From: Tom Shelton on
After serious thinking Dr Nancy's Sweetie wrote :
> For most small projects, in VB6 and earlier, you could just email
> someone the form file, and VB would open it and away you go.
>
> I've recently been shifted to VB2008, which I find is full of
> needless complications. One of them is that you can't just send a
> form file: it appears that the information which used to be stored
> in the form file is now split across several different files, for
> no reason that makes the least sense to me.
>
> Aside from zipping up the entire tree, does anyone know of a way in
> VB2008 to have it store all the information about a form in one file,
> so as to simplify sharing small projects?
>

> Darren Provine ! kilroy(a)elvis.rowan.edu ! http://www.rowan.edu/~kilroy
> "I use not only all the brains I have, but all those I can borrow as
> well." -- Woodrow Wilson

Hmmm... While I can't imagine sending a single form without the entire
project - it's not that difficult. You simply open the folder and grab
the 2 or 3 files that make up a typical form, zip, and send.

For instance, if for a form named MyForm will typically be broken down
into the followin 3 files

MyForm.vb
MyForm.Designer.vb
MyForm.resx

The MyForm.vb contains user code, where as MyForm.Designer.vb contains
the code generated by the windows forms designer. The resx file is
your resources (this is some what akin to the .frx file from
VB.CLASSIC).

The .net forms designer uses code serialization to represent forms -
and in versions previous to 2005 it was all in one file, MyForm.vb.
This was somewhat messy and programmers sometimes were tempted to mess
with the generated code - only to have the changes lost next time the
designer decided to regenerate the form. With introduction of partial
classes - the ability to split a class across more than one file - in
VB2005, the desginer and user code began to be seperated in a more
logical manner.

As an interesting side note, partial classes also were a work around
for the inadequacies of microsoft's visual source safe and it's
terrible locking behavior. The introduction of partial classes made it
easier for 2 devs to work on the same class without running into VSS's
horrible (and well documented deficiencies - there is a reason that MS
dumped it after VSS2005). Of course, now that I use a real source
control engine (subversion) partial classes are really only good for
designer or wizard generated code :) This has been taken even a step
farther in 2008 with the introduction of partial methods....

HTH

--
Tom Shelton

From: Mike Williams on
"Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton(a)comcast.invalid> wrote in message

> I advise you and the other .NOTTERS to actually read
> the charter of this group. It DOES NOT limit this group
> to classic VB in anyway -

Of course it doesn't! Are you really that stupid? The charter (if one
actually exists) would have been written long before the dotnet imposter was
first released and whoever wrote that charter had no idea that Micro$oft
would one day release an imposter based on a totally different programming
paradigm and that they would dishonestly continue to apply the name Visual
Basic to it. There is no need for an amendment to the charter, and anyone
with any sense at all who has been using the Visual Basic newsgroups for any
length of time knows exactly which group refers to which product. Also, the
people who do arrive at the wrong group are usually either newcomers or
people who have not previously frequented the programming newsgroups, and
those people will NOT read any charter before posting, so there is no point
in changing it.

Even Micro$oft themselves realised that their dotnet product was something
new and completely different, which is why Micro$oft created a new and
completely different newsgroup for it on their own servers, and Micro$oft
continued to run their own real Visual Basic newsgroup and their new and
different neswgroup for their new and different product in parallel,
something they had never previously felt the need to do in respect of the
various different versions of the real Visual Basic.

It is not the newsgroup charter that needs to be changed, it is the name of
the new dotnet product, which is a dishonest and deliberate Micro$oft ploy
to fool people and to capitalise on the popularity of the real Visual Basic.

Mike

From: Tom Shelton on
Mike Williams wrote :
> "Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton(a)comcast.invalid> wrote in message
>
> > I advise you and the other .NOTTERS to actually read
>> the charter of this group. It DOES NOT limit this group
>> to classic VB in anyway -
>
> Of course it doesn't! Are you really that stupid?

No, but apparently you are.

> The charter (if one
> actually exists)

Here's one reference:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/visual-basic-faq/general-info/

> would have been written long before the dotnet imposter was
> first released and whoever wrote that charter had no idea that Micro$oft
> would one day release an imposter based on a totally different programming
> paradigm and that they would dishonestly continue to apply the name Visual
> Basic to it.

You mean like the differences between VBDOS and VBWin. Or the changes
between vb3 and vb4 - you know, a total change in paradigm. Going from
non-com to COM. Dos to windows? The introduction of classes, etc?
Your going to have to do better then that, Mike.

And may I remind you, like it or not - Microsoft, not you defines what
is or is not Visual Basic. That's what you get when you use a
proprietary language...

> There is no need for an amendment to the charter, and anyone
> with any sense at all who has been using the Visual Basic newsgroups for any
> length of time knows exactly which group refers to which product.

What are you talking about? That may have applied over on the MS
groups - because there was a specific group for vb.net. But, there is
no such division in the comp.lang.* hiearchy.

> Also, the
> people who do arrive at the wrong group are usually either newcomers or
> people who have not previously frequented the programming newsgroups, and
> those people will NOT read any charter before posting, so there is no point
> in changing it.

