9pm!

>blurred. I _do_ remember that he had a Glenlivet American Oak that was
>fabulously cool in the mouth and had a distinct vanilla overtone. Lovely
>stuff.

Sounds just like my style, I shall have to watch out for it.

We're off on hols with my brother-in-law's family soonish, and I'll be
taking a dozen or so bottles down for sampling. There'll be six other
folks drinking, with enough taste and decorum to enjoy sharing it all
with them. At least two of them will be bringing a few of their own,
so it should work out rather well.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Never sleep with anyone crazier than you are.
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 21:22:10 +0100, jim(a)magrathea.plus.com (Jim)
wrote:
>Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:
>
>Atually it's just occured to me that I didn't complement you on your
>shelving.
>
>I complement you on your shelving. Very elegant.

I was thinking the same - they look just like they're behind a bar in
a real-ale pub.

> Mine, alas, come from Ikea, but serve their purpose.

Mine's a whitewashed 2" thick stone slab built into (and sticking out
of) the cellar wall. Not very scenic, but very functional.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Never sleep with anyone crazier than you are.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last