From: Mayayana on

| big8 groups usually are created to discuss subjects and not applications
| (there may be a few exceptions). This group is for discussions on the
| subject "MS Visual Basic" and is according to its charta not restricted to
| certain versions of "MS Visual Basic". Although there is no closer
relation
| between VB.classic (VB <= 6) and VB.net both are versions of "MS Visual
| Basic", and both are covered by the subject "MS Visual Basic".
| The regulars of the dc.basic.visual.* groups have failed to update the
| group chartas at the time VB.net was introduced, or to split the groups
| into VB.classic and VB.net groups - obviously because there was no need of
| it due to that the MS groups were available. Now, that the MS groups have
| been or will be closed the need is there, and the regulars of these groups
| should make up leeway.

This is the same thing you just said and it
makes no sense. You didn't answer that
criticism. VB.Net is NOT VB. That's common
sense to anyone outside the MS marketing
dept. Splitting hairs about the language of
the charter is just a lot of hot air to no purpose.

And the groups are NOT closing down,
except on the MS server. As I understand it,
the VB.Net group has already been dropped
by MS. But that group had 3 new threads today, 2
yesterday, and 4 or 5 on Sunday. It's far more
active than this group is. Plus VB.Net has the
MS forums, which VB does not have. So where's
the need?

It may turn out that more DotNetters come here
while the VBers dwindle and lose interest. I could
live with that if that's the way it works out. But
pretending that both can work out of one group
is nonsense. It will just result in confusion and
arguments.

From: Tom Shelton on
Mayayana submitted this idea :

>> big8 groups usually are created to discuss subjects and not applications
>> (there may be a few exceptions). This group is for discussions on the
>> subject "MS Visual Basic" and is according to its charta not restricted to
>> certain versions of "MS Visual Basic". Although there is no closer relation
>> between VB.classic (VB <= 6) and VB.net both are versions of "MS Visual
>> Basic", and both are covered by the subject "MS Visual Basic".
>> The regulars of the dc.basic.visual.* groups have failed to update the
>> group chartas at the time VB.net was introduced, or to split the groups
>> into VB.classic and VB.net groups - obviously because there was no need of
>> it due to that the MS groups were available. Now, that the MS groups have
>> been or will be closed the need is there, and the regulars of these groups
>> should make up leeway.
>>

> This is the same thing you just said and it
> makes no sense. You didn't answer that
> criticism. VB.Net is NOT VB. That's common
> sense to anyone outside the MS marketing
> dept. Splitting hairs about the language of
> the charter is just a lot of hot air to no purpose.
>
> And the groups are NOT closing down,
> except on the MS server. As I understand it,
> the VB.Net group has already been dropped
> by MS. But that group had 3 new threads today, 2
> yesterday, and 4 or 5 on Sunday. It's far more
> active than this group is. Plus VB.Net has the
> MS forums, which VB does not have. So where's
> the need?
>
> It may turn out that more DotNetters come here
> while the VBers dwindle and lose interest. I could
> live with that if that's the way it works out. But
> pretending that both can work out of one group
> is nonsense. It will just result in confusion and
> arguments.

Only if you start them with your non-sense.

Get it through your .NOTTER skull - Microsoft Visual Basic is what
Microsoft says it is... See it even has their name on it. When it says
Mayayana Visual Basic - then you can decide what it is or is not.

--
Tom Shelton

From: Dee Earley on
On 04/08/2010 01:20, Mayayana wrote:
> Nothing good can come of starting a tradition
> of discusing two dissimilar things, with similar
> names, in one group.

I've done it for years in my IRC channel and wiki.
As long as we know which is being discussed, there is no problem.
If it is unclear, we ask.

There are people in there that don't like or use .net so they just don't
answer .net questions.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
From: Thorsten Albers on
Mayayana <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> schrieb im Beitrag
<i3al65$a8d$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>...
> This is the same thing you just said and it
> makes no sense. You didn't answer that
> criticism. VB.Net is NOT VB. That's common
> sense to anyone outside the MS marketing
> dept. Splitting hairs about the language of
> the charter is just a lot of hot air to no purpose.

