From: Teilhard Knight on
"Ron Gibson" <rsgibson(a)verizon.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 13:09:53 -0500, Teilhard Knight wrote:
>
>> And in the case
>>> of Linux knowledge is most definitely power.
>
>> True, and knowledge is what I lack. I installed Debian in another machine
>> just for fun and to appreciate what I am dealing with and why Debian is
>> so a
>> popular distro among the geeks. It has been a source of headaches for me.
>
> Well much geekier would be gentoo, slackware, LFS, FreeBSD (not really a
> Linux).
>
>> I do that and I cannot compile. Then someone said I needed the kernel
>> headers (whatever they are) and to install a package and run "m-a
> prepare".
>> When I run this command I get the warning that I do not have a configured
>> kernel source. I ignored the warning and compiled my driver and
>> apparently
>> compiled all right. But the module didn't load in the kernel and refuse
>
> Well this is IMO an artifact of "package managed" distros.
>
> I really like a distro that allows me to install what I want and where I
> want to. I'd prefer to get the source package, read the docs on the
> website, meet the requirements of the package (libs, make, etc) and
> build it myself. This almost always works fine and the docs are complete
> enough.
>
> OTOH "packaged managed" distros often split packages, especially libs
> and headers, and/or modified a binary in a way that you don't know about
> which may cause problems.
>
> But actually as far as hardware goes it's much better to buy custom
> built or build it yourself and select known compatible components.
>
> Hell I couldn't figure out the instructions to install a wireless
> network on windoze which many champion as the OS even the brain dead
> would flourish with.
>
> You tried a compile and at this point in your learning that probably is
> a big leap. I'd reacess my needs and perhaps drop a few bucks on solving
> the hardware issue before I ran myself crazy trying to do things beyond
> my expertise.
>
> OTOH you can't learn to swim without getting wet.
>
> The question at this time is the water too cold to jump in now.

Perhaps you are right. But dropping some bucks to buy a compatible adapter
(mine is reported to be compatible with Linux, but not precisely with
Debian) would be too an easy solution to my problems. The water is too cold
now to swim, but IMO I have to try to swim nevertheless knowing the worst
that can happen is that someone has to get me out of the water before I
drawn. Now you are telling me most probably the problem is a packaged piece
of code, my next move is to look for the sources and build the damn kernel
source myself. Any advise to remove what I already have and get the tarball?
Learning is painful but once you get an objective in your mind you have to
finish it at any rate, after all I am doing all this just for fun and I do
not have someone asking when will I accomplish what need to be done. As you
see I am an stubborn person with a lot of time in his hands to waste it
doing things the hard way.

Teilhard.

From: Aragorn on
On Saturday 27 August 2005 20:09, Teilhard Knight stood up and spoke the
following words to the masses...:

> According to Mandrake I need the kernel source and two
> symbolic links (linux and build) to the kernel source. I do that and I
> cannot compile. Then someone said I needed the kernel headers
> (whatever they are) and to install a package and run "m-a prepare".
> When I run this command I get the warning that I do not have a
> configured kernel source. I ignored the warning and compiled my driver
> and apparently compiled all right. But the module didn't load in the
> kernel and refuse to load with "modprobe -v" (module not found). The
> only way to load it is with "insmod", and then I am as the beginning,
> with the OS not detecting my (USB) adapter, and I can do nothing.

Mandrake/Mandriva typically does not install the 2.6 kernel headers
anymore. The headers are important as they are needed by the linker,
and possibly by the compiler itself as well.

The headers are files that end in /.h/ and that are human-readable. The
best approach would be to install the complete kernel source tree in
*/usr/src* and then symlink */usr/src/linux* to the correct directory.

Note: you don't need the headers of the kernel you are running. What
you need are the headers to the kernel that everything else in your
system was compiled against. For instance, if you are running Mandrake
10.1, then you would need the 2.6.8.1-12mdk or eventually the
2.6.8.1-24mdk sources, if you've installed all the updates

You can obtain these sources from your installation media or when
installing the updates. You will have to explicitly mark them for
download, as they are not installed per default.

