From: racerl1 on
Thanks. I just tried the program, and it failed because the file was corrupt
and unreadable.

From: Galen on
In news:E01D4911-7D0B-4F51-BD76-6C3CEB204A66(a)microsoft.com,
racerl1 <racerl1(a)discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I ran the chkdsk the way you explained. Afterwards, I tried the
> rmdir, and received the message "Access is denied". I also tried
> del, and received "Access id denied". It didn't even let me change
> to the directory where the file was located. When I tried cd, I
> received the same "Access is denied". I tried to delete it once I
> opened Windows back up, and received the old corrupt and unreadable
> message.

Curiouser and curiouser... You could give the Move On Boot application a
try, that's helped other's in the past. Someone posted a link to it for you.
I'm running out of options and can't seem to find any other solutions. I
don't suppose that ownership matters but why not try that if the move on
boot option doesn't work.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q308421

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

From: Ricky on
Try taking ownership of the file..
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp
In XP Home you have to boot in safe mode to see the security tab. In XP Pro
you have to disable simple file sharing.

From: George Mooth on
How about booting up to DOS with a 98 boot disc?
Navigate to the file and del it.

From: racerl1 on
MoveOnBoot didn't work. It failed because the file was corrupt. I assigned
ownership of the folder. (This wasn't an option of the file - it just listed
MoveOnBoot on a seperate tab.) I went back into repair console and tried
rmdir. I received the message that the folder was not empty. I tried to
delete the file and got the message that the file was corrupt. I even ran
back through the chkdsk /p /r again before trying, but it didn't make a
difference.