From: Michael on
Max Arwood wrote:

> Do these codecs effect the sound quality of the audio output of the sound
> card?

They don't with my hardware, but YMMV... I really don't know.

> Would Sonar be using these if they were installed?

Nope. HS2 freaks out and always has - like, it crashes instantly - when I
even try to *import* a 24bit (unless 48k sampled and HS running at 48k) or
32bit file, because my audio hardware doesn't support them. Seems likely to
me that it works at the driver level only for wave audio and only uses
codecs to decode mp3s for import.

> Would I even
> want to put these in a DAW?

This I'm not sure about either. :-\

I'll poke around and see what I can dig up.

From: Michael on
Michael wrote:

> Max Arwood wrote:
>
>> Do these codecs effect the sound quality of the audio output of the sound
>> card?
>
> They don't with my hardware, but YMMV... I really don't know.
>
>> Would Sonar be using these if they were installed?
>
> Nope. HS2 freaks out and always has - like, it crashes instantly - when I
> even try to *import* a 24bit (unless 48k sampled and HS running at 48k) or
> 32bit file, because my audio hardware doesn't support them. Seems likely
> to me that it works at the driver level only for wave audio and only uses
> codecs to decode mp3s for import.
>
>> Would I even
>> want to put these in a DAW?
>
> This I'm not sure about either. :-\
>
> I'll poke around and see what I can dig up.

FFDshow is a DirectShow decoder/filter set, so WMP will definitely use it if
it's installed... and AFAICT, Sonar wouldn't bother with FFDshow's audio
stuff (else why profile audio hardware/drivers?) and would only use its
video codecs if they were needed.

From: Sue Morton on
Max Arwood wrote:
> Do these codecs effect the sound quality of the audio output of the sound
> card? Would Sonar be using these if they were installed? Would I even want
> to put these in a DAW?
> Thanks again,
> Max Arwood

I don't have FFDSHOW on the system that will play your 24-bit sample
file, so I'll have to look further for what codec may be allowing that
playback. I'm still hunting...

As far as putting it on a DAW -- I wouldn't expect FFDSHOW to affect
Sonar, for reasons already mentioned regarding its low-level use of
hardware. BUT I do know (both from reading and from personal
experience) that too many codecs of similar function can 'confuse'
software and a poorly written codec may be selected over one that was
working perfectly.

As a rule-of-thumb, I don't recommend installing codecs unless/until you
actually need them. FFDSHOW uses the Libavcodec routines, which are
pretty darn good. But FFDSHOW can supplant other DirectX filters you
may have on the system. If you are doing work with DirectX you may want
to take a backup image of your OS before installing FFDSHOW, or at a
minimum have a system restore point.
--
Sue Morton
From: Shawn O'Connor on

"kitekrazy" <kitekrazy(a)sbcglobal.net.nospam> wrote in message
> polymod wrote:
> > "Sue Morton" <867-5309(a)domain.invalid> wrote in message
> >> I've never used WinAmp so I don't know how that one compares.
> >
> > I've said it above, and I'll say it again.
> > I've been using Winamp for years. It opens ALL my 24 bit files.
> >
> > There....I said it again<g>
> >
> > Poly
> >

> One more time.....
>
> I agree with you there.

This might help.....

Legacy HD Audio Filter - Many audio processing applications still produce
high-definition audio such as 24bit/96kHz in a legacy WAV format. By default
DirectShow players (such as Media Player) won't be able to play these files
as the Audio Renderer refuses to accept this legacy type even though it is
perfectly capable of playing it. This filter registers itself as being able
to handle this legacy format, and at the same time converts to a format the
DirectShow Audio Renderer will accept (WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE). This is done
without altering the audio data in any way.

http://www.chrisnet.net/msdn/AudioTypeConvert.zip

Download it, Unzip it, and place the AudioTypeConvert.ax file in your
System32 folder.
Then open a Command Prompt and register it with this:

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\AudioTypeConvert.ax

If you want to remove it at anytime just unregister it with:

regsvr32 /U c:\windows\system32\AudioTypeConvert.ax

From: Max Arwood on
How do you know all this stuff???? And where were you the other day when we
needed you?
OK well thanks for the info.
Thanks,
Max Arwood

"Shawn O'Connor" <SO(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

> "kitekrazy" <kitekrazy(a)sbcglobal.net.nospam> wrote in message
>> polymod wrote:
>> > "Sue Morton" <867-5309(a)domain.invalid> wrote in message
>> >
>> > I've said it above, and I'll say it again.
>> > I've been using Winamp for years. It opens ALL my 24 bit files.
>> >
>> > There....I said it again<g>
>> >
>> > Poly
>> >

>> One more time.....
>>
>> I agree with you there.
>
> This might help.....
>
> Legacy HD Audio Filter - Many audio processing applications still produce
> high-definition audio such as 24bit/96kHz in a legacy WAV format. By
> default
> DirectShow players (such as Media Player) won't be able to play these
> files
> as the Audio Renderer refuses to accept this legacy type even though it is
> perfectly capable of playing it. This filter registers itself as being
> able
> to handle this legacy format, and at the same time converts to a format
> the
> DirectShow Audio Renderer will accept (WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE). This is done
> without altering the audio data in any way.
>
> http://www.chrisnet.net/msdn/AudioTypeConvert.zip
>
> Download it, Unzip it, and place the AudioTypeConvert.ax file in your
> System32 folder.
> Then open a Command Prompt and register it with this:
>
> regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\AudioTypeConvert.ax
>
> If you want to remove it at anytime just unregister it with:
>
> regsvr32 /U c:\windows\system32\AudioTypeConvert.ax

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Prev: Please help
Next: Midi Latency -Recording only