From: Teilhard Knight on
Crashdamage wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:02:19 -0500, Teilhard Knight
> <teilhk(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Interesting what you say. Still, I have had so many bad experiences
>> trying to burn in Mandrake that I do not trust it anymore, I prefer
>> to go to Windows and use Nero. That's why I am sad Nero does not
>> support Mandrake. I am amazed why Mandriva is not more seriously
>> taken in the Linux world. Of all the distros I have tried it is the
>> most friendly in my opinion.
>
> Nero recently released a new version for Linux, just 2-3 weeks ago.
> Very nice, does about any burning chore you might need. I like it so
> well it's now replaced kb3 as my #1 burner for Linux.
>
> I used the Fedora rpm from Nero's website and it installed and runs
> just
> fine on my 10.1 box. You can download and try it free for 10 days,
> then
> just $19.95 U.S. for a license.
>
> http://www.nero.com/en/NeroLINUX.html
>
> And who says Mandrive isn't taken seriously...?

Glad Nero worked fine on Fedora. It is one of the supported distros, but I
need it for Mandrake, and it is not supported according to Nero's site.
That's why I say Mandriva is not taken seriously.

Teilhard.

From: Aragorn on
On Thursday 01 September 2005 22:06, Teilhard Knight stood up and spoke
the following words to the masses...:

> Aragorn wrote:
>> On Thursday 01 September 2005 21:35, Teilhard Knight stood up and
>> spoke the following words to the masses...:
>>
>>> By the way, what's the Vanilla kernel?
>>
>> A vanilla kernel is a kernel compiled from the source code from the
>> kernel developer team headed by Linus Torvalds and Andrew Morton.
>>
>> The kernels one can download from http://www.kernel.org are the
>> vanilla sources. This in contrast to the distribution-specific
>> kernels, which have been patched by the distro makers.
>>
>> ;-)
>
> Thank you for the info. Do you think I should try one of those kernels
> for Debian?

I don't see why not, if you feel like rolling your own. ;-) From my own
experiences and those of others, vanilla kernels are generally more
stable than distro-patched kernels.

Most distributors patch their kernels to get some kind of "enhanced
funcionality" or "extra security". The Mandriva-specific kernels for
instance all come with the /supermount/ patch.

Quite often however, the distro-specific patches result in a lesser
stable kernel, or a more bloated kernel, or a slower kernel, etc.

The reason why most distributors patch their kernels is simply that they
pick a specific kernel from kernel.org - usually the latest stable
kernel - and stick to that one for the further development of their
newest distro.

However, by the time their distro becomes production-ready, their kernel
is already outdated, in the sense that the newer vanilla kernel already
has the bugs properly fixed.

In the meantime, the distributions have already patched up their kernels
with those "extra functionality" patches and have made some (ususally
inadequate) attempts to fix the same bugs, and many of their
"enhancement" patches may even _cause_ instabilities.

Debian is also known not to feature the latest series of kernels but
rather to rely on time-proven software. If I recall correctly, then
the kernel that Debian considers to be stable at the moment is still a
2.2-generation kernel.

Good luck! ;-)

--
With kind regards,

*Aragorn*
(Registered Gnu/Linux user #223157)
From: Aragorn on
On Thursday 01 September 2005 22:29, I stood up and spoke to Teilhard...

.... and with my sincere apologies for the many typos. My videocard has
been acting up again today. I've already had to blindly reboot twice
this evening, the last time being while I was in the middle of replying
to your post.

Darn...! I'm really going to have to give this machine its upgrade (and
a thorough clean-out, because those intake fans are acting like a
vacuum cleaner)... :-/

From: Aragorn on
On Thursday 01 September 2005 22:12, Teilhard Knight stood up and spoke
the following words to the masses...:

> Glad Nero worked fine on Fedora. It is one of the supported distros,
> but I need it for Mandrake, and it is not supported according to
> Nero's site. That's why I say Mandriva is not taken seriously.

Sad but true... As far as I know, only four distributions are actually
taken seriously by proprietary software developers and/or hardware
manufacturers: RedHat, SuSE, Debian and Slackware.

And then we are supposed to be grateful... "Hey, what's the matter?
We're supporting Gnu/Linux, aren't we?"

The groundrule however in regards to proprietary software - excluding
driver modules! - is that if there is an /.rpm/ for RedHat or Fedora
Core, it will most likely install and run in Mandriva without much
hassle, _unless_ the proprietary software vendor clearly states that it
won't.

Don't use the SuSE /.rpm's/ though; SuSE uses different locations in the
directory tree to install its software and configuration files.

;-)

From: Jon Solberg on
Teilhard Knight said the following on 2005-09-01 22:12:
> Crashdamage wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:02:19 -0500, Teilhard Knight
>><teilhk(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>>Nero recently released a new version for Linux, just 2-3 weeks ago.
>>Very nice, does about any burning chore you might need. I like it so
>>well it's now replaced kb3 as my #1 burner for Linux.
>>
>>I used the Fedora rpm from Nero's website and it installed and runs
>>just
>>fine on my 10.1 box. You can download and try it free for 10 days,
>>then
>>just $19.95 U.S. for a license.
>>
>>http://www.nero.com/en/NeroLINUX.html
>>

> Glad Nero worked fine on Fedora. It is one of the supported distros, but I
> need it for Mandrake, and it is not supported according to Nero's site.

Nero for Linux works just fine on Mandriva. Not that I can see _why_ you
should want to use it, when there are far more capable burning software
like K3B and GnomeBaker/Toaster.

--
Jon Solberg (remove "nospam" from email address).
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last