The charta, and >>only the charta<< specifies what is on-topic in an
unmoderated group. Neither the participants in this group nor the big8
moderators may decide what is on-topic in this group, only the charta which
has been established by a democratic polling act in the prescribed way
(RfD, CfV).
And for this it doesn't matter that VB.classic and VB.net are nearly
incompatible. VB.classic is a 'Visual Basic' and VB.net is a 'Visual
Basic', and 'Visual Basic' is on-topic in this group. Sorry, this is not
hair splitting but how the usenet works.

If any participants in this group don't want VB.classic and VB.net to be
discussed together in this group, they have to try either to throw VB.net
out of this group or to get a group of their own. But this can be done only
in the prescribed way by a democratic polling act (RFD, CfV) - and not by
telling other participants "We don't want you in here".

> And the groups are NOT closing down,
> except on the MS server. As I understand it,
> the VB.Net group has already been dropped
> by MS. But that group had 3 new threads today, 2
> yesterday, and 4 or 5 on Sunday. It's far more
> active than this group is.

The old MS newsgroups are no alternative to the cl.basic.visual.* groups
because they are kept on some newsservers only as long as there is a
certain amount of traffic, they may be removed at any time. Primarily they
are kept to give the participants the opporunity to communicate infos on
how and where participants can discuss the group's topic in the future.

> Plus VB.Net has the
> MS forums, which VB does not have. So where's
> the need?

Anything outside of the big8 doesn't matter. If somebody want an english MS
web forum to be established for VB.classic he has to ask MS to do so. A
german MS web forum for VB.classic has been established by MS on request of
Thorsten Doerfler, MVP.

> It may turn out that more DotNetters come here
> while the VBers dwindle and lose interest. I could
> live with that if that's the way it works out. But
> pretending that both can work out of one group
> is nonsense. It will just result in confusion and
> arguments.

To make things clear for a RfD/CfV the common way is tagging. The subject
of any contribution to this group should be preceeded by a character
sequence giving the 'Visual Basic' technology used by the contributor.
E.g.:
'[VB] I have a question'
'[VB6] I have a question'
'[VBC] I have a question'
'[VBClassic] I have a question'
'[VBNET] I have a question'
'[VB2008] I have a question'
Tagging makes it easy for the participants to ignore contributions they are
not interested in (some newsreaders even allow filtering of messages). And
tagging makes it easier to count the traffic. The traffic can be used in a
later RfD to argue for a separate group either for VB.classic or VB.net.

What I am talking about here is partly based on my experiences with the
german usenet hierarchy de.* which is organized almost the same way like
the big8. In de.* there doesn't exist a group for 'Visual Basic'. Some
weeks ago we (Ingo Moch and I) have started a RfD to establish a VB.classic
(only!) group there in order to move microsoft.public.de.vb to de.*
(de.comp.lang.basic.vbclassic, or de.comp.lang.vbclassic). The discussion
on the 2. RfD has almost been finished, the next step will be the 1. CfV.

--
Thorsten Albers

albers (a) uni-freiburg.de
From: Dr Nancy's Sweetie on
a form into one file, "Tom Shelton <tom_shelton(a)comcast.invalid>" wrote:

> Hmmm... While I can't imagine sending a single form without the entire
> project - it's not that difficult. You simply open the folder and grab
> the 2 or 3 files that make up a typical form, zip, and send.

I use VB to teach "Introduction to Programming", a course with no
prereqs except basic algebra and enough computer skills to send email
and play minesweeper. It gets taken by art history majors and the like,
whose natural talents lean in other directions.

So, if they're stuck, it's easy to say "email the form as an
attachment", which in VB6 (and earlier) VB would just open as part of a
sort of default project. And I could put a link to a form on a website
which they could click, one file, no troubles. Everything we do until
the very end of the semester is a one-form programming project, and so
sending single form files around saved a lot of complication.

I certainly appreciate that VB needed a bit more discipline in its
design, but for *my* purposes it seems they took a good Intro language
and pasted a lot of needless stuff on it to make it into a language
suitable for very large programming projects. But there were already
many languages suitable for large programming projects, and not many
suitable for teaching a one-semester intro class to non-technical
people.

Anyway, thanks for your helpful answer; it's far and away the most
useful reply I've gotten on Usenet in quite some time.

Darren Provine ! kilroy(a)elvis.rowan.edu ! http://www.rowan.edu/~kilroy
"To summarize, then: 'Language change bad, Hell in a Handbasket, Kids
These Days, Barbarians at the Gate, Boo-Hoo.' Does that about cover
it?" -- Miranda Cornielle