From: Woody on
Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:

> Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > I think these are very personal things, more so than the computer
> > itself. My mice tend to outlive the use of the computer.
>
> My use of mice doesn't - the old mice get packed up with the old
> computer. Well, I had to when I replaced the ADB 475 with the USB G4
> tower, for example. And if you've got a Mighty Mouse in the box, why
> not try it out?

I did. In fact, it is still just there ^ by the computer in case the
batteries run out of this logitech. Except they don't, as the charger is
just there.

I quite liked the ball thing, just the lack of right mouse button.

> > To my mind, apple have never made a good mouse, and they are getting
> > worse.
>
> The original Mac mouse was the same as the original Lisa mouse (more or
> less).
>
> Both were streets ahead of all other computer mice of the time - they
> were startlingly good in comparision. No other computer mouse *in the
> world* could be compared favourable to the original Mac/Lisa mouse when
> they were new.

Maybe, but I didn't have to use a mouse by then, and when I did I still
think I prefered the non apple mouse.

By the time I used one of those mice it was nothing of any use to me

I liked the mouse ball on my first proper mac, the powerbook 160. The
LCII - III - 475 one was ok, but by then there were better things around

> I noticed quite a while ago that Apple mice tended to track better than
> `other' mice - less jittery.

Never noticed that at the time, certainly not true now.

> For those who like battery powered mice, I do recall reading somewhere
> that studies had shown (which ones? Iforget) the most important aspect
> of mouse ergonomics is the mass of the mouse. Ditch the batteries, get
> a better mouse...

The battery mice I have now are the best mice I have ever had, on any
machine.

--
Woody
Alienrat Design Ltd
From: Rowland McDonnell on
Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:

> Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > I think these are very personal things, more so than the computer
> > > itself. My mice tend to outlive the use of the computer.
> >
> > My use of mice doesn't - the old mice get packed up with the old
> > computer. Well, I had to when I replaced the ADB 475 with the USB G4
> > tower, for example. And if you've got a Mighty Mouse in the box, why
> > not try it out?
>
> I did. In fact, it is still just there ^ by the computer in case the
> batteries run out of this logitech. Except they don't, as the charger is
> just there.
>
> I quite liked the ball thing, just the lack of right mouse button.

I prefer just one button myself - at least, for `normal running'. The
Mighty Mouse's `squeeze-for-app-switcher' and `centre click for Expose'
(as set up here) are quite handy, actually.

But I don't like having to right click to bring up a context menu - I
much prefer click-and-hold.

> > > To my mind, apple have never made a good mouse, and they are getting
> > > worse.
> >
> > The original Mac mouse was the same as the original Lisa mouse (more or
> > less).
> >
> > Both were streets ahead of all other computer mice of the time - they
> > were startlingly good in comparision. No other computer mouse *in the
> > world* could be compared favourable to the original Mac/Lisa mouse when
> > they were new.
>
> Maybe, but I didn't have to use a mouse by then, and when I did I still
> think I prefered the non apple mouse.
>
> By the time I used one of those mice it was nothing of any use to me
>
> I liked the mouse ball on my first proper mac, the powerbook 160. The
> LCII - III - 475 one was ok, but by then there were better things around

One of the things about the ADB 2 mouse you're talking about is that at
the time, I preferred it to all the other mice - of the time, that I
met.

> > I noticed quite a while ago that Apple mice tended to track better than
> > `other' mice - less jittery.
>
> Never noticed that at the time, certainly not true now.

Certainly is true with some mice that I've met - then again, one of the
older Apple USB mice I have somewhere compared unfavourably in that line
with the Microsoft mouse that I think my mother in law had.

<shrug>

Maybe I'm just fussier?

> > For those who like battery powered mice, I do recall reading somewhere
> > that studies had shown (which ones? Iforget) the most important aspect
> > of mouse ergonomics is the mass of the mouse. Ditch the batteries, get
> > a better mouse...
>
> The battery mice I have now are the best mice I have ever had, on any
> machine.

If you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

What tends to apply to most people in general does not apply to everyone
always...

