From: Ron Gibson on
On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:22:32 +0000, Aragorn wrote:

>> Hmmmm...any binay tarball will work with Slackware as long as the
>> required libs are present. Well lets rephrase that - I never ran
>> across one that didn't. In fact there is a site that even offers
>> prebuilt Slackware packages not provided by Pat.

>> http://linuxpackages.net/

> Well, I was not talking of tarballs. I was actually under the
> impression that Slackware used its own package manager, similar to RPM.

> Guess I was wrong. :-)

Well not exactly. Slackware indeed does have a "package system" that
tracks what is installed, where and can't add or remove packages. It's
incredibly clever in it's simplicity. It just is the package tree tgz'd
with a install script that merely cp's the binaries to the proper place
and takes notre of what was installed where.

However you could just as easily expand the package and do it by hand.

RPM packages are the same way, excepting they are often incomplete in
needing additional packages. In fact you can just select with mc and hit
enter. The RPM and Slack TGZ both expand and then you can simply copy the
files by hand if you so wish. In either case its usually pretty easy to
find out what might not have been included.

>> PS: After working on the latest 10.2 install for 2 days and almost
>> done now it sure seems a lot better than my last taste. I wonder if
>> they even modify the ISO's post roll out.

> To my knowledge, they don't. As soon as the /.iso's/ are out, the only
> corrections are patches, as well as a few sections on their Errata
> pages, but only concerning the very obvious bugs that a lot of users
> have encountered.

Well this one sure is better behaved. Might be becasue I opted for a
minmal initial install and built on afewtr it was booting.
From: Teilhard Knight on
Ron Gibson wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 14:42:16 -0500, Teilhard Knight wrote:
>
>>> OTOH you can't learn to swim without getting wet.
>
>>> The question at this time is the water too cold to jump in now.
>
>> Perhaps you are right. But dropping some bucks to buy a compatible
>> adapter (mine is reported to be compatible with Linux, but not
>> precisely with Debian) would be too an easy solution to my problems.
>> The water is too cold now to swim, but IMO I have to try to swim
>> nevertheless knowing the worst that can happen is that someone has
>> to get me out of the water before I drawn. Now you are telling me
>> most probably the problem is a packaged piece of code, my next move
>> is to look for the sources and build the damn kernel source myself.
>> Any advise to remove what I already have and get the tarball?
>
> Yes. As I said distro kernel hacking can cause problems when you try
> to add third party modules which are almost always built by the
> hardware dudes for a "pristine" kernel source from kernel.org
>
> Often distro providers take and modify that code and include it to
> work with their modified kernel. Since you don't have a clue what
> they did that is a problem.
>
> What I'd do for starters is go where you found those drivers and take
> note of any requirements on what version kernel is required if any. if
> it specifies a version level then download that kernel source.
>
> Stop at that point and then ask for suggestions on the best way to
> test the vanilla kernel with your current setup.

I have finally compiled and installed my driver (module). What remains is
that the damn distro recognizes my wireless module. It does not recognize
anything USB, although I explicity enabled USB support when running "make
menuconfig". Only a 2.4 kernel recognized my flash disk and 4 devices taken
as SCSI for adding memory modules. I would level down to any kernel and
kernel source which will allow me to make full use of my hardware. The 2.4
kernel I didn't keep because the click of the mouse was disabled.

By the way, what's the Vanilla kernel?

Teilhard.

From: Aragorn on
On Thursday 01 September 2005 21:35, Teilhard Knight stood up and spoke
the following words to the masses...:

> By the way, what's the Vanilla kernel?

A vanilla kernel is a kernel compiled from the source code from the
kernel developer team headed by Linus Torvalds and Andrew Morton.

The kernels one can download from http://www.kernel.org are the vanilla
sources. This in contrast to the distribution-specific kernels, which
have been patched by the distro makers.

;-)

--
With kind regards,

*Aragorn*
(Registered Gnu/Linux user #223157)
From: Teilhard Knight on
Aragorn wrote:
> On Thursday 01 September 2005 21:35, Teilhard Knight stood up and
> spoke the following words to the masses...:
>
>> By the way, what's the Vanilla kernel?
>
> A vanilla kernel is a kernel compiled from the source code from the
> kernel developer team headed by Linus Torvalds and Andrew Morton.
>
> The kernels one can download from http://www.kernel.org are the
> vanilla sources. This in contrast to the distribution-specific
> kernels, which have been patched by the distro makers.
>
> ;-)

Thank you for the info. Do you think I should try one of those kernels for
Debian?

Teilhard.

From: Teilhard Knight on
> Glad I could help... ;-)

And I am grateful for that.

Teilhard.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: madwifi & ath_pci
Next: What is MRL?