From: Ron on
On 09/01/2010 13:53, George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:
> "Ron"<ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message
>> On 08/01/2010 23:23, Arny Krueger wrote:
>>> "Ron"<ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message

>>> Not the actual comparison. For example, the faders used on many digital
>>> boards have resistive (around 10K) from which their position is
>>> digitized.
>>> The signal won't be lost if one gets intermittent, but setting exact
>>> levels
>>> may be a little strange. There are also plenty of switches in a digital
>>> console, but again they affect control voltages, not actual signals.
>>>
>>> ROHS affects analog consoles and ICs pretty much the same way it affects
>>> digital consoles and IC.
>>
>> Indeed, but not generally with equipment say 10/15 years old built before
>> the dreaded lead free was dreampt up.
>>

>>> Of course there are usually far fewer controls on a digital console for
>>> its
>>> size, so they are more likely to actually wear out from use, but is less
>>> likely to gum up from not being used.
>>>

>> Absolutely, There are fewer rotary pots, but individually, they get used
>> more, of course it would be easy to use very high quality pots - even
>> custom made - as there's only a (relative) handful of them.
>>
>> They may even use rotary encoders in place of resistive pots? I don't
>> know.
>>
>> That was my point about the quality of manufacture, at the moment most
>> digital desks are high value items and made by companies who have pride in
>> their reputations and don't skimp on sockets, pots, switches etc. I bet
>> there`s not many Behringer digital desks still in perfect working order.
>>
>> Ron(UK)
>>
> not many desks in perfect working order after a year in service regardless
> of make , cost or heritage, unless they have been repaired
> you are trying to make a connection that just doesn't exist IMO
> every thing breaks, 200K$ xl8's have failures reported, within months of
> delivery
> in order to get the return on investment repaidr is the ONLY option
> with a 600$ desk it very well could have earned you dozens of times its cost
> before it fails making repair only one of several options
> nobody buys a 60$ desk planning on decades of daily service.
> I still have a 'perfect" 3216
> it never failed , my ls9 needed a factory overhaul within a year(yamaha
> picked up the tab) to return it to perfect
> I simply can not see how you avoid the return in investment and the reason
> equipment gets depreciated in accounting facts of life
>
> you want to have a desk you will keep"forever" buy a xl8, but it will see
> just as much, if not more bench time as a 3216
> buy a tool to do a job, even axes need to be sharpened! whenthe tool is
> worn out, get rid of it
> chances are yyou will have earned several dozen times the cost of the 3216
> before it is worn out where as you would be lucky to EVER earn the cost of
> [...]

I aint superstitious, but I`m wary of tempting providence by talking
about the reliability of the desks I use ;)
From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

> On 09/01/2010 13:53, George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:
>> "Ron"<ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message

>>> Indeed, but not generally with equipment say 10/15 years old built
>>> before
>>> the dreaded lead free was dreampt up.

>>> Absolutely, There are fewer rotary pots, but individually, they get used
>>> more, of course it would be easy to use very high quality pots - even
>>> custom made - as there's only a (relative) handful of them.
>>>
>>> They may even use rotary encoders in place of resistive pots? I don't
>>> know.
>>>
>>> That was my point about the quality of manufacture, at the moment most
>>> digital desks are high value items and made by companies who have pride
>>> in
>>> their reputations and don't skimp on sockets, pots, switches etc. I bet
>>> there`s not many Behringer digital desks still in perfect working order.
>>>
>>> Ron(UK)
>>>
>> not many desks in perfect working order after a year in service
>> regardless
>> of make , cost or heritage, unless they have been repaired
>> you are trying to make a connection that just doesn't exist IMO
>> every thing breaks, 200K$ xl8's have failures reported, within months of
>> delivery
>> in order to get the return on investment repaidr is the ONLY option
>> with a 600$ desk it very well could have earned you dozens of times its
>> cost
>> before it fails making repair only one of several options
>> nobody buys a 60$ desk planning on decades of daily service.
>> I still have a 'perfect" 3216
>> it never failed , my ls9 needed a factory overhaul within a year(yamaha
>> picked up the tab) to return it to perfect
>> I simply can not see how you avoid the return in investment and the
>> reason
>> equipment gets depreciated in accounting facts of life
>>
>> you want to have a desk you will keep"forever" buy a xl8, but it will see
>> just as much, if not more bench time as a 3216
>> buy a tool to do a job, even axes need to be sharpened! whenthe tool is
>> worn out, get rid of it
>> chances are yyou will have earned several dozen times the cost of the
>> 3216
>> before it is worn out where as you would be lucky to EVER earn the cost
>> of
>> the xl8 during its life time
>> george
>>>