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: Woody on
Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:

> Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > > Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:
> > >
> > > [snip]

> > > My use of mice doesn't - the old mice get packed up with the old
> > > computer. Well, I had to when I replaced the ADB 475 with the USB G4
> > > tower, for example. And if you've got a Mighty Mouse in the box, why
> > > not try it out?
> >
> > I did. In fact, it is still just there ^ by the computer in case the
> > batteries run out of this logitech. Except they don't, as the charger is
> > just there.
> >
> > I quite liked the ball thing, just the lack of right mouse button.
>
> I prefer just one button myself - at least, for `normal running'. The
> Mighty Mouse's `squeeze-for-app-switcher' and `centre click for Expose'
> (as set up here) are quite handy, actually.

I could never get used to it - it seemed to happen accidently a lot, or
at least enough times to irritate.

I have used two buttons enough so that it feels very unnatural to only
have one, or to require an additional step. In a way I prefer the mac
way, that you don't need the second button but it is available, as there
are many places on windows where you do need the second button, which is
a real pain when you are using pen based windows

> But I don't like having to right click to bring up a context menu - I
> much prefer click-and-hold.

> > > The original Mac mouse was the same as the original Lisa mouse (more or
> > > less).
> > >
> > > Both were streets ahead of all other computer mice of the time - they
> > > were startlingly good in comparision. No other computer mouse *in the
> > > world* could be compared favourable to the original Mac/Lisa mouse when
> > > they were new.
> >
> > Maybe, but I didn't have to use a mouse by then, and when I did I still
> > think I prefered the non apple mouse.
> >
> > By the time I used one of those mice it was nothing of any use to me
> >
> > I liked the mouse ball on my first proper mac, the powerbook 160. The
> > LCII - III - 475 one was ok, but by then there were better things around
>
> One of the things about the ADB 2 mouse you're talking about is that at
> the time, I preferred it to all the other mice - of the time, that I
> met.

this one:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Mouse#Apple_Desktop_Bus_Mouse_II_.28
M2706.29>

I must admit out of all apple mice i have used, that was probably the
highlight but not long after that the microsoft mice came out with two
buttons and scroll wheels.

> > > I noticed quite a while ago that Apple mice tended to track better than
> > > `other' mice - less jittery.
> >
> > Never noticed that at the time, certainly not true now.
>
> Certainly is true with some mice that I've met - then again, one of the
> older Apple USB mice I have somewhere compared unfavourably in that line
> with the Microsoft mouse that I think my mother in law had.
>
> <shrug>
>
> Maybe I'm just fussier?
>
> > > For those who like battery powered mice, I do recall reading somewhere
> > > that studies had shown (which ones? Iforget) the most important aspect
> > > of mouse ergonomics is the mass of the mouse. Ditch the batteries, get
> > > a better mouse...
> >
> > The battery mice I have now are the best mice I have ever had, on any
> > machine.
>
> If you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

I am, I like the wieght. Actually, I like the size as well, it is one of
my other gripes about the apple mice, they are not necessarily too small
but they are too low.

--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
From: John Hill on
Jack Campin - bogus address <bogus(a)purr.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >> To my mind, apple have never made a good mouse, and they are getting
> >> worse.
> > I'm not sure that they have never made a good one. The earlier oval
> > single button one was pretty good, but I do like a right click too...
>
> The only one I've really liked was the one on the Mac Plus. Big,
> cuboidal, and heavy. Everything since has cramped my hands from
> the extra muscle tension needed to get it into the right place.

I liked that one too. But I had one that was so much used its feet wore
away (and yes, I was using a mouse mat). So I fitted a couple of wee
domed screws, sanded them flat and polished them and it lasted until my
next Mac. This was in the late 80's.

Thse were the days! I actually understood what was what in the System
Folder then. Since OSX I've never dared peek under the bonnet :-(

John.

--
Please reply to john at yclept dot wanadoo dot co dot uk.
From: Phil Taylor on
In article <1jlybg0.xmywd2101467bN%usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk>, Woody
<usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:

> Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:
>

> > > The battery mice I have now are the best mice I have ever had, on any
> > > machine.
> >
> > If you're happy with it, that's all that matters.
>
> I am, I like the wieght. Actually, I like the size as well, it is one of
> my other gripes about the apple mice, they are not necessarily too small
> but they are too low.

It's odd, but despite having large hands[1] I prefer the ADB 1 mouse,
the smallest of all Apple's mice. Just goes to show how personal a
preference this is.

[1] On this Matias keyboard I can easily type Option-P, or even
Option-[ with my right hand using the left option key.

Phil Taylor
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: iBooks (the app) updated to 1.1.1