From: Chris H on
In message <go5fi59co215hevliopsf6gkdn1nfuvtkb(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes

>>>Perhaps you mean "no Brits except Christ H." He thinks there's a
>>>British-Irish war and it's still going on.
>>
>>There was never in the last 100 years a British-Irish war. There was
>>"the troubles" where some criminals committed murders etc.
>
>And some of them were British paras.

Those members of the British Forces who killed innocent people were
prosecuted in CIVIL courts.

Members of the US forces who kill innocent civilians and friendly forces
get promoted and medals.

From: tony cooper on
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:03:28 +0000, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
wrote:

>We do have people who live in "mobile homes" which are the same as your
>"trailer parks" though whilst these "mobile homes" are technically
>movable they don't move for years (if ever). However there is not the
>same stigma attached to them as in the USA.

I was not aware that there are now "respectable" mobile home parks in
the UK.

>Many are older retired people but these parks are usually immaculate and
>very well maintained. Flowers in gardens etc.
>
>> Our "trailer trash"
>>and "trailer parks" are similar to your traveller encampments, but
>>without the single ethnic group association.
>
>Agreed... BTW I think you mean "New Age Travellers" the older
>Travellers are Gypsies, Romanys, Tinkers etc and they have a completely
>separate culture and are ethnic. They would NEVER deam of getting
>anywhere near a Springer type show. They sort out their own problems and
>don't let social services or the police anywhere near their problems.

I did mean travellers in the tinker sense and was referring to the
trashy appearance. If you've ever seen a temporary traveller
encampment next to a lay-by, you'd know what I mean. It's a bigger
problem in the ROI.

>I agree... Also I can't see how they can Blame Obama for not (yet)
>getting them out of the mess created by Bush. The huge mistakes Bush
>made can not be rectified overnight.

I'm not sure they can be rectified in one administration term (four
years).
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Chris H on
In message <15rhi5t2nld2k43avk9jtjj73crc05rcb1(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes
>On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:03:28 +0000, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
>wrote:
>
>>We do have people who live in "mobile homes" which are the same as your
>>"trailer parks" though whilst these "mobile homes" are technically
>>movable they don't move for years (if ever). However there is not the
>>same stigma attached to them as in the USA.
>
>I was not aware that there are now "respectable" mobile home parks in
>the UK.
>
>>Many are older retired people but these parks are usually immaculate and
>>very well maintained. Flowers in gardens etc.
>>
>>> Our "trailer trash"
>>>and "trailer parks" are similar to your traveller encampments, but
>>>without the single ethnic group association.
>>
>>Agreed... BTW I think you mean "New Age Travellers" the older
>>Travellers are Gypsies, Romanys, Tinkers etc and they have a completely
>>separate culture and are ethnic. They would NEVER deam of getting
>>anywhere near a Springer type show. They sort out their own problems and
>>don't let social services or the police anywhere near their problems.
>
>I did mean travellers in the tinker sense and was referring to the
>trashy appearance.

Then that does have an ethnic component.

>If you've ever seen a temporary traveller
>encampment next to a lay-by, you'd know what I mean. It's a bigger
>problem in the ROI.

I know what you mean :-))

>>I agree... Also I can't see how they can Blame Obama for not (yet)
>>getting them out of the mess created by Bush. The huge mistakes Bush
>>made can not be rectified overnight.
>
>I'm not sure they can be rectified in one administration term (four
>years).

I don't think so either. It will be a long and painful haul. Also with
changes in the world eg climate change and the change in the global
political scene the US may see more changes than most in daily life.

However the next election could be the end of the USA as we know it. If
the people loose faith with Obama as the cure is only half way done the
alternative is Palin.......

Now there is a depressing thought.

From: tony cooper on
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 14:54:19 +0000, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
wrote:

>In message <15rhi5t2nld2k43avk9jtjj73crc05rcb1(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
><tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes
>>On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:03:28 +0000, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>We do have people who live in "mobile homes" which are the same as your
>>>"trailer parks" though whilst these "mobile homes" are technically
>>>movable they don't move for years (if ever). However there is not the
>>>same stigma attached to them as in the USA.
>>
>>I was not aware that there are now "respectable" mobile home parks in
>>the UK.
>>
>>>Many are older retired people but these parks are usually immaculate and
>>>very well maintained. Flowers in gardens etc.

>>>Agreed... BTW I think you mean "New Age Travellers" the older
>>>Travellers are Gypsies, Romanys, Tinkers etc and they have a completely
>>>separate culture and are ethnic. They would NEVER deam of getting
>>>anywhere near a Springer type show. They sort out their own problems and
>>>don't let social services or the police anywhere near their problems.
>>
>>I did mean travellers in the tinker sense and was referring to the
>>trashy appearance.
>
>Then that does have an ethnic component.

Jeez, Chris. My writing is pretty clear. The "without the single
ethnic group association" refers to the US trailer park residents.
Just re-read the paragraph.

>However the next election could be the end of the USA as we know it. If
>the people loose faith with Obama as the cure is only half way done the
>alternative is Palin.......

I've been around long enough to not be surprised by anything that
involves politics, but I don't see Palin as a serious candidate in the
next election. She'll be relegated to a fund raiser and an
attention-grabber for other candidates in the next presidential
election.

She gets a lot of press because she's attractive and quirky, but her
appeal is to a very narrow group. The DNC won't make that mistake
twice. Also, she's acquiring a track record for quitting.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Chris H on
In message <3n1ii51agbel186espcdaqqlprrgr4te6b(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes
>On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 14:54:19 +0000, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
>wrote:
>
>>In message <15rhi5t2nld2k43avk9jtjj73crc05rcb1(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
>><tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes

>>>I was not aware that there are now "respectable" mobile home parks in
>>>the UK.

>>>I did mean travellers in the tinker sense and was referring to the
>>>trashy appearance.
>>
>>Then that does have an ethnic component.
>
>Jeez, Chris. My writing is pretty clear. The "without the single
>ethnic group association" refers to the US trailer park residents.
>Just re-read the paragraph.

Sorry.... I see what you mean.

I meant that The UK "travellers" do have an ethnic component (and 4*4
SUV's) where as the "new age travellers" don't. Their camps attract the
same public support :-) and look similar though the New Age traveller
are a bit more colourful.

The main difference is the "new age" bunch have rainbows, knit their own
yoghurt, have music and mind enhancing substances and are very
ecologically minded.

>>However the next election could be the end of the USA as we know it. If
>>the people loose faith with Obama as the cure is only half way done the
>>alternative is Palin.......
>
>I've been around long enough to not be surprised by anything that
>involves politics, but I don't see Palin as a serious candidate in the
>next election. She'll be relegated to a fund raiser and an
>attention-grabber for other candidates in the next presidential
>election.

I agree but there are many Americans who will think you are a complete
imbecile as she is apparently far better qualified in every department
than Obama and will be the next US president (for life)... (ask Neil :-)

>She gets a lot of press because she's attractive and quirky, but her
>appeal is to a very narrow group. The DNC won't make that mistake
>twice. Also, she's acquiring a track record for quitting.

You had better hope so. If She gets in it will really screw up the USA.
At the same time it would also frighten the life out of the EU and they
may actually start working together sensibly. Net result is a weaker USA
and a more coherent and stronger EU....