From: Craig on

"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>> Wouldn't the redirector have to pass on all traffic to and from the P2P
>> user?
>
> Thats one way of doing it.
>
>> If so, are you going to get good speeds from a free redirector?
>
> Yep.
>
>> Why would they give you so much bandwidth for free?
>
> Because they get it at no marginal cost themselves.

That doesn't really answer the question. Why would they give it away for
free?

From: Rod Speed on
Craig wrote:
> "Loreen" <silverrings99(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote in
> message news:hpn84g$vnt$1(a)tioat.net...

>>> The likelihood of them suing isn't relevant, the only thing that's
>>> relevant is the likelihood of a copyright holder suing successfully.
>>
>> There isn't much doubt that a copyright holder could find an
>> individual who has breached copyright. In the real world, copyright
>> holders don't sue such an individual, for normal commercial reasons.
>> Microsoft, for example, just doesn't sue an individual who has
>> merely breached its copyright.

> They do go after the individual.

Not for just downloading they dont in this country.

> See:

> http://www.zdnetasia.com/riaa-wins-court-case-against-u-s-file-sharer-62033073.htm

Different country.

> http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/digital-life/games/nintendo-pirate-just-a-shy-gamer-dad-20100210-nrlr.html

He didnt just download.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitol_v._Thomas

Different country.

From: Rod Speed on
Craig wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote
>> Craig wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote

>>> Time is money.

>> Like hell it is with individual P2P downloaders doing the downloading in the background.

> Time is the issue.

Like hell it is with individual P2P downloaders doing the downloading in the background.

> If it takes 2 weeks to download it

It doesnt.

> then the advantage to the downloader is lost.

Wrong, as always. I wouldnt pay for it.

> They might as well go to the music store.

They dont bother.

From: Rod Speed on
Craig wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote
>> Craig wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote

>>> Will a free redirector give you good download speeds?

>> Yep.

> Why would they give you that much bandwidth for free?

Because it doesnt cost them a cent.

> What's in it for them?

Some enjoy shafting copyright holders.

From: Rod Speed on
Craig wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote

>>> What makes you so sure about this?

>> Because there is nothing to be gained by doing that.

>> There was something to be gained by shafting an uploader.

> Why did they do in the US then?

Because their system has statutory penaltys. Ours doesnt.

> All P2P downloaders at fast speeds are uploaders.

Wrong, as always.

>>> You think Australia will be a safe-haven for downloaders?

>> In the sense that they wont be sued here, yes.

>>> Are you aware of the the Aus-US free trade agreement?

>> Its completely and utterly irrelevant to that particular question.

>> The US doesnt get to write our law as a result of that agreement.

>>> Will that work through all ISPs?

>> Some do choose to block P2P traffic, but even those can be trivially bypassed using VPNs.

> Are there free and fast VPNs which don't keep records?

Corse there are.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Prev: How do I turn my mouse off?
Next: Centrelink error...