From: Phil Taylor on
In article <op.vf8jdhefjrtqts(a)chiyonofuji.new.ox.ac.uk>, James Dore
<james.dore(a)new.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> >> That's why I said `ADB 1' - being the Mk 2 Mac mouse; or the original -
> >> being the `not ADB' version.
> >
> > Gotcha.
> >
> >> btw, it's a type D subminature connector, not a D connector. Commonly
> >> called a D-sub. D connectors are - wait for it - bigger.
> >
> > Right-o. Centronics 25 pin jobbies? (the computer end, not the printer
> > end)
>
> I think the Centronics 25-pin is one of the D-sub connector types, in that
> Centronics developed the Parallel interface, part of which was the use of
> the D-Sub 36 pin connector for the computer end of the physical
> connection, which was reduced to 25-pins by IBM in their new PC range -
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centronics#The_interface>
>
> D-sub is a broad class which also includes connectors userd for 9-pin and
> 25-pin serial, 15-pin Apple Video, and 15-pin (three row) VGA connectors,
> Sun 13W3 video, etc etc.
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_connector>

I have always thought that the Centronics plug was the 36-way Amphenol
plug, which does not have pins, instead using a triangular section
plastic piece with 18 gold-plated spring leaves on either side? I
don't think Apple ever used that plug.

Phil Taylor
From: James Dore on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:02:57 +0100, Phil Taylor <nothere(a)all.invalid>
wrote:

> In article <op.vf8jdhefjrtqts(a)chiyonofuji.new.ox.ac.uk>, James Dore
> <james.dore(a)new.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>> though, I

>> original -
>> >
>> > Gotcha.

>> Commonly
>> >
>> > Right-o. Centronics 25 pin jobbies? (the computer end, not the printer
>> > end)
>>
>> I think the Centronics 25-pin is one of the D-sub connector types, in
>> that
>> Centronics developed the Parallel interface, part of which was the use
>> of
>> the D-Sub 36 pin connector for the computer end of the physical
>> connection, which was reduced to 25-pins by IBM in their new PC range -
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centronics#The_interface>
>>
>> D-sub is a broad class which also includes connectors userd for 9-pin
>> and
>> 25-pin serial, 15-pin Apple Video, and 15-pin (three row) VGA
>> connectors,
>> Sun 13W3 video, etc etc.
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_connector>
>>

> I have always thought that the Centronics plug was the 36-way Amphenol
> plug, which does not have pins, instead using a triangular section
> plastic piece with 18 gold-plated spring leaves on either side? I
> don't think Apple ever used that plug.

On the printer end, yes, but not on the computer end. Indeed as you say,
the plug was the Amphenol 36 pin as used by Centronics, and became
popularised as the 'Centronics interface' -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_ribbon. Apple never used this 36 pin
version, but they did make use of the D-Sub types for mice and computer
ends of SCSI chains. the 50-pin Amphenol connector was used at the device
ends of SCSI chains, as SCSI-1

Cheers,
James

From: zoara on
Sara Merriman <saramerriman(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <1jlzp2p.5jasin903rkdN%peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk>,
> peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk (Peter Ceresole) wrote:
>
>> Sara <saramerriman(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> So where do you put your chin?
>>
>> Above the top of my neck. Seems to fit okay.
>
> Sounds odd to me.

It'll never catch on.

-z-

--
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
From: Rowland McDonnell on
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:
[snip]

> > btw, it's a type D subminature connector, not a D connector. Commonly
> > called a D-sub. D connectors are - wait for it - bigger.
>
> Right-o. Centronics 25 pin jobbies? (the computer end, not the printer
> end)

Dunno.

- never having had any reason to drive anything via a Centronics port,
what with there always being something faster and better available.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-sub>

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: Rowland McDonnell on
James Dore <james.dore(a)new.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_connector>

Hmm - what about the actual D connectors? Now I think of it, I'm not
sure I've ever met one. Do they even exist? Have I just been making
unreasonable assumptions?

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
http://www.mag-uk.org http://www.bmf.co.uk
UK biker? Join MAG and the BMF and stop the Eurocrats banning biking
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: iBooks (the app) updated to 1.1.1
Next: Basic icon maker