From: Teilhard Knight on
Crashdamage wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 15:12:49 -0500, Teilhard Knight
> <teilhk(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>> Crashdamage wrote:

>>> Nero recently released a new version for Linux, just 2-3 weeks ago.
>>> Very nice, does about any burning chore you might need. I like it
>>> so well it's now replaced kb3 as my #1 burner for Linux.
>>>
>>> I used the Fedora rpm from Nero's website and it installed and runs
>>> just
>>> fine on my 10.1 box. You can download and try it free for 10 days,
>>> then
>>> just $19.95 U.S. for a license.
>>>
>>> http://www.nero.com/en/NeroLINUX.html
>>>
>>> And who says Mandrive isn't taken seriously...?
>
>> Glad Nero worked fine on Fedora. It is one of the supported distros,
>> but I need it for Mandrake, and it is not supported according to
>> Nero's site. That's why I say Mandriva is not taken seriously.
>
> Please read my post above again. I said I used the Nero rpm for
> Fedora,
> but I installed it on my Mandrake 10.1 box. Works very well. It will
> give an "Unsupported distro" error the first time you open it, but no
> matter, just ignore it.
>
> Mandriva is not taken seriously? Just because there's no
> Mandriva-specific Nero rpm? That doesn't mean squat.

Not just because of this. As I have mentioned somewhere else I find it a
trend with drivers and third-party software.

Teilhard.

From: Crashdamage on
On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 17:08:14 -0500, Teilhard Knight <teilhk(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> Crashdamage wrote:
>> On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 15:12:49 -0500, Teilhard Knight
>> <teilhk(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>>> Glad Nero worked fine on Fedora. It is one of the supported distros,
>>> but I need it for Mandrake, and it is not supported according to
>>> Nero's site. That's why I say Mandriva is not taken seriously.
>>
>> Please read my post above again. I said I used the Nero rpm for
>> Fedora,
>> but I installed it on my Mandrake 10.1 box. Works very well. It will
>> give an "Unsupported distro" error the first time you open it, but no
>> matter, just ignore it.
>>
>> Mandriva is not taken seriously? Just because there's no
>> Mandriva-specific Nero rpm? That doesn't mean squat.

> Not just because of this. As I have mentioned somewhere else I find it a
> trend with drivers and third-party software.

I play around with other distros, but for various reasons I've always
come back and Mandrake/Mandriva has been my main distro now for over 4
years, since I loaded 8.0. I've had only a time or two where I couldn't
find a usable rpm to load something, and that covers installing a LOT of
stuff. Even if that happens you can always make an rpm from source
using checkinstall, same as any other distro.

Yeah, occasionally, like with Nero, I've cheated a bit and used
an rpm built for another distro but then when using other distros I
many times found packages I was used to having available for Mandrake
were not available in distro X or what was available was older.
Sometimes I find the newest packages available are for Mandrake, not
Debian or Suse, etc.

All in all after several years of using Linux it seems only Red Hat or
possibly Debian are better supported as far as sheer number of available
packages, but not by very much and since many RH rpms will install fine
on a Mandrake/Mandriva box, as in our example of Nero here, it's really
no matter.

The expensive Enterprise edition of RH is taken seriously by software
vendors as more or less the server standard, yes. They are the market
leader in that area after all, though Suse seems to be making up some
ground. But in terms of commercial software Fedora certainly is taken
seriously no more than (and maybe less, since it's sort of a perpetual
beta for RH) than some other distros. Suse has problems I won't go into
here that will always keep me away. I intend to stay with a rpm-based
distro for a primary setup, so for me Debian distros are just for
fooling around.

Bottom line: I've found support for Mandrake/Mandriva to be a non-issue.
Certainly not a reason to change. If I go to another distro as my
primary choice, that won't be why.
And support from the Mandrake community has been unbeatable in my
experience.
--
Registered Linux user #266531
From: Ron Gibson on
On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 16:38:22 -0500, Teilhard Knight wrote:

>> SuSE is also a more desktop-oriented distribution, but it has more
>> popularity because it's older than Mandrake/Mandriva and it used to
>> come in a very extensive format, i.e. they used to offer the most
>> packages of all commercial distributions.

>> And now they have Novell as a Big Name to back them up... ;-)

> I see. Obviously the situation would be different if I used the servers,
> instead of just having a home little network. I need a desktop-oriented
> distro, but I must realize that Linux is much more than that.

