From: Crashdamage on
On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 15:12:49 -0500, Teilhard Knight <teilhk(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> Crashdamage wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:02:19 -0500, Teilhard Knight
>> <teilhk(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Interesting what you say. Still, I have had so many bad experiences
>>> trying to burn in Mandrake that I do not trust it anymore, I prefer
>>> to go to Windows and use Nero. That's why I am sad Nero does not
>>> support Mandrake. I am amazed why Mandriva is not more seriously
>>> taken in the Linux world. Of all the distros I have tried it is the
>>> most friendly in my opinion.
>>
>> Nero recently released a new version for Linux, just 2-3 weeks ago.
>> Very nice, does about any burning chore you might need. I like it so
>> well it's now replaced kb3 as my #1 burner for Linux.
>>
>> I used the Fedora rpm from Nero's website and it installed and runs
>> just
>> fine on my 10.1 box. You can download and try it free for 10 days,
>> then
>> just $19.95 U.S. for a license.
>>
>> http://www.nero.com/en/NeroLINUX.html
>>
>> And who says Mandrive isn't taken seriously...?

> Glad Nero worked fine on Fedora. It is one of the supported distros, but I
> need it for Mandrake, and it is not supported according to Nero's site.
> That's why I say Mandriva is not taken seriously.

Please read my post above again. I said I used the Nero rpm for Fedora,
but I installed it on my Mandrake 10.1 box. Works very well. It will
give an "Unsupported distro" error the first time you open it, but no
matter, just ignore it.

Mandriva is not taken seriously? Just because there's no
Mandriva-specific Nero rpm? That doesn't mean squat.
--
Registered Linux user #266531
From: Dan C on
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 19:08:09 -0500, Teilhard Knight wrote:

> I sometimes ask myself whether Mandriva is taken as a distro for beginners.

It is often seen that way, although personally I don't think so. Rather,
it is a distro which is good for beginners and veterans alike, IMHO.

> And Red Hat, Fedora, Debian, Suse, and Slackware are taken as distros for
> serious geeks.

I would put Debian and Slackware in that category, but not the others.

Linux Registered User #327951

From: Ron Gibson on
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 14:35:18 -0500, Teilhard Knight wrote:

>> Stop at that point and then ask for suggestions on the best way to
>> test the vanilla kernel with your current setup.

> I have finally compiled and installed my driver (module). What remains is
> that the damn distro recognizes my wireless module. It does not recognize
> anything USB, although I explicity enabled USB support when running "make
> menuconfig". Only a 2.4 kernel recognized my flash disk and 4 devices taken
> as SCSI for adding memory modules. I would level down to any kernel and
> kernel source which will allow me to make full use of my hardware. The 2.4
> kernel I didn't keep because the click of the mouse was disabled.

A vanilla kernel is one from kernel.org - IOW not hacked by the distro.

USB support got a bit flaky with kernel versions 2.6.

There is nothing at all wrong with a 2.4 kernel. The only advantage I
see right now is that 2.6 kernels compile faster.

Since I'm neither a fan od USB or woreless I can only suggest general
debugging procedures.

Now if I understand you right it works part way with one kernel and part
way with the other. If you have used modules I'd boot the 2.4 kernel and
do a...

lsmod > /mod_list_1.txt

Do the same for the 2.6 kernel - lsmod > /mod_list_2.txt

Compare the two files and then try to get all working in one. You might
find a needed module not loading.

Also helpful would be to compare the dmesg output from the two kernels
against each other.

Looking at the .config files with a text editor might shed some light and
Info can be found in the Kconfig files in the source tree.

But you are doing darn good. Don't give up all together if it gets
rough. You've already learned more than a big portion of linux users
I see posting.

Now one more trick would be to get a vanilla kernel and use a

/usr/src/linux/.config

File known to work (or real close to it). Copy that file to the
vanilla kernel source tree and run...

make oldconfig

Answer the few questions it might prompt you for. Usually the defaults
are fine when in doubt.

Then finish the build process. This sheds light on if the hacked kernel
is causing problems. It is also a very trick useful if you want to
upgrade your kernel and have a custom build.

Sometimes I've had 4-5 kernel versions all installed trying to get the
right combo and these are methods I've found useful. Of course when I
get 1-2 kernels I like I just delete the other stuff except the install
kernel and modules. It's a good idea to always keep that one around just
in case.
From: Ron Gibson on
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 20:29:21 +0000, Aragorn wrote:

> Debian is also known not to feature the latest series of kernels but
> rather to rely on time-proven software. If I recall correctly, then
> the kernel that Debian considers to be stable at the moment is still a
> 2.2-generation kernel.

Yes, Debian is conservative but I got kernel 2.6.13 working fine for me.

BTW, I got the drive and now have Slack, MDK, Gentoo, Suse, Debian and
Redhat all installed :-)

All are excellent except I think fedora is about to get a...

mkfs.ext2 /dev/redhat_land.

If I was buying no way I'd buy that based on what I've seen of RH.
From: Ron Gibson on
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 15:12:49 -0500, Teilhard Knight wrote:

>> fine on my 10.1 box. You can download and try it free for 10 days,
>> then
>> just $19.95 U.S. for a license.

>> http://www.nero.com/en/NeroLINUX.html
>>
>> And who says Mandrive isn't taken seriously...?

> Glad Nero worked fine on Fedora. It is one of the supported distros, but I
> need it for Mandrake, and it is not supported according to Nero's site.
> That's why I say Mandriva is not taken seriously.

It will install and work but it has nothing, zip, zero advantages over
the several free burning options. IOW, don't bother is my suggestion.

Of course if you have bought it and really really love it then enjoy.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: madwifi & ath_pci
Next: What is MRL?