> I aint superstitious, but I`m wary of tempting providence by talking about
> the reliability of the desks I use ;)

it is just stuff ron, no shame in it breaking, it is just a means to a end
that end is earning a living for me
if that end was showing off all the fancy shitI could buy I would be into
golf , fly fishing or hot rods
george

From: Ron on
On 09/01/2010 13:57, George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:
> Ron , I just bought another small desk, a yamaha 2 input something , I don't
> even know the model number but it was 500$
> shuld Iplan on a fixed lifetime based on time, or a lifetime based on return
> on investment based on number of rentals

> as a business person that is aeasy answer
> I do not get emotional about gear, my inventory is constantly in flux
> you can actually use gear for almost free is you
>
> A. are buying it right
> and
> B.sell it off after a few uses
> george

Well that's the right way to run a business, buy it, use it, sell it off
before it loses too much value.

I tend to sell on my used equipment into installs or situations where I
can still keep an eye on it. I can offer a good deal on a package and
know that the gear is in good condition and will provide the new owner
with value for money.
I recently provided a school with some virtually new radio mikes and
headsets, they made money for me for a few months then were moved on so
yeah, if effect, they cost me nothing and helped pay the bills.

I never bother about whether one particular individual piece of kit pays
for itself or not, there`s a much bigger picture to consider.

I don't do dry hire, so my equipment is in general in very good condition.

From: Ron on
On 09/01/2010 14:17, George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:
> "Ron"<ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message
>> On 09/01/2010 13:53, George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:
>>> "Ron"<ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message

>>> not many desks in perfect working order after a year in service
>>> regardless
>>> of make , cost or heritage, unless they have been repaired
>>> you are trying to make a connection that just doesn't exist IMO
>>> every thing breaks, 200K$ xl8's have failures reported, within months of
>>> delivery
>>> in order to get the return on investment repaidr is the ONLY option
>>> with a 600$ desk it very well could have earned you dozens of times its
>>> cost
>>> before it fails making repair only one of several options
>>> nobody buys a 60$ desk planning on decades of daily service.
>>> I still have a 'perfect" 3216
>>> it never failed , my ls9 needed a factory overhaul within a year(yamaha
>>> picked up the tab) to return it to perfect
>>> I simply can not see how you avoid the return in investment and the
>>> reason
>>> equipment gets depreciated in accounting facts of life
>>>
>>> you want to have a desk you will keep"forever" buy a xl8, but it will see
>>> just as much, if not more bench time as a 3216
>>> buy a tool to do a job, even axes need to be sharpened! whenthe tool is
>>> worn out, get rid of it
>>> chances are yyou will have earned several dozen times the cost of the
>>> 3216
>>> before it is worn out where as you would be lucky to EVER earn the cost
>>> of
>>> the xl8 during its life time
>>> george
>>>>

>> I aint superstitious, but I`m wary of tempting providence by talking about
>> the reliability of the desks I use ;)
>
> it is just stuff ron, no shame in it breaking, it is just a means to a end
> that end is earning a living for me
> if that end was showing off all the fancy shitI could buy I would be into
> golf , fly fishing or hot rods
> george

I`m a bit jealous of that Mando though...
From: Ron on
On 09/01/2010 14:01, George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:
> "George's Pro Sound Co."<bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Ron , I just bought another small desk, a yamaha 2 input something
>
> sorry that was 20 input analouge with compressors built in on the first 8
> mic ins
> george

That would perhaps be one of the MG series, they are surprisingly good
for the money. How do you rate the built in compressors?

Ron

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: we got a little snow