From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 19:13:00 -0500, nospam wrote:

> In article <d834c$4b85ba9a$546accd9$16020(a)cache80.multikabel.net>,
> Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap(a)arumes.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry, I didn't know the Sony A330 was a compact with a much
>> smaller sensor.
>
> and according to the review you cited, the dp2 didn't resolve as well as
> the a330.
>
> it only managed 1400-1500 lph *with* moire (aka aliasing, so it's
> actually resolving less than that) versus 1900 lph for the a330 with no
> moire. the 12 megapixel olympus (slightly smaller sensor than the dp2)
> was able to resolve 2200 lph, almost *double* that of the dp2.
>
> in short, the dp2 does *not* compare with 12 megapixel sensors.
>
> <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmadp2/page21.asp>

"Part of this is down to the use of a mono test chart, which is fairly
easily rendered by Bayer sensors - the Sigma's Foveon chip should be able
to render transitions between colors more accurately"

It's hard to twist your way out of a lie when the review is available to
everybody.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
From: nospam on
In article <b603c$4b86a739$546accd9$32044(a)cache80.multikabel.net>,
Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap(a)arumes.com> wrote:

> "Part of this is down to the use of a mono test chart, which is fairly
> easily rendered by Bayer sensors - the Sigma's Foveon chip should be able
> to render transitions between colors more accurately"

mono resolution charts are what matter to human vision and resolution
measurements, not colour charts.

sigma pushes the colour res chart nonsense since that's the only area
in which foveon is better, but the human eye can't resolve colour
detail very well so it actually doesn't matter. you can't see the
difference in a photo. there is also very little in the real world with
saturated colour transitions. it's a contrived test.

> It's hard to twist your way out of a lie when the review is available to
> everybody.

i'm not lying. you, on the other hand, are pulling single lines out of
context without understanding what it is you're reading.
From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 12:00:07 -0500, nospam wrote:

> In article <b603c$4b86a739$546accd9$32044(a)cache80.multikabel.net>,
> Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap(a)arumes.com> wrote:
>
>> "Part of this is down to the use of a mono test chart, which is fairly
>> easily rendered by Bayer sensors - the Sigma's Foveon chip should be
>> able to render transitions between colors more accurately"
>
> mono resolution charts are what matter to human vision and resolution
> measurements, not colour charts.
>
> sigma pushes the colour res chart nonsense since that's the only area in
> which foveon is better, but the human eye can't resolve colour detail
> very well so it actually doesn't matter. you can't see the difference in
> a photo.
>
> there is also very little in the real world with saturated
> colour transitions. it's a contrived test.
>
>> It's hard to twist your way out of a lie when the review is available
>> to everybody.
>
> i'm not lying. you, on the other hand, are pulling single lines out of
> context without understanding what it is you're reading.

Sure. Go ahead and twist some more. It won't work.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
From: Alfred Molon on
In article <250220101200075882%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>,
nospam(a)nospam.invalid says...
> mono resolution charts are what matter to human vision and resolution
> measurements, not colour charts.

Obviously in a black and white world a full-colour sensor has no
advantages over a bayers sensor. But the world is not black and white,
therefore resolution tests using only monochrome test targets are
meaningless.

Hint: adjacent pixels could have similar luminance levels but different
colours. Bayer fails here while a full-colour sensor correctly captures
the signal.
--

Alfred Molon
"Alfred Molon" <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In article <250220101200075882%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>,
> nospam(a)nospam.invalid says...
>> mono resolution charts are what matter to human vision and resolution
>> measurements, not colour charts.
>
> Obviously in a black and white world a full-colour sensor has no
> advantages over a bayers sensor. But the world is not black and white,
> therefore resolution tests using only monochrome test targets are
> meaningless.
>
> Hint: adjacent pixels could have similar luminance levels but different
> colours. Bayer fails here while a full-colour sensor correctly captures
> the signal.
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

To continue on about the comparitive resoluton of the Foveon sensor in the
DP1, DP2, and SD14: I've mentioned that the resolution compares to a 10 -
12 MP Bayer sensor. Here's what the dpreview camera review said about the
DP2 compared the the Olympus E-P1:

"The Sigma's results are rather over-sharpened by our standard workflow
because it includes a sharpening step to compensate for the
low-pass/anti-aliasing filter (which the Sigma doesn't have). Even so, the
level of detail being rendered is clearly very high and not dissimilar to
that of a well-processed image from a camera with a 12mp conventional sensor
such as the E-P1. Per-pixel sharpness on the DP2 is way ahead of the E-P1
and even in a large print it seems ulikely that the extra pixels on the
Olympus sensor would give you any advantage".

Here's what the review said about the DP2 compared to the Sony A330:

"Even in RAW the inexpensive Sony isn't producing a result that is
comparable with the E-P1, which means it would also struggle to keep pace
with the DP2, if downsized to the same output size. The difference isn't
huge by any means but the Sony simply isn't rendering the horizontal stripes
on the medal in crop three (which no amount of downsizing will compensate
for."

So the assertion made earlier in this thread that the DP2 had better
resolution only when compared to small-sensor cameras is not correct.