From: terryc on
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 19:30:54 +1000, 454 wrote:

> And even that will not happen when they can not establish that he would
> have paid for it if he had not downloaded it.

Irrelevant.

From: Sylvia Else on
On 13/04/2010 9:51 PM, terryc wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 15:46:50 +1000, Sylvia Else wrote:

>>> Several reasons.
>>>
>>> 1. The downloader is basically stupid.
>>>
>>> 2. The downloader doesn't have a cracker, so isn't worth suing.
>>>

>> And it's questionable how much could be recovered anyway. The loss to a
>> copyright holder of a single breach of copyright on a typical movie is
>> probably in the region of $15 at the very most. If they start legal
>> proceedings,
>
> And they won't. What the "great brains trust" that exists here has failed
> to comprehend is the power of logging. Log everything that they can, log
> over a few years and hey bingo, 10 titles, 100 titles, 1,000 titles and
> you have a figure worth pursuing them over.

Until they've got to the point of starting litigation in court, they're
not in a position to force the ISP to reveal the identity of the
downloader. With few people being on fixed IP addresses, a log that
indicates that a particular IP address has downloaded multiple movies is
not much of a basis for starting litigation, because it could prove that
there are multiple infringers, each of whom could only be sued for $15.

Conversely, the person who's downloaded 100 movies may have done so from
100 different IP addresses, and not been picked up as a likely target
for litigation.

Sylvia.
From: Rod Speed on
terryc wrote
> 454 wrote

>> And even that will not happen when they can not establish
>> that he would have paid for it if he had not downloaded it.

> Irrelevant.

Like hell it is. If the individual downloader would not
have done that, no damage can be established, fool.

From: annily on
Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 13/04/2010 9:51 PM, terryc wrote:

>>> And it's questionable how much could be recovered anyway. The loss to a
>>> copyright holder of a single breach of copyright on a typical movie is
>>> probably in the region of $15 at the very most. If they start legal
>>> proceedings,
>>
>> And they won't. What the "great brains trust" that exists here has failed
>> to comprehend is the power of logging. Log everything that they can, log
>> over a few years and hey bingo, 10 titles, 100 titles, 1,000 titles and
>> you have a figure worth pursuing them over.
>
> Until they've got to the point of starting litigation in court, they're
> not in a position to force the ISP to reveal the identity of the
> downloader. With few people being on fixed IP addresses, a log that
> indicates that a particular IP address has downloaded multiple movies is
> not much of a basis for starting litigation, because it could prove that
> there are multiple infringers, each of whom could only be sued for $15.
>
> Conversely, the person who's downloaded 100 movies may have done so from
> 100 different IP addresses, and not been picked up as a likely target
> for litigation.
>
> Sylvia.

How do they verify what you have downloaded anyway? Surely they can't
just go by a file name, and if the content is encrypted, how do they
prove it's their copyright content?

--
Long-time resident of Adelaide, South Australia,
which may or may not influence my opinions.
From: Sylvia Else on
On 14/04/2010 12:02 PM, annily wrote:
> Sylvia Else wrote:

>>> And they won't. What the "great brains trust" that exists here has
>>> failed
>>> to comprehend is the power of logging. Log everything that they can, log
>>> over a few years and hey bingo, 10 titles, 100 titles, 1,000 titles and
>>> you have a figure worth pursuing them over.
>>
>> Until they've got to the point of starting litigation in court,
>> they're not in a position to force the ISP to reveal the identity of
>> the downloader. With few people being on fixed IP addresses, a log
>> that indicates that a particular IP address has downloaded multiple
>> movies is not much of a basis for starting litigation, because it
>> could prove that there are multiple infringers, each of whom could
>> only be sued for $15.
>>
>> Conversely, the person who's downloaded 100 movies may have done so
>> from 100 different IP addresses, and not been picked up as a likely
>> target for litigation.
>>
>> Sylvia.
>
> How do they verify what you have downloaded anyway? Surely they can't
> just go by a file name, and if the content is encrypted, how do they
> prove it's their copyright content?

Certainly the filename's no use beyond identifying IP addresses of
interest. If I remember rightly, the case against iiNet (which was
lost!) was based on receipt of parts of specific content from iiNet
customers, with said content being matched against the copyright owner's
content. The conclusion is then reached, on balance of probability, that
the iiNet customer peer will also upload the other parts of the content,
such that a substantial part is uploaded, and therefore copied.

The content can't be encrypted in that situation, or if it is, the
receiving torrent client has to be able to decrypt it.

Sylvia.