From: Ron Gibson on
On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 03:21:43 -0500, Teilhard Knight wrote:

>> And support from the Mandrake community has been unbeatable in my
>> experience.

> Your experience is more or less the same as mine. I go and try distros and
> all I get is a bunch of headaches. Although I have tried seriously only
> Fedora and Debian, I have never tried Red Hat nor Suse. I have installed
> distros based in the "main" ones, like Kumbutu, and Unbutu, or some others
> not very important. As I decided to go wireless, the only distro I have ever
> been able to configure successfully is Mandrake and Mandriva ( LE2005). I
> find it much advanced in wireless support than Fedora or Debian.

Well it's no secret that wireless is an ongoing issue for many people as
is USB in some cases.

> But what the heck, computers and OSs are my hobby, and I am nearly retired,
> so, it is all amusement for me.

Yep, me too. Me my base is Slackware which is much more BSD like so
anything SystemV based gives me headaches. But the issues I encounter
are in fact a challenge that can be resolved. OTOH nothing easier to
configure than good ol' cabled LAN. For me my cables work just fine and
I've taken time to run the wiring so it's convenient. So in a sense
that's an issue I chosen to avoid.

> On the other hand, I agree with you that support from the Mandriva Community
> is excellent.

Yes it is.
From: Teilhard Knight on
Ron Gibson wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 03:21:43 -0500, Teilhard Knight wrote:
>
>>> And support from the Mandrake community has been unbeatable in my
>>> experience.
>
>> Your experience is more or less the same as mine. I go and try
>> distros and all I get is a bunch of headaches. Although I have tried
>> seriously only Fedora and Debian, I have never tried Red Hat nor
>> Suse. I have installed distros based in the "main" ones, like
>> Kumbutu, and Unbutu, or some others not very important. As I decided
>> to go wireless, the only distro I have ever been able to configure
>> successfully is Mandrake and Mandriva ( LE2005). I find it much
>> advanced in wireless support than Fedora or Debian.
>
> Well it's no secret that wireless is an ongoing issue for many people
> as is USB in some cases.

Not in Mandrake/Mandriva. They have an excellent USB and wireless support.
And I am talking from version 9.0 to version 10.2 which is the current one,
That's one of the reasons I like this distro. I have never had the same kind
of support from any other distro I have tried.

>> But what the heck, computers and OSs are my hobby, and I am nearly
>> retired, so, it is all amusement for me.
>
> Yep, me too. Me my base is Slackware which is much more BSD like so
> anything SystemV based gives me headaches. But the issues I encounter
> are in fact a challenge that can be resolved. OTOH nothing easier to
> configure than good ol' cabled LAN. For me my cables work just fine
> and I've taken time to run the wiring so it's convenient. So in a
> sense that's an issue I chosen to avoid.
<snip>

I have had some experience with FreeBSD myself, and I have liked it so far.
Problem there is that one has to compile our own kernel in order to have
full functionality. But the advantage of that FreeBSD is that when your
kernels compiles all right you are almost certain you have your kernel
ready, booting all right and all.

Teilhard.

From: Ron Gibson on
On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 01:56:01 -0500, Teilhard Knight wrote:

>> Well it's no secret that wireless is an ongoing issue for many people
>> as is USB in some cases.

> Not in Mandrake/Mandriva. They have an excellent USB and wireless support.
> And I am talking from version 9.0 to version 10.2 which is the current one,
> That's one of the reasons I like this distro. I have never had the same kind
> of support from any other distro I have tried.

Yes I understand with the latest stock release all is pretty good there.
but you should have seen the people hollering around about kernel 2.6.3
time.

You might could compare your problems in other areas with what is being
used under MDK. I do this a lot. I see a MDK trick and employ it in
another distro or vice versa.

>> Yep, me too. Me my base is Slackware which is much more BSD like so
>> anything SystemV based gives me headaches. But the issues I encounter
>> are in fact a challenge that can be resolved. OTOH nothing easier to

> I have had some experience with FreeBSD myself, and I have liked it so
> far. Problem there is that one has to compile our own kernel in order
> to have full functionality. But the advantage of that FreeBSD is that
> when your kernels compiles all right you are almost certain you have
> your kernel ready, booting all right and all.

I have to say I really admire FreeBSD and of course I was right at home
with the rc style scripting. X and KDE was just like any other linux
desktop.

Damn they use some arcane naming systems for stuff but it is most
definitely (on my machine) absolutely rock solid. It's a darn shame they
don't get more apps ported to them. I found everything I needed except
TVTime. I never got around to tackling a kernel compile but as reported
by you and others it's a bit tougher I've been told.

From: Teilhard Knight on
Ron Gibson wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 01:56:01 -0500, Teilhard Knight wrote:
>
>>> Well it's no secret that wireless is an ongoing issue for many
>>> people as is USB in some cases.
>
>> Not in Mandrake/Mandriva. They have an excellent USB and wireless
>> support. And I am talking from version 9.0 to version 10.2 which is
>> the current one, That's one of the reasons I like this distro. I
>> have never had the same kind of support from any other distro I have
>> tried.
>
> Yes I understand with the latest stock release all is pretty good
> there. but you should have seen the people hollering around about
> kernel 2.6.3 time.
>
> You might could compare your problems in other areas with what is
> being used under MDK. I do this a lot. I see a MDK trick and employ
> it in another distro or vice versa.

Of course that's what I do. But I got frustrated trying to configure
wireless in Debian. In MDK you have a configuration file, but I have
searched for configuration files in Debian and I do not find them. I found
one file which is like a log file, registering the parameters of the eth0
dhcp connection each time a successful link is established.

>>> Yep, me too. Me my base is Slackware which is much more BSD like so
>>> anything SystemV based gives me headaches. But the issues I
>>> encounter are in fact a challenge that can be resolved. OTOH
>>> nothing easier to
>
>> I have had some experience with FreeBSD myself, and I have liked it
>> so
>> far. Problem there is that one has to compile our own kernel in order
>> to have full functionality. But the advantage of that FreeBSD is that
>> when your kernels compiles all right you are almost certain you have
>> your kernel ready, booting all right and all.
>
> I have to say I really admire FreeBSD and of course I was right at
> home with the rc style scripting. X and KDE was just like any other
> linux desktop.
>
> Damn they use some arcane naming systems for stuff but it is most
> definitely (on my machine) absolutely rock solid. It's a darn shame
> they don't get more apps ported to them. I found everything I needed
> except TVTime. I never got around to tackling a kernel compile but as
> reported by you and others it's a bit tougher I've been told.

Building a FreeBSD kernel is a bit complicated at first if you do not know
much about technicalities. For example, if you have a modern machine with
only PCI slots and disable ISA, you run into problems. You need ISA for
reasons obscure to me. Once you know all those "tricks" is fairly easy.

Teilhard.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: madwifi & ath_pci