From: Ron Gibson on
On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:28:33 -0500, Teilhard Knight wrote:

> That is a good idea. But perhaps the problem arose because I was trying
> to burn a file of about 1 Meg on a blank disk (I tried multisession
> too). I have 6 machines and I have always preferred to burn in Windows
> and in a particular machine which has two burners, so, I don't remember
> whether I have used the particular burner I am talking about which is

Naw it's glitches in the software. One glitch occurs in some kernel
versions. Another occurs in some versions of cdrecord. There are a few
others but they don't pop up very often.

A few times I've run across media it didn't like for some reason though
that is pretty rare. Like others I usually reduce the burning speed for
my 12-10-32 to 8X. My Lite-On is an older burner now but the damn thing
is built like a tank and shows no sign of trouble after 5 years or so
now.

The kernel glitch is not fixable IIRC unless you change kernels (this is
not a problem in kernel version 2.6.10 or higher or kernels 2.6.8 and
lower- IOW, version 2.6.9 and 2.6.10 are the problem kernels).

The cdrecord glitch can be avoided by selecting cdrdao as you preferred
app in k3b settings.

I dunno if you like to compile your own or not but k3b usually compiles
well and I've done a few that fixed an oddball glitch. Actualy I prefer
to build it from source right off the bat.

This is a bump in the road for k3b as it's a rock solid app
historically and superior to M$ based software, albeit Nero ain't bad.

Check...

http://k3b.org/

For reports on various glitches.
From: Teilhard Knight on
"Ron Gibson" <rsgibson(a)verizon.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:28:33 -0500, Teilhard Knight wrote:
>
>> That is a good idea. But perhaps the problem arose because I was trying
>> to burn a file of about 1 Meg on a blank disk (I tried multisession
>> too). I have 6 machines and I have always preferred to burn in Windows
>> and in a particular machine which has two burners, so, I don't remember
>> whether I have used the particular burner I am talking about which is
>
> Naw it's glitches in the software. One glitch occurs in some kernel
> versions. Another occurs in some versions of cdrecord. There are a few
> others but they don't pop up very often.
>
> A few times I've run across media it didn't like for some reason though
> that is pretty rare. Like others I usually reduce the burning speed for
> my 12-10-32 to 8X. My Lite-On is an older burner now but the damn thing
> is built like a tank and shows no sign of trouble after 5 years or so
> now.
>
> The kernel glitch is not fixable IIRC unless you change kernels (this is
> not a problem in kernel version 2.6.10 or higher or kernels 2.6.8 and
> lower- IOW, version 2.6.9 and 2.6.10 are the problem kernels).
>
> The cdrecord glitch can be avoided by selecting cdrdao as you preferred
> app in k3b settings.
>
> I dunno if you like to compile your own or not but k3b usually compiles
> well and I've done a few that fixed an oddball glitch. Actualy I prefer
> to build it from source right off the bat.
>
> This is a bump in the road for k3b as it's a rock solid app
> historically and superior to M$ based software, albeit Nero ain't bad.
>
> Check...
>
> http://k3b.org/
>
> For reports on various glitches.

Interesting what you say. Still, I have had so many bad experiences trying
to burn in Mandrake that I do not trust it anymore, I prefer to go to
Windows and use Nero. That's why I am sad Nero does not support Mandrake. I
am amazed why Mandriva is not more seriously taken in the Linux world. Of
all the distros I have tried it is the most friendly in my opinion.

Teilhard.

From: Ron Gibson on
On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:02:19 -0500, Teilhard Knight wrote:

> Interesting what you say. Still, I have had so many bad experiences
> trying to burn in Mandrake that I do not trust it anymore, I prefer
> to go to Windows and use Nero. That's why I am sad Nero does not
> support Mandrake. I am amazed why Mandriva is not more seriously taken
> in the Linux world. Of all the distros I have tried it is the most
> friendly in my opinion.

Trust me. It can be fixed.

OTOH yes Nero is pretty good. Currently I am using it to build self
booting rescue and imaging software CD's for my friends. Why? Because
these folks use windoze, I'm building these CD's for them and in this
case Nero is the most effective tool.

