From: Tim S Kemp on

"Denny Strauser" <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Rupert wrote:
>> Well George, with Uli's recent acquisition of Midas & KT, you probably
>> don't have long to wait before you can buy the Behringer version of
>> the $200,000 Midas XL8 for a few hundred bucks ;-) FWIW, Yamaha is
>> aware of problems with the faders, at least on the M7, and have
>> switched to a different model. I imagine they're different on the
>> current shipping LS9. I know one M7 owner that recently had to replace
>> all the faders on his M7 as most of them failed within 2 years.
>> Unfortunately it was at his expense since it was outside the warranty
>> period. The replacements are better sealed from dirt and seem to be
>> reliable.
>> Rupert
>
> I've noticed on numerous M7's & LS9's that when channels are linked, the
> faders don't track each other evenly, although the screen says they have
> the same values. It drives me nuts seeing the faders at different
> positions although they are at the "same" level.
> - Denny

You can make the console recalibrate which sorts that out.

--
And remember kids, RAID is safe and the UPS never fails, and Cisco routers
never develop intermittent faults, and external hard drives never fail with

From: Ron on
On 08/01/2010 23:23, Arny Krueger wrote:
> "Ron"<ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message
>
>> Does the team think that an analogue desk might have a
>> longer life than a digital, or do pots and switches wear
>> out faster than displays and lead free solderised boards?
>
> Not the actual comparison. For example, the faders used on many digital
> boards have resistive (around 10K) from which their position is digitized.
> The signal won't be lost if one gets intermittent, but setting exact levels
> may be a little strange. There are also plenty of switches in a digital
> console, but again they affect control voltages, not actual signals.
>
> ROHS affects analog consoles and ICs pretty much the same way it affects
> digital consoles and IC.

Indeed, but not generally with equipment say 10/15 years old built
before the dreaded lead free was dreampt up.

> Of course there are usually far fewer controls on a digital console for its
> size, so they are more likely to actually wear out from use, but is less
> likely to gum up from not being used.

Absolutely, There are fewer rotary pots, but individually, they get used
more, of course it would be easy to use very high quality pots - even
custom made - as there's only a (relative) handful of them.

They may even use rotary encoders in place of resistive pots? I don't know.

That was my point about the quality of manufacture, at the moment most
digital desks are high value items and made by companies who have pride
in their reputations and don't skimp on sockets, pots, switches etc. I
bet there`s not many Behringer digital desks still in perfect working order.

Ron(UK)

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

> On 08/01/2010 23:23, Arny Krueger wrote:
>> "Ron"<ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Does the team think that an analogue desk might have a
>>> longer life than a digital, or do pots and switches wear
>>> out faster than displays and lead free solderised boards?
>>
>> Not the actual comparison. For example, the faders used on many digital
>> boards have resistive (around 10K) from which their position is
>> digitized.
>> The signal won't be lost if one gets intermittent, but setting exact
>> levels
>> may be a little strange. There are also plenty of switches in a digital
>> console, but again they affect control voltages, not actual signals.
>>
>> ROHS affects analog consoles and ICs pretty much the same way it affects
>> digital consoles and IC.
>
> Indeed, but not generally with equipment say 10/15 years old built before
> the dreaded lead free was dreampt up.
>

>> Of course there are usually far fewer controls on a digital console for
>> its
>> size, so they are more likely to actually wear out from use, but is less
>> likely to gum up from not being used.
>>

> Absolutely, There are fewer rotary pots, but individually, they get used
> more, of course it would be easy to use very high quality pots - even
> custom made - as there's only a (relative) handful of them.
>
> They may even use rotary encoders in place of resistive pots? I don't
> know.
>
> That was my point about the quality of manufacture, at the moment most
> digital desks are high value items and made by companies who have pride in
> their reputations and don't skimp on sockets, pots, switches etc. I bet
> there`s not many Behringer digital desks still in perfect working order.
>
> Ron(UK)

not many desks in perfect working order after a year in service regardless
of make , cost or heritage, unless they have been repaired
you are trying to make a connection that just doesn't exist IMO
every thing breaks, 200K$ xl8's have failures reported, within months of
delivery
in order to get the return on investment repaidr is the ONLY option
with a 600$ desk it very well could have earned you dozens of times its cost
before it fails making repair only one of several options
nobody buys a 60$ desk planning on decades of daily service.
I still have a 'perfect" 3216
it never failed , my ls9 needed a factory overhaul within a year(yamaha
picked up the tab) to return it to perfect
I simply can not see how you avoid the return in investment and the reason
equipment gets depreciated in accounting facts of life

you want to have a desk you will keep"forever" buy a xl8, but it will see
just as much, if not more bench time as a 3216
buy a tool to do a job, even axes need to be sharpened! whenthe tool is
worn out, get rid of it
chances are yyou will have earned several dozen times the cost of the 3216
before it is worn out where as you would be lucky to EVER earn the cost of
the xl8 during its life time
george

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on
Ron , I just bought another small desk, a yamaha 2 input something , I don't
even know the model number but it was 500$
shuld Iplan on a fixed lifetime based on time, or a lifetime based on return
on investment based on number of rentals
as a business person that is aeasy answer
I do not get emotional about gear, my inventory is constantly in flux
you can actually use gear for almost free is you

A. are buying it right
and
B.sell it off after a few uses
george

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Ron , I just bought another small desk, a yamaha 2 input something

sorry that was 20 input analouge with compressors built in on the first 8
mic ins
george

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10