From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 12/01/2010 23:02, in article hiirib$3du$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
"Phil Jones" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote:

> "Joe Kotroczo" <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message
>> On 08/01/2010 16:12, in article Ju6dnaWwQ7HZ1trWnZ2dnUVZ8rqdnZ2d(a)bt.com,
>> "Ron" <ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote:
>> (...)
>>>
>>> Does the team think that an analogue desk might have a longer life than
>>> a digital, or do pots and switches wear out faster than displays and
>>> lead free solderised boards?
>>
>> Pab Boothroyd was touring last year with a Midas Pro40.
>
> With a PRO6 alongside it !!!

My point was that the Pro40 is still working after 25 years on the road.
They refurbished it, yes. But will a Pro6 still be usable, or even
refurbishable, in 25 years? I doubt it.

By choosing to mix on what essentially are computers, we also chose the much
shorter life-spans of computers. Nowadays, computers are obsolete after 3-5
years. The same will apply to digital mixers.

I'm not saying that's good or bad, I'm just saying that's something to
factor into your business plan.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: Arny Krueger on
"Sean Conolly" <sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote in message

> At what point does it become a 'resistive encoder' ?

A potentiometer encodes changes in shaft position as changes in resistance.
It also encodes the angle of a shaft as a resistance.

The pots on the faders of digital consoles encode the position of the fader
as a resistance.

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

> On 12/01/2010 23:02, in article hiirib$3du$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
> "Phil Jones" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote:
>
>> "Joe Kotroczo" <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message
>>> On 08/01/2010 16:12, in article Ju6dnaWwQ7HZ1trWnZ2dnUVZ8rqdnZ2d(a)bt.com,
>>> "Ron" <ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote:
>>> (...)

>>> Pab Boothroyd was touring last year with a Midas Pro40.
>>
>> With a PRO6 alongside it !!!
>
> My point was that the Pro40 is still working after 25 years on the road.
> They refurbished it, yes. But will a Pro6 still be usable, or even
> refurbishable, in 25 years? I doubt it.
>
> By choosing to mix on what essentially are computers, we also chose the
> much
> shorter life-spans of computers. Nowadays, computers are obsolete after
> 3-5
> years. The same will apply to digital mixers.

this was central to my selling off my going on 3 years old ls9
get the value out of while there still is some, we have one poster here that
is sitting on a o2r they paid close to 9000$ for , average resell price of
that desk today is around 500$

> I'm not saying that's good or bad, I'm just saying that's something to
> factor into your business plan.

Yes , it will be very hard to justify spending serious cash on a product
that will be out dated in 3-5 years, but the techniology is moving that fast
I am thinking about getting another old school big desk cause the value is
better, Hell there are ATI 56 channel desks out there for 3000$ and less
I can get another 840 for around 1500$
I loved my digital but with so many products competeing for the same market
it might be a better choice to go with somethiong well established that has
already lost all its "WOW" value but is still a very servicable product
George

From: Sean Conolly on
"Arny Krueger" <arnyk(a)hotpop.com> wrote in message
> "Sean Conolly" <sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote in message
>
>> At what point does it become a 'resistive encoder' ?
>
> A potentiometer encodes changes in shaft position as changes in
> resistance. It also encodes the angle of a shaft as a resistance.
>
> The pots on the faders of digital consoles encode the position of the
> fader as a resistance.

I see a big difference between the two cases.

The digital encoder is is actually changing the output to a numeric value,
which a processor reads - i.e. decodes. With a regular pot there is no
decoding, the change in resistance is applied directly to the analog signal.
To say that's 'encoding' the position of the shaft is like saying that that
a latch on a door encodes the position of the door knob. You could say
anything that had both cause and effect was encoding.

Makes no sense to me, and I can't think of any engineers I've worked with in
the last 25 years who would try to make such a claim. So going back to your
original statement:

"I guess you aren't aware of the fact that there have been consoles with
linear faders based on rotary resistive encoders, AKA regular
potentiometers."

.... that is correct - and I'm still not aware of any and I don't think you
are either. You just tossed in the word encoder for your own reasons. Most
people would say it was plain BS, but YMMV.

Sean

From: Ron on
On 13/01/2010 15:18, Sean Conolly wrote:
> "Arny Krueger"<arnyk(a)hotpop.com> wrote in message
>> "Sean Conolly"<sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> At what point does it become a 'resistive encoder' ?
>>
>> A potentiometer encodes changes in shaft position as changes in
>> resistance. It also encodes the angle of a shaft as a resistance.

A variable resistor doesn't 'encode' anything.

>> The pots on the faders of digital consoles encode the position of the
>> fader as a resistance.

No they don't 'encode' anything

> I see a big difference between the two cases.
>
> The digital encoder is is actually changing the output to a numeric value,
> which a processor reads - i.e. decodes. With a regular pot there is no
> decoding, the change in resistance is applied directly to the analog signal.
> To say that's 'encoding' the position of the shaft is like saying that that
> a latch on a door encodes the position of the door knob. You could say
> anything that had both cause and effect was encoding.

At least a door latch is digital - either open or closed ;)

> Makes no sense to me, and I can't think of any engineers I've worked with in
> the last 25 years who would try to make such a claim. So going back to your
> original statement:
>
> "I guess you aren't aware of the fact that there have been consoles with
> linear faders based on rotary resistive encoders, AKA regular
> potentiometers."
>
> ... that is correct - and I'm still not aware of any and I don't think you
> are either. You just tossed in the word encoder for your own reasons. Most
> people would say it was plain BS, but YMMV.

I have a couple of interesting old faders, one is a Penny & Giles
optical in which the slider (actually a quadrant) rotates a tinted glass
between a lamp and a photocell. I guess you might call it rotary at a
pinch, but it ain't no 'encoder'

The other is a strange device where a linear slider moves a rack which
revolves a pinion on a normal potentiometer (much like the workings of
a CryBaby) That ain't an 'encoder' either. This one came out of some
ancient valve amp from the late 50`s, Phillips IIRC.

Ron

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: we got a little snow