Hope this was useful... ;-)

--
With kind regards,

*Aragorn*
(Registered Gnu/Linux user #223157)
From: Teilhard Knight on
"Aragorn" <stryder(a)telenet.invalid> wrote in message
> On Saturday 27 August 2005 20:09, Teilhard Knight stood up and spoke the
> following words to the masses...:
>
>> According to Mandrake I need the kernel source and two
>> symbolic links (linux and build) to the kernel source. I do that and I
>> cannot compile. Then someone said I needed the kernel headers
>> (whatever they are) and to install a package and run "m-a prepare".
>> When I run this command I get the warning that I do not have a
>> configured kernel source. I ignored the warning and compiled my driver
>> and apparently compiled all right. But the module didn't load in the
>> kernel and refuse to load with "modprobe -v" (module not found). The
>> only way to load it is with "insmod", and then I am as the beginning,
>> with the OS not detecting my (USB) adapter, and I can do nothing.
>
> Mandrake/Mandriva typically does not install the 2.6 kernel headers
> anymore. The headers are important as they are needed by the linker,
> and possibly by the compiler itself as well.
>
> The headers are files that end in /.h/ and that are human-readable. The
> best approach would be to install the complete kernel source tree in
> */usr/src* and then symlink */usr/src/linux* to the correct directory.
>
> Note: you don't need the headers of the kernel you are running. What
> you need are the headers to the kernel that everything else in your
> system was compiled against. For instance, if you are running Mandrake
> 10.1, then you would need the 2.6.8.1-12mdk or eventually the
> 2.6.8.1-24mdk sources, if you've installed all the updates
>
> You can obtain these sources from your installation media or when
> installing the updates. You will have to explicitly mark them for
> download, as they are not installed per default.
>
> Hope this was useful... ;-)
>
> --
> With kind regards,

Thanks so much for your explanation. I hate to confuse people, but I did it
this time. We were talking about Debian, and I know I shouldn't do it here,
it's just that my conversation with Ron, lead me there, not because of his
fault but rather than mine for referring to Debian when we were talking
about distros in general. Still, what you say is useful to me to understand
Mandriva better and that is much appreciated.

Cordially,

Teilhard.

From: Crashdamage on
On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:02:19 -0500, Teilhard Knight <teilhk(a)privacy.net> wrote:

> Interesting what you say. Still, I have had so many bad experiences trying
> to burn in Mandrake that I do not trust it anymore, I prefer to go to
> Windows and use Nero. That's why I am sad Nero does not support Mandrake. I
> am amazed why Mandriva is not more seriously taken in the Linux world. Of
> all the distros I have tried it is the most friendly in my opinion.

Nero recently released a new version for Linux, just 2-3 weeks ago.
Very nice, does about any burning chore you might need. I like it so
well it's now replaced kb3 as my #1 burner for Linux.

I used the Fedora rpm from Nero's website and it installed and runs just
fine on my 10.1 box. You can download and try it free for 10 days, then
just $19.95 U.S. for a license.

http://www.nero.com/en/NeroLINUX.html

And who says Mandrive isn't taken seriously...?

--
Registered Linux user #266531
From: Ron Gibson on
On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 14:42:16 -0500, Teilhard Knight wrote:

>> OTOH you can't learn to swim without getting wet.

>> The question at this time is the water too cold to jump in now.

> Perhaps you are right. But dropping some bucks to buy a compatible adapter
> (mine is reported to be compatible with Linux, but not precisely with
> Debian) would be too an easy solution to my problems. The water is too cold
> now to swim, but IMO I have to try to swim nevertheless knowing the worst
> that can happen is that someone has to get me out of the water before I
> drawn. Now you are telling me most probably the problem is a packaged piece
> of code, my next move is to look for the sources and build the damn kernel
> source myself. Any advise to remove what I already have and get the tarball?

Yes. As I said distro kernel hacking can cause problems when you try to
add third party modules which are almost always built by the hardware
dudes for a "pristine" kernel source from kernel.org

Often distro providers take and modify that code and include it to work
with their modified kernel. Since you don't have a clue what they did
that is a problem.

What I'd do for starters is go where you found those drivers and take
note of any requirements on what version kernel is required if any. if
it specifies a version level then download that kernel source.

Stop at that point and then ask for suggestions on the best way to test
the vanilla kernel with your current setup.

> Learning is painful but once you get an objective in your mind you have
> finish it at any rate, after all I am doing all this just for fun and I do
> not have someone asking when will I accomplish what need to be done. As you
> see I am an stubborn person with a lot of time in his hands to waste it
> doing things the hard way.

That will be a winning attitude my friend.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: madwifi & ath_pci
Next: What is MRL?