From: Tom Shelton on
Dr Nancy's Sweetie explained on 8/4/2010 :
> a form into one file, "Tom Shelton <tom_shelton(a)comcast.invalid>" wrote:
>
>> Hmmm... While I can't imagine sending a single form without the entire
>> project - it's not that difficult. You simply open the folder and grab
>> the 2 or 3 files that make up a typical form, zip, and send.
>
> I use VB to teach "Introduction to Programming", a course with no
> prereqs except basic algebra and enough computer skills to send email
> and play minesweeper. It gets taken by art history majors and the like,
> whose natural talents lean in other directions.
>
> So, if they're stuck, it's easy to say "email the form as an
> attachment", which in VB6 (and earlier) VB would just open as part of a
> sort of default project. And I could put a link to a form on a website
> which they could click, one file, no troubles. Everything we do until
> the very end of the semester is a one-form programming project, and so
> sending single form files around saved a lot of complication.
>
> I certainly appreciate that VB needed a bit more discipline in its
> design, but for *my* purposes it seems they took a good Intro language
> and pasted a lot of needless stuff on it to make it into a language
> suitable for very large programming projects. But there were already
> many languages suitable for large programming projects, and not many
> suitable for teaching a one-semester intro class to non-technical
> people.
>
> Anyway, thanks for your helpful answer; it's far and away the most
> useful reply I've gotten on Usenet in quite some time.
>

> Darren Provine ! kilroy(a)elvis.rowan.edu ! http://www.rowan.edu/~kilroy
> "To summarize, then: 'Language change bad, Hell in a Handbasket, Kids
> These Days, Barbarians at the Gate, Boo-Hoo.' Does that about cover
> it?" -- Miranda Cornielle

Cool... To be honest, in the situation you describe - I think I might
use one of the dynamic languages, such as ruby or python :) Much more
forgiving and pretty simple to learn. Also, you see your results right
awy. They aren't graphcical - but there are graphical tool kits
available for at least python.

Just a thought... :)

--
Tom Shelton

From: Mayayana on

| So, since the ms groups are becomming a not so valid option on usnet -
| this is the only place in the usnet hiearchy left. If and when the
| charter is changed or language specific groups are in place... Here we
| are.

If you're going to persist with this obsession,
you know what's going to happen? This group
will become the group for DotNetters to battle
over territory and for VBers to publicly debunk
Microsoft's misinformation. I don't think that even
the best intentions (if indeed any of us has the best
intentions :) can prevent that.

The best we could hope for is for you and other
DotNetters to stop trying to win turf, with VBers
agreeing to redirect .Net questions politely. You've
been getting all worked up over the past few days
here, defending your right to discuss .Net. Yet you
never even bothered to tell the OP about the other
options open to him.

From: Tom Shelton on
After serious thinking Mayayana wrote :

>> So, since the ms groups are becomming a not so valid option on usnet -
>> this is the only place in the usnet hiearchy left. If and when the
>> charter is changed or language specific groups are in place... Here we
>> are.
>>

> If you're going to persist with this obsession,
> you know what's going to happen? This group
> will become the group for DotNetters to battle
> over territory and for VBers to publicly debunk
> Microsoft's misinformation.

I have yet to see you credibly debunk anything... But, you can keep
trying. As this is the catch all group - version difference dicussions
are on topic here as well as technical questions.

>I don't think that even
> the best intentions (if indeed any of us has the best
> intentions :) can prevent that.

Again, this is a misc group - so, those type of dicussions are not
neccissarily off topic. Hopefully, they could be more civil then they
have been of late...

> The best we could hope for is for you and other
> DotNetters to stop trying to win turf, with VBers
> agreeing to redirect .Net questions politely. You've
> been getting all worked up over the past few days
> here, defending your right to discuss .Net.

There is no reason that discussions of both version can not co-exist.
Discussions of mulitiple versions of VB, VBA, etc have existed for a
long time with out issue. It's simply a matter of being respectful and
reminding op's to specify the version of vb that their question relates
to.

When the VB6'rs were being directed to the ms vb.net web forums, I was
all for combining that group. There is no reason that they can't
co-exist.

> Yet you
> never even bothered to tell the OP about the other
> options open to him.

What usnet alternative is there really? While the MS groups do
continue to be carried by some providers, it is making a huge
difference to the traffic that MS dropped them.

So, unless you want eveyone moves to the web forums... I do use the
web forum, but I very much prefer usnet. And, I know there are others
that feel the same.

--
Tom Shelton

From: ralph on
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 12:51:43 +0000 (UTC), Dr Nancy's Sweetie
<kilroy(a)elvis.rowan.edu> wrote:

>a form into one file, "Tom Shelton <tom_shelton(a)comcast.invalid>" wrote:
>
>> Hmmm... While I can't imagine sending a single form without the entire
>> project - it's not that difficult. You simply open the folder and grab
>> the 2 or 3 files that make up a typical form, zip, and send.
>
>I use VB to teach "Introduction to Programming", a course with no
>prereqs except basic algebra and enough computer skills to send email
>and play minesweeper. It gets taken by art history majors and the like,
>whose natural talents lean in other directions.
>
>So, if they're stuck, it's easy to say "email the form as an
>attachment", which in VB6 (and earlier) VB would just open as part of a
>sort of default project. And I could put a link to a form on a website
>which they could click, one file, no troubles. Everything we do until
>the very end of the semester is a one-form programming project, and so
>sending single form files around saved a lot of complication.
>
>I certainly appreciate that VB needed a bit more discipline in its
>design, but for *my* purposes it seems they took a good Intro language
>and pasted a lot of needless stuff on it to make it into a language
>suitable for very large programming projects. But there were already
>many languages suitable for large programming projects, and not many
>suitable for teaching a one-semester intro class to non-technical
>people.

That is an interesting niche, and one in which VB served admirally.

A good beginning language is one that provides:
1) A simple editor, front-end that is easy to use and understand.
2) Simple syntax, and intuitive semanatics
3) Can provide quick simple tools.
3) Can be expanded for students who want to go on to bigger and
better.
4) Lots of outside reference material, books, articles, help
5) Can be used with other products.

There just isn't a decent replacement. For every language that possess
one or more of those features, it fails, and often dramatically
elsewhere.

All success in the hunt. <g>

-ralph
From: Mike Williams on
"Thorsten Albers" <albersSKIP(a)THISuni-freiburg.de> wrote in message

> If any participants in this group don't want VB.classic
> and VB.net to be discussed together in this group, they
> have to try either to throw VB.net out of this group or
> to get a group of their own.

You've mentioned only two of the possibilities there, Thorsten, and you have
forgotten the main one, which is to persuade Micro$oft to stop telling lies
about their products and to stop giving things totally inappropriate and
dishonestly crafted names simply because consumer law regarding software is
over a quarter of a century out of date, allowing them to get away with
their marketing lies. One day all this will change (I think the EU are
working on it now), but sadly, at the moment, all we can do is ask Micro$oft
to stop lying, we cannot currently force them to stop. But I think we should
at least ask them. I have done so. Why don't you do the same?

Mike