From: Mike Williams on
"Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton(a)comcast.invalid> wrote in message

> Then kill file me and all is well

That's a lie for a start. Killfiling you would not make "all well", because
you would still continue your evangelistic dotnet trolling activities here.
All would NOT be well.

> or continue with your childish tirades.

Whatever. You call them childish tirades, I call them appropriate responses
to your trolling activities, and I call your own dotnet evangelist trolling
of this group a childish activity.

> Either way, makes no difference to me.

That is a lie as well, because it obviously does make a difference to you,
or you would not continue responding to me in your attempts to defend your
trolling. You are enjoying your troll activities, that is clear to see, and
you have no intention of stopping them whether I killfile you or not.

I think you need to grow up, Mr Shelton.

Mike

From: RW on
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 01:55:29 -0600, Tom Shelton
<tom_shelton(a)comcast.invalid> wrote:

>And? To be honest, I never saw an official statement that said that
>only VB.CLASSIC could be discussed on the
>microsoft.public.vb.general.dicussion group. I think most people were
>just letting you cry-babies have your way... LOL.

No "official" statement to be sure, but there were frequent occasions
when a MS employee would respond and point the OP to the dotnet groups
as a "better" (i.e., more appropriate) place to post dotnet questions.
So while MS never explicitly forbade dotnet questions in m.p.v.g.d it
can be said the practice was frequently "officially" discouraged.

Not taking sides in this; just clarifying your point about no official
statement.

RW
From: Mayayana on
| - I don't think that VB.net has developed from VB.classic

| I agree with Tom in that the charta of this group does >>not<< exclude
| VB.net.

That doesn't make sense. If VB.Net is not
VB then it doesn't belong here. It's not just
a matter of people resenting Microsoft's lies.
It's simple common sense. They're two different
languages, two different tools, two different
IDEs, different strengths, different uses.

VB.Net people are free to continue
accessing their group via non-MS servers, or
to use the forums. Nothing has changed in
that sense. So why the change of heart? It would
be best for everyone involved if VB.Net people
were just redirected, in a civil manner, with
some sort of generic blurb about their options.
Nothing good can come of starting a tradition
of discusing two dissimilar things, with similar
names, in one group.

For the OP: Microsoft is closing down their Usenet
server. If you want to continue to use Usenet, the
VB.Net group is here:

microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb

This is one of several free servers you can use to access
the group:

http://eternal-september.org/

If you want to use the MS web forums, as Microsoft
would like you to do, see here for your options:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories

From: Tom Shelton on
Mayayana brought next idea :
>> - I don't think that VB.net has developed from VB.classic
>
>> I agree with Tom in that the charta of this group does >>not<< exclude
>> VB.net.
>
> That doesn't make sense. If VB.Net is not
> VB then it doesn't belong here.

That would be true if it were not VB - but it is. Like it or not.

Just as in the old days, posters need to specify what version they are
using so that they can get the appropriate answers to their questions.

> It's not just
> a matter of people resenting Microsoft's lies.
> It's simple common sense. They're two different
> languages, two different tools, two different
> IDEs, different strengths, different uses.

And? This groups charter specifically mentions VB-Dos, VB for windows,
and VBA as being on topic here. All different dialects, ides, tools,
and uses....

> VB.Net people are free to continue
> accessing their group via non-MS servers, or
> to use the forums.

Or to access this group - in the comp.lang.* hiearchy.

> Nothing has changed in
> that sense. So why the change of heart? It would
> be best for everyone involved if VB.Net people
> were just redirected, in a civil manner, with
> some sort of generic blurb about their options.
> Nothing good can come of starting a tradition
> of discusing two dissimilar things, with similar
> names, in one group.

Feel free to do that - but be prepared to be ignored. This worked on
the ms groups because there was a specific place for vb.net. That
isn't so outside of the ms groups.

> For the OP: Microsoft is closing down their Usenet
> server. If you want to continue to use Usenet, the
> VB.Net group is here:

To the OP - this poster is an idiot who does not understand usnet.
This group is perfectly relevant UNTIL either the charter is changed or
version specific groups are formed in the comp.lang.* hiearchy.

Feel free to post all your VB.NET questions here and tell a friend.

--
Tom Shelton

From: Thorsten Albers on
Mayayana <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> schrieb im Beitrag
<i3abk9$o6m$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>...
> That doesn't make sense. If VB.Net is not
> VB then it doesn't belong here. It's not just
> a matter of people resenting Microsoft's lies.
> It's simple common sense. They're two different
> languages, two different tools, two different
> IDEs, different strengths, different uses.
>
> VB.Net people are free to continue
> accessing their group via non-MS servers, or
> to use the forums. Nothing has changed in
> that sense. So why the change of heart? It would
> be best for everyone involved if VB.Net people
> were just redirected, in a civil manner, with
> some sort of generic blurb about their options.
> Nothing good can come of starting a tradition
> of discusing two dissimilar things, with similar
> names, in one group.

big8 groups usually are created to discuss subjects and not applications
(there may be a few exceptions). This group is for discussions on the
subject "MS Visual Basic" and is according to its charta not restricted to
certain versions of "MS Visual Basic". Although there is no closer relation
between VB.classic (VB <= 6) and VB.net both are versions of "MS Visual
Basic", and both are covered by the subject "MS Visual Basic".
The regulars of the dc.basic.visual.* groups have failed to update the
group chartas at the time VB.net was introduced, or to split the groups
into VB.classic and VB.net groups - obviously because there was no need of
it due to that the MS groups were available. Now, that the MS groups have
been or will be closed the need is there, and the regulars of these groups
should make up leeway.

--
Thorsten Albers

albers (a) uni-freiburg.de