From: {$DB$} on

Simon Dobbs wrote:
> > Di-hydrogen Oxide.
> the IUPAC-preferred systematic name for water is oxidane.

OK OK, so I've failed Chemistry 101 - I'll use that refering to another
thread in ucsm. ;-)

That said, most of you knew what I meant anyway. :-P

-DB
--
20MB space, 800MB/month data transfer, POP3 mailbox and domain name for
a tenner a year at www.10quid.co.uk.

From: Simon Dobbs on
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 18:18:12 +0100, {$DB$}@stop.me.uk wrote
(in article <1156007892.792032.249440(a)75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>):

> Simon Dobbs wrote:
>>> Di-hydrogen Oxide.
>> the IUPAC-preferred systematic name for water is oxidane.
>
> OK OK, so I've failed Chemistry 101 - I'll use that refering to another
> thread in ucsm. ;-)
>
> That said, most of you knew what I meant anyway. :-P
>
> -DB
> --
> 20MB space, 800MB/month data transfer, POP3 mailbox and domain name for
> a tenner a year at www.10quid.co.uk.
> Special offers running for a week only from 17 August:
> www.10quid.co.uk - All annual accounts for only 6.50
> www.cybes.net - All accounts at 50% discount

most people would have understood your nomenclature much more readily than
IUPAC's, which was kind of my point!

From: Ian Robinson on
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 18:01:20 +0100, Ian McCall wrote
(in article <4kouf0Fcn2eiU3(a)individual.net>):

> I've been
> a Tiger fan ever since when dining out.

I was working in Sheffield in 1999 and was out for food with a few
colleagues. That particular night I wasn't going to drink. After about
an hour I got a call from an engineer who was doing an overnight
install in Scotland. It wasn't going well. After being on the mobile
for a while I asked the waiter for a beer. He brought me a Tiger. I've
been hooked ever since. Luckily they sell it in Tesco and Sainsbury's,
so the fridge is usually stocked.

Ian

--
Ian Robinson, Belfast, UK
<http://www.canicula.com/wp/>

From: Jim on
Simon Dobbs <simondobbs(a)froglet.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:24:03 +0100, Jim wrote
> (in article <1hkbuzn.ekiv0015gx1bpN%jim(a)magrathea.plus.com>):

> >> Di-hydrogen Oxide.
> >
> > ITYM dihydrogen monoxide.
> >
> > Jim
> >

> from "IUPAC Preferred Names
> Chapter 2, Sect 20-24
> September, 2004
>

> ''
> The names of mononuclear hydrides of the elements for use as parents in
> naming organic
> compounds by substitutive nomenclature are given in Table 2.1. Most are
> formed systematically by
> combining the 'a' term of the element (with elision of the terminal letter
> 'a' before the ending 'ane',
> patterned after methane, for example, borane for BH3, silane for SiH4, etc.).
> There are important
> exceptions: methane, which is the retained name for CH4, oxidane for H2O,
> sulfane for H2S, selane
> for H2Se, tellane for H2Te, polonane for H2Po, and bismuthane for BiH3

Well, I'm glad that's been cleared up..:-)

Jim
--
Find me at : http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk
AIM/iChatAV: JCAndrew2
From: Odie Ferrous on
Jim wrote:

> Gareth Slee <gax.slee(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> > I've always had Apple users down as intelligent and slightly eccentric.
> > All my experiences here confirm those suspicions :-)
> >
> > Got me thinking about what the preferred tipple would be for a crowd
> > like that?
> > I'll start the ball rolling.
> >
> > Mine's Gin...
>
> Whisky.
>
> <http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk/w2.jpg>
> <http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk/w3.jpg>
> <http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk/w4.jpg>
> <http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk/w5.jpg>
>
> Jim
> --
> Find me at : http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk
> AIM/iChatAV: JCAndrew2
> Skype : greyarea

Glad to see the bottle of Dalwhinnie there - best Whisky on the planet.

You must have impeccable taste.

Odie
--
Retrodata