From: Woody on
Tim Streater <timstreater(a)waitrose.com> wrote:
> In article <1jly909.wtfk031jbof92N%usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk>,
> usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk (Woody) wrote:
>
>> Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid>
>>> computer. Well, I had to when I replaced the ADB 475 with the USB
> > > G4
>>> tower, for example. And if you've got a Mighty Mouse in the box,
> > > why
>>> not try it out?
>>> I did. In fact, it is still just there ^ by the computer in case the
>> batteries run out of this logitech. Except they don't, as the charger
> > is
>> just there.
>>> I quite liked the ball thing, just the lack of right mouse button.
>
> There's no lack of right button.

There certainly was on mine. It only worked if I consciously
repositioned my hand into an unnatural pose.
As a result, it was easier to use the key modifier than to try and use
the way it was obviously intended to be used.

> The way I use my MM is to rest the heel of my hand on the desk and it
> doesn't move. I disable the side buttons. That way I can grip the
> mouse on its sides with thumb and two rightmost fingers, leaving index
> free for left button and middle free for right button. As these float
> in the air and are used as required, there's no issue of "clicking
> left and getting right or vice versa".

That is not how I use a mouse, so it doesn't work for me.

> I said I don't move the heel of my hand. This is achieved by turning
> tracking up to maximum.

Same here, although maximum on the apple mice is quite a lot less than
maximum on the logitechs.

> I don't have the mouse under my palm with fingers resting on the
> mouse. Doing that is certain to give you the left-right conflict folks
> report on if you have right-mouse activated. And I don't use expose
> etc so no issue with disabling the side buttons.

Indeed, if that is how you use it it is an acceptable mouse. For me it
doesn't work so it isn't. It was a shame, I liked the pea thing when it
was working, but I need a two button moue I can use without needing a
training course!

--
Woody
From: Pd on
Peter Ceresole <peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>
> > It's a literary reference, innit.
>
> To an utterly unreadable book.

It's hard to put into words how beautiful the landscape is though.

--
Pd
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:33:34 +0100, peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk (Peter
Ceresole) wrote:

>Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> I fit well with the Magic Mouse, which is so
>> low that my fingers naturally fail to rest on the surface so I can
>> easily do alternate clicks without having trouble with multiple
>> fingers.
>
>I kept on getting random behaviour, which I am sure was due to just
>touching it with the edge of a finger. I don't like that kind of thing.

There's an up-to-3mm tall volume near the surface in which which the
mouse may register your nearby finger on, if you're capacitative (?)
enough - you can see that with the "live view" that BetterTouchTool
shows.

If it's fingers at the edges registering, BTT can also shape the
sensitive part of the surface to exclude the edges more.

(I'm not trying to ween you back onto the MM, this is just for info)

>I use fingertips on all mice, except for the very large Kensington
>trackball. Which I used for a longish time, but then I gave it away.
>Mice are so much nicer and more instinctive for me. Quicker and more
>accurate.

Are you suggesting that you used your palm on the trackball? (If so, I
can see why a mouse would be more accurate!) Or do you mean that you
used more of your fingers than just the tips?

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Some people think that noise abatement should be a higher priority
for ATC. I say safety is noise abatement. You have no idea how much
From: Rowland McDonnell on
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:
>
> > ADB 1 or original - those are my faves.
>
> The Mac Plus mouse used a nine pin 'D' connector. Good mouse though, I
> agree. Very solid.

That's why I said `ADB 1' - being the Mk 2 Mac mouse; or the original -
being the `not ADB' version.

btw, it's a type D subminature connector, not a D connector. Commonly
called a D-sub. D connectors are - wait for it - bigger.

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: Peter Ceresole on
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> Are you suggesting that you used your palm on the trackball?

Heavens no.

But fingertip manipulation of a mouse works better for me; quicker, more
definite, more accurate.
--
Peter
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last