From: Alfred Molon on
In article <4b88010c$0$1595$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>,
scharf.steven(a)geemail.com says...
> A 4.6MP Foveon sensor is no better than a 4.6MP Bayer sensor.

You really believe that? Reviews show that this is not true.
--

Alfred Molon
In article <MPG.25f2488dba2c8d4b98c237(a)news.supernews.com>, Alfred
Molon <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> > A 4.6MP Foveon sensor is no better than a 4.6MP Bayer sensor.
>
> You really believe that? Reviews show that this is not true.

actually, what they show is the result of not having an anti-alias
filter, additional sharpening added in the raw processing (much more
than with bayer cameras) and a contrast boost. it has very little to do
with the sensor.

pick two bayer cameras and give the photos from one a sharpening and
contrast boost and you can fool people just as easily.
From: Alfred Molon on
In article <hm8oo9$ekt$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, david-
taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid says...
> That would be an interesting test - making the same size print from a
> 4.6MP Foveon and a 12MP (or whatever) Bayer DSLR.

You'd obviously have to compare a 4.6MP full colour with a 4.6MP Bayer
camera. Not sure why you are pulling out a 12MP Bayer camera.
--

Alfred Molon
In article <260220101517473525%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>,
nospam(a)nospam.invalid says...

> actually, what they show is the result of not having an anti-alias
> filter, additional sharpening added in the raw processing (much more
> than with bayer cameras) and a contrast boost. it has very little to do
> with the sensor.
>
> pick two bayer cameras and give the photos from one a sharpening and
> contrast boost and you can fool people just as easily.

Go ahead, take away the AA filter in a Bayer camera, apply all the
sharpening you want and you'll still have a huge gap compared to a full
colour camera.

Reviews show that a full-colour camera has as much resolution as a Bayer
camera with approx. 50% more pixels.

Besides, also a full-colour camera needs an AA filter, to have a sharp
cutoff at the Nyquist frequency.
--

Alfred Molon
"Alfred Molon" <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In article <hm8oo9$ekt$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, david-
> taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid says...
>> That would be an interesting test - making the same size print from a
>> 4.6MP Foveon and a 12MP (or whatever) Bayer DSLR.
>
> You'd obviously have to compare a 4.6MP full colour with a 4.6MP Bayer
> camera. Not sure why you are pulling out a 12MP Bayer camera.
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

No, I'm suggesting comparing prints from today's cameras - not a Sigma
from 2010 versus a Nikon from 2004!

David