From: Ron on
On 08/01/2010 15:06, Denny Strauser wrote:
> Arny Krueger wrote:
>> "George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> Yamaha ls9 about 1 year started ghosting on led's and one
>>> fader motor failed
>>
>> Sure am glad that I didn't follow up on George's offer of this console
>> on AAPLS when he had it up for sale a couple of months ago.
>>
>> It was described as being in "perfect condition".
>>
>> When that claim was challenged at the time, George said: "I love the
>> ls9 but seems like the right time to get my value out of it
>> before the price of digital boards crashes, like all electronics do
>> eventually "
>
> The desk worked perfectly the first week of December when I used it.
> -Denny

Does the team think that an analogue desk might have a longer life than
a digital, or do pots and switches wear out faster than displays and
lead free solderised boards?

Ron(UK)
From: Rupert on
On Jan 8, 3:53 am, "George's Pro Sound Co." <bm...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

--snip--

> I just sold my ls9/32 and will be getting by with the 840/852s along with
> the lx7's until I choose a new large format digital product
> with so much new digital on the market and the established stuff about ready
> for the next generation to come out this may take a year or more before I
> drop another 15-30K on a flagship desk for my operation
> George

Well George, with Uli's recent acquisition of Midas & KT, you probably
don't have long to wait before you can buy the Behringer version of
the $200,000 Midas XL8 for a few hundred bucks ;-) FWIW, Yamaha is
aware of problems with the faders, at least on the M7, and have
switched to a different model. I imagine they're different on the
current shipping LS9. I know one M7 owner that recently had to replace
all the faders on his M7 as most of them failed within 2 years.
Unfortunately it was at his expense since it was outside the warranty
period. The replacements are better sealed from dirt and seem to be
reliable.

Rupert
From: McSteve on
"George wrote:
> I believe as many 600$ behringer 3216's are still in service(%wise) as
> 600$ mackies

Except, a $600 Mackie retails for $1000.

--
Steve <snip> McQ

From: Denny Strauser on
Rupert wrote:
> Well George, with Uli's recent acquisition of Midas & KT, you probably
> don't have long to wait before you can buy the Behringer version of
> the $200,000 Midas XL8 for a few hundred bucks ;-) FWIW, Yamaha is
> aware of problems with the faders, at least on the M7, and have
> switched to a different model. I imagine they're different on the
> current shipping LS9. I know one M7 owner that recently had to replace
> all the faders on his M7 as most of them failed within 2 years.
> Unfortunately it was at his expense since it was outside the warranty
> period. The replacements are better sealed from dirt and seem to be
> reliable.
> Rupert

I've noticed on numerous M7's & LS9's that when channels are linked, the
faders don't track each other evenly, although the screen says they have
the same values. It drives me nuts seeing the faders at different
positions although they are at the "same" level.
- Denny
From: Arny Krueger on
"Ron" <ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message

> Does the team think that an analogue desk might have a
> longer life than a digital, or do pots and switches wear
> out faster than displays and lead free solderised boards?

Not the actual comparison. For example, the faders used on many digital
boards have resistive (around 10K) from which their position is digitized.
The signal won't be lost if one gets intermittent, but setting exact levels
may be a little strange. There are also plenty of switches in a digital
console, but again they affect control voltages, not actual signals.

ROHS affects analog consoles and ICs pretty much the same way it affects
digital consoles and IC.

Of course there are usually far fewer controls on a digital console for its
size, so they are more likely to actually wear out from use, but is less
likely to gum up from not being used.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: we got a little snow