From: Dr Nancy's Sweetie on

For most small projects, in VB6 and earlier, you could just email
someone the form file, and VB would open it and away you go.

I've recently been shifted to VB2008, which I find is full of
needless complications. One of them is that you can't just send a
form file: it appears that the information which used to be stored
in the form file is now split across several different files, for
no reason that makes the least sense to me.

Aside from zipping up the entire tree, does anyone know of a way in
VB2008 to have it store all the information about a form in one file,
so as to simplify sharing small projects?

Darren Provine ! kilroy(a)elvis.rowan.edu ! http://www.rowan.edu/~kilroy
"I use not only all the brains I have, but all those I can borrow as
well." -- Woodrow Wilson
From: Bob Butler on

"Dr Nancy's Sweetie" <kilroy(a)elvis.rowan.edu> wrote in message

> For most small projects, in VB6 and earlier, you could just email
> someone the form file, and VB would open it and away you go.
>
> I've recently been shifted to VB2008, which I find is full of
> needless complications.

As you've seen, VB 2008 is not the same as "classic" VB versions 6 and
earlier. This group is for the older VB so you need to find a dotnet forum
to ask questions about VB.Net.

From: Mike Williams on
"Dr Nancy's Sweetie" <kilroy(a)elvis.rowan.edu> wrote in message

> For most small projects, in VB6 and earlier, you could just
> email someone the form file, and VB would open it and away
> you go. I've recently been shifted to VB2008, which I find is
> full of needless complications. One of them is that you can't
> just send a form file: it appears that the information which used
> to be stored in the form file is now split across several different
> files, for no reason that makes the least sense to me.

As you have discovered, VB2008 is not really Visual Basic at all. It is in
fact a totally different development tool using a completely different
programming paradigm. Micro$oft dishonestly gave the original version of it
the name Visual Basic in order to pretend that it is the next version of
VB6, which in fact it is not, and they peppered it with various VB6
programming constructs in order to complete the disguise.

The names "VB" and "Visual Basic" in VB2008 are in fact a dishonest sales
gimmick or, more accurately, a deliberate lie, in what has so far been a
fairly successful (but dishonest) attempt to improve Micro$oft's profits.
What you are using is an imposter. That in itself is not necessarily a bad
thing, I mean lots of people use the imposter and some of them are happy
with it, but the dishonesty that goes with it is very definitely bad.

Fortunately, the Microsoft technical people (being not nearly so dishonest
as the Microsoft sales people who gave it the dishonest the name) realised
that it was a completely different thing and they therefore almost
immediately created a completely new and completely different newsgroup for
it on Micro$oft's own news servers. If you want answers to questions
relating to the imposter then you should post them to one of the imposter's
own newsgroups.

You might have a problem finding a real newsgroup for VB2008 though, at
least one that is reasonably well attended, because Micro$oft are in the
process of closing down their own newsgroups, having decided that there is
more profit in attempting to coerce you into using one of their new fangled
and heavily policed "forums", where you will be able to post pretty pictures
of your question and swap pictures with other people and where you will be
allowed to stay so long as you say only nice things about Micro$oft.
Apparently there is some advertising revenue in that, and the heavy policing
will prevent people from telling the truth about Micro$oft's products. I'm
not sure how you can get to one of those pretty and heavily policed
Micro$oft forums, but you should be able to Google it.

Mike

From: Kevin Provance on
:
: For most small projects, in VB6 and earlier, you could just email
: someone the form file, and VB would open it and away you go.
:
: I've recently been shifted to VB2008, which I find is full of
: needless complications. One of them is that you can't just send a
: form file: it appears that the information which used to be stored
: in the form file is now split across several different files, for
: no reason that makes the least sense to me.
:
: Aside from zipping up the entire tree, does anyone know of a way in
: VB2008 to have it store all the information about a form in one file,
: so as to simplify sharing small projects?

LMAO!!!

Aww man, MSFT just pwned you, big time.

From: Tom Shelton on
on 8/2/2010, Bob Butler supposed :
> "Dr Nancy's Sweetie" <kilroy(a)elvis.rowan.edu> wrote in message
>>
>> For most small projects, in VB6 and earlier, you could just email
>> someone the form file, and VB would open it and away you go.
>>
>> I've recently been shifted to VB2008, which I find is full of
>> needless complications.
>
> As you've seen, VB 2008 is not the same as "classic" VB versions 6 and
> earlier. This group is for the older VB so you need to find a dotnet forum
> to ask questions about VB.Net.

I advise you and the other .NOTTERS to actually read the charter of
this group. It DOES NOT limit this group to classic VB in anyway -
this is a made up rule by self appointed moderators (in a group
specifically created as unmoderated). I suggest that you get the
charter changed if you do not want VB2008 questions here.

You could get away with on the MS groups, where the groups were
specifically split - but this is not an ms sponsored group. This is a
real live public newsgroup with a charter that specifically allows
discussion of all versions of Visual Basic.

--
Tom Shelton