Ah, but you see - the charter defines what is or is not off topic. And
since, according to the charter this is a area for discussing all
versions of visual basic - it is NOT off topic here.

And until the charter is changed I will answer - or not - any question
I please. The fact is, lately, I find yours and especially Kevin's
reactions to any mention of .NET highly ammusing (though, a little
pathetic).

Yes, I realise that is probably a little trollish - but, given that
VB.NET is not off topic here, your attempts to play moderator on an
unmoderated group and intimidate vb.net users is just as trollish.

> Even Micro$oft themselves realised that their dotnet product was something
> new and completely different, which is why Micro$oft created a new and
> completely different newsgroup for it on their own servers,

There are no doubts that the languages have differences - not all for
the better - but at it's core it's still Visual Basic. It still allows
most of the same sloppy habbits and bad coding practices that
VB.CLASSIC did :)

Microsoft created a whole new hiearchy - the
microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.* - of course that included vb.net...
it also included c# and javascript and j#. And probably would include
things like iron python, iron ruby, and f# if they were still
supporting the newsgroups... duh? new platform...

> and Micro$oft
> continued to run their own real Visual Basic newsgroup and their new and
> different neswgroup for their new and different product in parallel,
> something they had never previously felt the need to do in respect of the
> various different versions of the real Visual Basic.

And? To be honest, I never saw an official statement that said that
only VB.CLASSIC could be discussed on the
microsoft.public.vb.general.dicussion group. I think most people were
just letting you cry-babies have your way... LOL.

Seriously though, at the time, it made sense, as both platforms were
still being supported. But, now vb.classic is as dead and unsupported
as VB3 or VBDOS...

> It is not the newsgroup charter that needs to be changed, it is the name of
> the new dotnet product, which is a dishonest and deliberate Micro$oft ploy to
> fool people and to capitalise on the popularity of the real Visual Basic.

LOL... Mike you know next to nothing about VB beyond version 6. You
have no idea, beyond some old and tired propeganda, how it is or is not
different.

--
Tom Shelton

From: Mike Williams on

> You mean like the differences between VBDOS and VBWin.
> Or the changes between vb3 and vb4 - you know, a total
> change in paradigm.

That's not the same thing, and you know it. As far as actual VB3 code is
concerned, the similarity between VB3 and VB4 far outweighs the differences.
The change from 16 bit to 32 bit (and other stuff) when VB4 was released was
dealt with properly by Micro$oft. VB4 was an honest and worthwhile upgrade
that added a lot of new stuff without taking much away, and Micro$oft
ensured that the people who owned VB3 could in almost all cases easily move
their code from one version to the other, and they specifically created VB4
in such a way that it would deal with both 16 bit and 32 bit. VB4 was
clearly a genuine and honest upgrade of VB3. It was still the real Visual
Basic.

That is not the case with the dotnet imposter, which is something completely
different and which has been dishonestly given the name VB and has been
dishonestly peppered with VB sounding constructs purely for marketing
purposes. Micro$oft are aware of this, and it seems that only you and the
other dotnet evangelists are not, as is evidenced by the fact that Micro$oft
did NOT see the need to create a new newsgroup on their own servers and to
run a VB3 group and a separate VB4 group in parallel, whereas they DID
create a new and different newsgroup for their new and different dotnet
imposter, and they have ran both the Classic VB group and the imposter's new
and different newsgroup in parallel on their own servers. That is a fact.

> LOL... Mike you know next to nothing about
> VB beyond version 6.

There is no VB beyond version 6. Forget the Micro$oft lies, Tom. Wake up,
and smell the coffee.

Having said that, I am not knocking the dotnet imposter in the way that you
seem to think I am doing. If people want to use that kind of product, and
apparently many people do (especially since Micro$oft have been pushing it
down our throats to the extent that they have for years been giving
perfectly workable versions of it away for free!) then that is up to them.
That's fine with me. It is just not a product for me personally, and I have
no desire to use it. The only real problem I have with the imposter is that
I do not like being lied to, and I shall continue to tell people who
mistakenly come here for answers to their dotnet questions about the
Micro$oft lies that have brought them here.

Mike

From: Dee Earley on
On 03/08/2010 04:58, Tom Shelton wrote:
> After serious thinking Dr Nancy's Sweetie wrote :
>> Aside from zipping up the entire tree, does anyone know of a way in
>> VB2008 to have it store all the information about a form in one file,
>> so as to simplify sharing small projects?
>
> Hmmm... While I can't imagine sending a single form without the entire
> project - it's not that difficult. You simply open the folder and grab
> the 2 or 3 files that make up a typical form, zip, and send.
>
> For instance, if for a form named MyForm will typically be broken down
> into the followin 3 files
>
> MyForm.vb
> MyForm.Designer.vb
> MyForm.resx
>
> The MyForm.vb contains user code, where as MyForm.Designer.vb contains
> the code generated by the windows forms designer. The resx file is your
> resources (this is some what akin to the .frx file from VB.CLASSIC).

If you really want them as a single code file, you can largely copy the
MyForm.Designer.vb contents into the MyForm.vb file (Namespace/class
headers may need adjusting at the join)

I'm not sure how happy the designer will be with this though.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems