From: Simon Dobbs on
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 16:24:34 +0100, Gareth Slee wrote
(in article <1hkbrvo.1b81dtl1bz6bt0N%gax.slee(a)ntlworld.com>):

> I've always had Apple users down as intelligent and slightly eccentric.
> All my experiences here confirm those suspicions :-)
>
> Got me thinking about what the preferred tipple would be for a crowd
> like that?
> I'll start the ball rolling.
>
> Mine's Gin...

do you mean everyday bread and butter poison? Then to me it's new world
shiraz or a cheap claret. If I fancy a little bit stronger, it has to be sine
metu.
For self indulgence, any single malt, preferably peaty.
Cocktails go down well too, as does Champagne.
We do have a gin fridge chez nous, and a separate one for cold bear, white
wine and champers (my wife prefers the latter two, and gin). Makes us sound
like dipsos, but we like to cater well for guests, who tend to be family.
As or lager type beers- I like the one with two elephants on the front,
forget its name.

From: Woody on
Gareth Slee <gax.slee(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I've always had Apple users down as intelligent and slightly eccentric.
> All my experiences here confirm those suspicions :-)
>
> Got me thinking about what the preferred tipple would be for a crowd
> like that?
> I'll start the ball rolling.
>
> Mine's Gin...

Tea. The fair trade stuff from tescos does.

--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
From: Simon Dobbs on
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 20:03:00 +0100, Jim wrote
(in article <1hkc29g.14n61t1xgav8lN%jim(a)magrathea.plus.com>):

> I remember it as being _very_ phenolic, even more so
> than Laphroaig.

Jim-
I am, compared with you, a novice when it comes to single malts, but I love
them all the same. I have two questions- how do you maintain your stocks- I
tend to drink mine so the steady state amount is less than one bottle! Two,
as a biochemist/ chemist, I am interested in your reference to phenolics. How
would you describe that taste/ smell? Phenol itself, the simplest phenolic
has a carbolic acid, medical type smell to me. I can envisage that this is
what you mean, or are there more complex phenols with different smells
present. I certainly don't doubt your analysis, knowing the sophistication of
the nose/palette as an analytical tool.

From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 22:36:50 +0100, Simon Dobbs
<simondobbs(a)froglet.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 20:03:00 +0100, Jim wrote
>(in article <1hkc29g.14n61t1xgav8lN%jim(a)magrathea.plus.com>):
>
>> I remember it as being _very_ phenolic, even more so
>> than Laphroaig.
>
>Jim-
>I am, compared with you, a novice when it comes to single malts, but I love
>them all the same. I have two questions- how do you maintain your stocks- I
>tend to drink mine so the steady state amount is less than one bottle!

1) Drink only with company (this is the big one!)
2) Get people to pay you in whisky for computer work done
3) Once you have a visible collection people start buying them for you
for birthdays etc

> Two,
>as a biochemist/ chemist, I am interested in your reference to phenolics.

Don't read too much into it - the use of "phenols" as a descriptive
term for whisky isn't particularly chemically accurate. Basically used
as a shorthand for "peat and/or smoke flavour compounds". Many of them
are phenolic, but hopefully none of them are actually phenol!

Speaking as a BSc(Chem) myself, that is.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Never sleep with anyone crazier than you are.
From: ck on
Elliott Roper <nospam(a)yrl.co.uk> wrote:

> Either way, it is a vital ingredient in the manufacture of terrorist
> weaponry, and should be banned from hand luggage.

I've heard that they make people found in possesion of the stuff to take
a sip.

Is there no depth they won't stoop to? ;)

ck
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Prev: pipUnixDomain
Next: Xserve: fans speeds?