From: racerl1 on
Yes, I have uninstalled TurboTax. Unfortunately, it didn't make any
difference in letting me delete the file. I will try the Hijack. Thanks.

From: racerl1 on
Thanks for joining in. Here are the answers to your questions:

> (Just for the record, you ARE an administrator of this computer, right? And
> logged on as an administrator? A short basic description of your computer
> might assure us that we do, in fact, have a correct mental picture of your
> situation: make and model, how much RAM, number and type of HDs and how
> they are partitioned and formatted, whether the Pro or Home edition of WinXP
> and whether SP2 is installed. I don't see any of that information in the
> thread so far. Sometimes we are very deep into a thread before we learn
> that some of our basic assumptions were wrong and we've been headed down a
> blind alley all along. And trying to lead the user down that wrong path.
> But he doesn't see what we think he sees and both he and we just get more
> lost. So let's make sure we know where we are starting from.)

Yes, I am the administrator, and I am logged in as the administrator. I
have a custom built PC, 480 MB RAM, Pentium 4 2.40 GHz, 1 HD with 74.5 GB, I
don't know how it is partitioned or how to find out. I run Windows XP
Professional and SP2 is installed.

> ID-011.DPC is a valid file from Microsoft, a part of Office 2003. It should
> be only 575 bytes and be dated 07/28/2003. It should be in \Program
> Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\1033. It should not have any attributes
> set; that is, it should NOT be Hidden, System or Read-only. It should not
> have any readable text in it; the DOS command "type id_011.dpc" should
> produce nothing but apparent gibberish on your screen with, perhaps, a few
> audible beeps. If you open it in Notepad, you should similarly see only
> "garbage". This does not mean the file is corrupt; it just means that it is
> in binary code, not a human language.

The file looks just like you describe. I moved the 1033 folder to a new
folder and reinstalled Office in its original location. The corrupt file is
now at c:\1033\ID_011.DPC. When I try to copy the good file over the corrupt
file, I get the error message that I cannot replace the file because it is
corrupt and unreadable.

> You should not need a boot diskette or a Win98 disk. You haven't said, but
> I assume you are using NTFS. WinXP is happy with either FAT or NTFS, but
> neither MS-DOS nor Win9x/ME can read, write, boot from or even SEE an NTFS
> volume. There are third-party programs that allow MS-DOS to work with NTFS,
> but you should not need any of those. WinXP has a Command Prompt, which we
> often refer to as the "DOS" window, but with "DOS" in quotes to remind us
> that it is only an emulation, not true MS-DOS. When in this "DOS" window,
> we can use DOS-like commands to work with both FAT and NTFS volumes. Maybe
> that's why many users say that the WinXP Command Prompt is "a better DOS
> than DOS". There are several ways to get to this "DOS" window; one is to
> click Start | Run and enter: cmd.exe

The command prompt gives the same error that the file is corrupt and
unreadable.

> Boot into WinXP and open a "DOS" window. You said you've isolated your
> problem file in a folder by itself, but you haven't told us the name or
> location of that folder, so I'll use C:\OldOffice\id_011.dpc as an example.
> From any prompt in the "DOS" window, type:

I get "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

Robin
From: racerl1 on
The Hijacker didn't work either.

From: Galen on
In news:05ACDBA6-90C7-4584-90E6-57A03DF38162(a)microsoft.com,
racerl1 <racerl1(a)discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I get "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"
>
> Robin

Okay then... This is actually a bit of an odd situation it seems but no
worries, we'll hopefully figure out what we're doing here and get this
figured out. Have you checked your system for malware? I mean all of it?
Trojans, spyware, viruses, or just plan junkware? That might be an issue at
this point in time and is something that we should probably look at. Another
issue that has been asked, though no definative answers yet, is could this
be a hardware issue? Once again, just humor me, open up the "My Computer"
icon, right-click on the drive in question, select properties, click on
tools, and under error checking click check now and put a tick in BOTH of
the boxes. When you click OK it will give you a message about it not being
able to do the check at this time and ask you if you want to schedule it for
the next reboot. Tell it yes and then reboot.

When it runs through the scan watch it, if you will. Does it report any
errors? If yes (and if it doesn't say that it fixed them) post back here
with the results. If not then go ahead and follow basically the same path
but this time try to defrag the system. I'm just winging it here but we've
tried everything else and all you can do now is await the arrival of the
software and try it with that. (Hopefully that will do the trick for you by
the way.) After the defrag could you give it a shot and try to delete it
again? Err... If it's not too much of a bother could you try it in safe
mode? *chuckles*

I'm quite sorry about this but, well, I personally haven't ever seen this
happen before in my life. After a chkdsk the file's delete just fine here. I
was quite alarmed when they didn't do so on your computer. I'd like to see
this through because it's just unique enough to be interesting. Please, if
you do find another method of ridding yourself from this file (an
alternative is to just live with it but we don't like that alternative now
do we? :)) then let us know the method you used.

Galen
mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

From: racerl1 on
OK. Here it goes...

As far as malware, I run Norton Antivirus constantly. I also run Ad Aware
S.E. and Spybot daily. I delete everything they find. I do a full system
scan with Ad Aware at least once a month and the smart scan daily.

I ran the chkdsk following your instructions. It found the following errors
while verifying file data (stage 4 of 5), but all were fixed:

Windows replaced a bad cluster file 674 of name
\SYSTEM~1\FS\_RESTO~1\RP3\SNAPSHOT\RESPOSI~1\FS\OBJECTS.DATA

<SAME ERROR> file 8159 \SYSTEM~1\FS\_RESTO~1\RP9\SNAPSHOT\_R017D~1

<SAME ERROR> file 20916 \SYSTEM~1\FS\_RESTO~1\RP6\SNAPSHOT\_R017D~1

I ran defrag through My Computer with no issues. I then went into safe mode
and tried to delete the file and received a cmd.exe error: The file or
directory c:\1033\ID_011.DPC is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the
chkdsk utility. I restarted. Chkdsk ran and found nothing.

Let me know if you can think of anything else. Thanks.

Robin