From: Pete Stavrakoglou on
It's no secret that they are not good high-ISO cameras. That's where the
development has to be improved. The sensor development is still in its
infancy, there's a long way to go.

"Rich" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Feb 24, 9:57 am, "Mr. Strat" <r...(a)nospam.techline.com> wrote:
> In article <MPG.25eee8cf5471cc2598c...(a)news.supernews.com>, Alfred
>
> Molon <alfred_mo...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Current 4/3 cameras have 12MP and the 4.6MP of the Foveon should be on
> > the same level of a 7MP Bayer sensor camera, but not more than that. If
> > Foveon brought out a 10MP model they would be competitive.
>
> The bottom line is that Foveon is just crappy technology...unless
> you're fond of Homer Simpson skin tones.

That, and the colour seems to fade the higher up in ISO you go.

From: Bruce on
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 16:32:34 -0500, "Pete Stavrakoglou"
<ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote:

>It's no secret that they are not good high-ISO cameras. That's where the
>development has to be improved. The sensor development is still in its
>infancy, there's a long way to go.

On the other hand, they may have reached a physical limit and it isn't
worth developing them any further.

And guess what? Foveon hasn't shown any sign of further development
of these sensors for a couple of years now. I got the impression that
Foveon's original owners gave up and sold the company to Sigma.

From: nospam on
In article <hm45tj$pjh$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Pete Stavrakoglou
<ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote:

> It's no secret that they are not good high-ISO cameras. That's where the
> development has to be improved. The sensor development is still in its
> infancy, there's a long way to go.

except that bayer isn't standing still. sigma is far behind and falling
further behind with each passing day.
From: nospam on
In article <j57bo5pfdlfonnqqee9pd82dls0u6o3oj8(a)4ax.com>, Bruce
<docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> And guess what? Foveon hasn't shown any sign of further development
> of these sensors for a couple of years now.

sigma claims they're working on a sensor for a future high end camera.

> I got the impression that
> Foveon's original owners gave up and sold the company to Sigma.

what actually happened is that foveon wasn't profitable after nearly a
decade and the venture capitalists bailed.

with foveon facing bankruptcy, sigma *had* to buy them, or sigma would
have been stuck with cameras and no sensors. it was the cheaper of the
two options.
From: nospam on
In article <hm385d$38h$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Pete Stavrakoglou
<ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote:

> I diasgree. The older 3.4 MP Foveon was on par with 6 MP, some say 8 MP
> cameras. The current sensor is on the same level as a 10 - 12 MP sensors.

bullshit. most reviews claimed that the current 4.6 mp sensor is
comparable to 'roughly 8 megapixels'. dpreview said it's not even close
to 10 mp.