You just might want to take a look at Suse - It's installation
routine is extremely impressive and the package tool they use is very
versatile. The desktop is excellent.

Of course don't delete your MDK :-)
From: Teilhard Knight on
Ron Gibson wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 16:38:22 -0500, Teilhard Knight wrote:
>
>>> SuSE is also a more desktop-oriented distribution, but it has more
>>> popularity because it's older than Mandrake/Mandriva and it used to
>>> come in a very extensive format, i.e. they used to offer the most
>>> packages of all commercial distributions.
>
>>> And now they have Novell as a Big Name to back them up... ;-)
>
>> I see. Obviously the situation would be different if I used the
>> servers, instead of just having a home little network. I need a
>> desktop-oriented distro, but I must realize that Linux is much more
>> than that.
>
> You just might want to take a look at Suse - It's installation
> routine is extremely impressive and the package tool they use is very
> versatile. The desktop is excellent.

I am hesitant to try Suse. Not because I find anything wrong with doing it,
it is just that I have 6 computers and each have more OSs than a menu in a
restaurant. On the other hand, I would like to solve the USB problems I have
in Debian, before I jump into something else. But I am so stuck with Debian
recognizing my flash disk and USB wireless adapter (do not know what to do),
that I might give Suse a chance and increase the amount of OSs I have
installed.

> Of course don't delete your MDK :-)

I would never delete my Mandrake. It's my favourite (until now) distro.

Teilhard.

From: Teilhard Knight on
Crashdamage wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 17:08:14 -0500, Teilhard Knight
> <teilhk(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>> Crashdamage wrote:

>>> Please read my post above again. I said I used the Nero rpm for
>>> Fedora,
>>> but I installed it on my Mandrake 10.1 box. Works very well. It
>>> will give an "Unsupported distro" error the first time you open it,
>>> but no matter, just ignore it.
>>>
>>> Mandriva is not taken seriously? Just because there's no
>>> Mandriva-specific Nero rpm? That doesn't mean squat.
>
>> Not just because of this. As I have mentioned somewhere else I find
>> it a trend with drivers and third-party software.
>
> I play around with other distros, but for various reasons I've always
> come back and Mandrake/Mandriva has been my main distro now for over 4
> years, since I loaded 8.0. I've had only a time or two where I
> couldn't
> find a usable rpm to load something, and that covers installing a LOT
> of stuff. Even if that happens you can always make an rpm from source
> using checkinstall, same as any other distro.
>
> Yeah, occasionally, like with Nero, I've cheated a bit and used
> an rpm built for another distro but then when using other distros I
> many times found packages I was used to having available for Mandrake
> were not available in distro X or what was available was older.
> Sometimes I find the newest packages available are for Mandrake, not
> Debian or Suse, etc.
>
> All in all after several years of using Linux it seems only Red Hat or
> possibly Debian are better supported as far as sheer number of
> available packages, but not by very much and since many RH rpms will
> install fine
> on a Mandrake/Mandriva box, as in our example of Nero here, it's
> really
> no matter.
>
> The expensive Enterprise edition of RH is taken seriously by software
> vendors as more or less the server standard, yes. They are the market
> leader in that area after all, though Suse seems to be making up some
> ground. But in terms of commercial software Fedora certainly is taken
> seriously no more than (and maybe less, since it's sort of a perpetual
> beta for RH) than some other distros. Suse has problems I won't go
> into
> here that will always keep me away. I intend to stay with a rpm-based
> distro for a primary setup, so for me Debian distros are just for
> fooling around.
>
> Bottom line: I've found support for Mandrake/Mandriva to be a
> non-issue. Certainly not a reason to change. If I go to another
> distro as my
> primary choice, that won't be why.
> And support from the Mandrake community has been unbeatable in my
> experience.

Your experience is more or less the same as mine. I go and try distros and
all I get is a bunch of headaches. Although I have tried seriously only
Fedora and Debian, I have never tried Red Hat nor Suse. I have installed
distros based in the "main" ones, like Kumbutu, and Unbutu, or some others
not very important. As I decided to go wireless, the only distro I have ever
been able to configure successfully is Mandrake and Mandriva ( LE2005). I
find it much advanced in wireless support than Fedora or Debian.

But what the heck, computers and OSs are my hobby, and I am nearly retired,
so, it is all amusement for me.

On the other hand, I agree with you that support from the Mandriva Community
is excellent.

Teilhard.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16