On Mandrake, IMO, it's strength is also it's weakness. IMO they spend
too much time trying to seduce the windoze crowd by using a nice
graphical interface on it's install program and it introduces unneeded
complexity. OTOH, Debian, Slackware and Gentoo use a curses or CLI based
interface and better organized application groups. Again IMO, it's
better to make sure you get a rock solid minimal base installed and
going first. It makes adding and removing fluff that might be
troublesome a lot easier.

This is why more experienced users prefer that type of approach. If I
get it booting OK and have mc and jed I can immediately go to work (at a
frenzied level) configuring the machine the way *I* want it, which
usually means making changes in how INIT is implemented in that distro
all of which is revealed in /etc

Having nailed that then I move to the GUI, i.e., X and KDE next. Nail
that and now I move to tweaking it. Next up is adding additional GUI
apps.

I find this approach a lot easier as at any point if things sour you
know it has to be related to the last steps you took. It also reduces
the complexity of looking at possible multiple causes for an observed
problem. IOW too much at first can make for a very confusing debugging
scenario.

But in most cases the complete noob can just say OK to defaults and make
out fine. In my case I'm doing stuff few people would ever even try.

MDK or any first Linux for the noob is a good Linux. But other distros
do things differently and much can be learned from them. And in the case
of Linux knowledge is most definitely power.
From: Teilhard Knight on
And in the case
> of Linux knowledge is most definitely power.

True, and knowledge is what I lack. I installed Debian in another machine
just for fun and to appreciate what I am dealing with and why Debian is so a
popular distro among the geeks. It has been a source of headaches for me.
Few, if any, people answer my questions. For example, I have been trying to
install the driver for my wireless adapter. According to Mandrake I need the
kernel source and two symbolic links (linux and build) to the kernel source.
I do that and I cannot compile. Then someone said I needed the kernel
headers (whatever they are) and to install a package and run "m-a prepare".
When I run this command I get the warning that I do not have a configured
kernel source. I ignored the warning and compiled my driver and apparently
compiled all right. But the module didn't load in the kernel and refuse to
load with "modprobe -v" (module not found). The only way to load it is with
"insmod", and then I am as the beginning, with the OS not detecting my (USB)
adapter, and I can do nothing. Problem is that I pose the problem in a
mailing list and in alt.os.linux.debian and I get no replies. I do not know
how to configure a kernel source. So, you are right, knowledge is power.

teilhard.

From: Ron Gibson on
On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 13:09:53 -0500, Teilhard Knight wrote:

> And in the case
>> of Linux knowledge is most definitely power.

> True, and knowledge is what I lack. I installed Debian in another machine
> just for fun and to appreciate what I am dealing with and why Debian is so a
> popular distro among the geeks. It has been a source of headaches for me.

Well much geekier would be gentoo, slackware, LFS, FreeBSD (not really a
Linux).

> I do that and I cannot compile. Then someone said I needed the kernel
> headers (whatever they are) and to install a package and run "m-a
prepare".
> When I run this command I get the warning that I do not have a configured
> kernel source. I ignored the warning and compiled my driver and apparently
> compiled all right. But the module didn't load in the kernel and refuse to

Well this is IMO an artifact of "package managed" distros.

I really like a distro that allows me to install what I want and where I
want to. I'd prefer to get the source package, read the docs on the
website, meet the requirements of the package (libs, make, etc) and
build it myself. This almost always works fine and the docs are complete
enough.

OTOH "packaged managed" distros often split packages, especially libs
and headers, and/or modified a binary in a way that you don't know about
which may cause problems.

But actually as far as hardware goes it's much better to buy custom
built or build it yourself and select known compatible components.

Hell I couldn't figure out the instructions to install a wireless
network on windoze which many champion as the OS even the brain dead
would flourish with.

You tried a compile and at this point in your learning that probably is
a big leap. I'd reacess my needs and perhaps drop a few bucks on solving
the hardware issue before I ran myself crazy trying to do things beyond
my expertise.

OTOH you can't learn to swim without getting wet.

The question at this time is the water too cold to jump in now.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: madwifi & ath_pci
Next: What is MRL?