From: Hojo Norem on
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 11:16:57 -0600, Tom Shelton wrote:

> Hojo Norem formulated the question :
>> On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 07:53:00 -0600, Tom Shelton wrote:
>>
>>> Hojo Norem expressed precisely :
>>>>
>> <KA-SNIP>
>> Wow. You must use some shitty newsserver then because I just checked mine,
>> one supplied by my ISP, and my newsreader sees it there plain as day... with
>> posts no older than about 30 mins (of me posting this one). Certainly
>> active.
>>
>> I suggest you find yourself a new newsserver or report to your current on e
>> that is has a problem with it's group retention (or something like that).
>
> I did not say I could not see it. I said it is becomming much less
> active. And with the state of usnet service in the *US*, and the
> apparent ignorance of the current usnet generation that their are
> alternative services, it is exactly as I suspected. Most major *US*
> ISP's do not supply usnet access anymore - not since 2008. Those that
> do, are limiting access to big8 only.

Awww, sucks to live in the US eh?
http://www.usenettools.net/ISP.htm

> As evidence - almost every thread in the last few days on the ms group
> has had the same op....

While that is true /to a point/ (out of the first 15 threads, 6 have the
same OP) what I can see there is a user posting and *getting replies*. So
that group seems to have a kind of Q&A thing going. Does wonders for a
group's SNR, but not for it's activity.

--
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' -
they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.
From: Kevin Provance on

"Dee Earley" <dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote in message
: On 04/08/2010 17:53, Kevin Provance wrote:
: > You know why the combination works in Dee's community (which I've
visited on
: > several occasions), one, it's smaller than Usenet, and two it's
moderated.
: > I personally believe Dee is not biased one way or the other, and that's
why
: > what works for them works.
:
: I am god (of my small corner :)

Indeed! Everytime I stop by, you are away. :P

From: Thorsten Albers on
Mike Williams <Mike(a)WhiskyAndCoke.com> schrieb im Beitrag
<i3c5mg$lce$1(a)speranza.aioe.org>...
> You've mentioned only two of the possibilities there, Thorsten, and you
have
> forgotten the main one, which is to persuade Micro$oft to stop telling
lies
> about their products and to stop giving things totally inappropriate and
> dishonestly crafted names simply because consumer law regarding software
is
> over a quarter of a century out of date, allowing them to get away with
> their marketing lies. One day all this will change (I think the EU are
> working on it now), but sadly, at the moment, all we can do is ask
Micro$oft
> to stop lying, we cannot currently force them to stop. But I think we
should
> at least ask them. I have done so. Why don't you do the same?

Why should I? For me it really isn't a problem that VB.net shares the VB
with VB.classic and never has been one. And I really can't see any reason
why MS shouldn't call VB.net VB.net. It is an implementation of their
Visual Basic, and 'net' clearly specifies that it is an implementation for
the MS .NET framework. The heavy incompatibilities between VB.classic and
VB.net are not caused by the Visual Basic part but by the framework on
which the individual Visual Basic implementation depends (VB runtime versus
NET framework).

Presumably your objections to VB.net are not caused by VB.net itself but by
the fact that MS did abandon VB.classic completely after VB.net was
released. I do understand this and feel the same, but IMHO this
disappointment isn't a good base to fight some kind of a war against those
who are using VB.net.

--
Thorsten Albers

albers (a) uni-freiburg.de

From: Thorsten Albers on
Kevin Provance <k(a)p.c> schrieb im Beitrag
<i3c5v2$20b$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>...
> Unfortunatly, the men in charge of the charter and the FAQ are dead or
have
> long disappeared and no successor was named...so getting some resolution
on
> this will take some time.

There isn't anyone who is in charge of the charta. It was part of the RfD
and CfV by which the group was established. It can be changed at any time
by anyone who is willing to start a RfD+CfV. The only thing necessary is
that the big8 moderators accept the RfD and that a majority of users gives
its "Yes" to the CfV.

> But as I said before,
> they don't really want this group, they want the right to try and stomp
the
> classic community out, as directed by their puppet string puller, MSFT.
> Once the charter is updated or a new group is established, it's going to
> clip their wings in a big way.

Sorry, but until now I have read only messages contributed by VB.classic
users trying to stom the VB.net users out, not the other way round.
And I really can't understand this hatred of VB.net users: A lot of them
are using both VB.classic and VB.net. A lot of them are using VB.net not
because they like it so much but because they are forced to use it by their
company or customers. And a lot of them even don't know that there exists a
'Visual Basic' which is based on a different technology because they
started coding with VB.net at a time VB.classic wasn't available anymore
and was abandoned by MS.
If there is somebody to blame it is MS and not the VB.net users, or at
least not all of them.

> And you can bet your bottom dollar I'm going to be heavily involved in
> whatever is best for the classic vb community, even if I have to rewrite
the
> charter and/or the FAQ myself.
>
> All in all, I'd prefer a new group for classic vb, specifically so the
dot
> next heads can be slapped down as needed when the attempt their typical
> invasion.

So, start a RfD/CfV like we did in de.*.

> Dee's suggestion, while a great
> one about tagging the questions with the language won't work *here*. The

> charter and the FAQ do not state or specify it, and those wandering
through
> don't know to do it, and trolls from the next community will ignore it to

> start trouble, so it's a moot suggestion.

Tagging isn't part of the big8 rules but it is used by groups all over the
usenet. Certainly it is not the solution of the problem but a start to
solve it especially since it allows to track down the individual traffic.

--
Thorsten Albers

albers (a) uni-freiburg.de

From: Mayayana on

| There just isn't a decent replacement. For every language that possess
| one or more of those features, it fails, and often dramatically
| elsewhere.

If it were me I think I'd use javascript. As much
as I don't especially like C syntax, JS can be used
to make useful utilities with Windows Script Host.
It's also the lingua franca of the Web. For people
who are never going to follow up, anyway, it seems
rather pointless to teach a Java clone for writing
software. The students will never have a chance to
see how it could be useful to them personally.