From: Galen on
In news:6B9CC35E-35D6-4681-B46B-5F3CDB25DE47(a)microsoft.com,
racerl1 <racerl1(a)discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Let me know if you can think of anything else. Thanks.

Methinks you'll need to wait until your CD has come in the mail for this
one. I've no ideas beyond that at this point, well. I have one. Kick it.
Maybe two... Partition that section of the drive out with a hacksaw, wipe it
clean with an abrasive cleaner, and re-insert the bits and pieces. CHKDSK
will fix it after that *nods* Okay so those two aren't really very good
ideas but you get the idea? Basically I'm all out of ideas other then that
which you're going to get in the mail. Out of curiousity I ordered one this
weekend and it was shipped on Monday. They notified me via email that they'd
shipped it. I hope that you're able to get your copy soon. From that disk
you'll be able to build a handy diskette that boots like an OS from CD and
from there you SHOULD be able to delete the file. If not then you'll be able
to create yet another disk where you'll be able to boot using DOS with NTFS
(full read/write) support. Or so they people I know who've used it tell me
and the company's page tells me. I've yet to use it and it seemed to me that
you might have problems with it so I ordered a copy of it as well.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

From: racerl1 on
I have not received the disk or the email that it shipped. I think I'll
request it again. Thanks, and I'll update you when I get it.

Robin

From: dave on
This is a very interesting problem. I'm not 100% savy on the way to
delete this file after reading the entire thread, but wouldn't it be
possible to get a LINUX distro on bootable CD to delete the file?
Probably not the preferred way but maybe an idea. Is this at all possible?

Dave

From: Galen on
In news:opsnedxdxjxro3re(a)dell-cg9761s,
dave <yaya(a)nothere.com> had this to say:

> This is a very interesting problem. I'm not 100% savy on the way to
> delete this file after reading the entire thread, but wouldn't it be
> possible to get a LINUX distro on bootable CD to delete the file?
> Probably not the preferred way but maybe an idea. Is this at all
> possible?

LOL That or BartPE as a bootable CD is the next/last idea that we've come up
with so far in the thread in the mailing list. (Had to call in
re-enforcements.) Good thinking though.

An interesting aside here. I once used an early version of a CD based *NIX
(don't want to bad mouth it so I will leave the name out) and made an error
with it. I didn't read, this is MY fault, the help files clearly. I did read
them but didn't think about them is more accurate. Using the CD with XP
installed I'd gone ahead and told it to NOT ever save ANY files to disk
except to a separate slaved drive. However, I never assigned the root to the
slave drive. I then, this is MY fault, set up the modem. This, of course,
was saved to the drive which was C: at the time. Not the drive that I'd
wanted.

Somehow, in the end, the MBR was eaten. No amount of editing it, no fixing
it from recovery console, and no use of the tools from the drive
manufacturer ever repaired the MBR. Nothing, and I mean nothing as I think I
tried them all eventually, repaired it. My fault entirely. I have even tried
to edit the individual sectors with a HDD tool that I came across to no
avail. It turned out to make an wonderful slave though and to this day
there's a small section of the drive that not even Partition Magic can clean
up, edit, format to anything, or access. I have since decided to never use
*NIX from CD but that's just my own standing on this. I'd rather install it
to a slave if I'm going to use it and that's become very seldom these days.
However, you're 100% correct and if the CD does work as planned that would
almost certainly do the trick.

Galen

From: racerl1 on
I have requested the disk twice in the last month, but I have never received
it. I also have never received an email telling me that it would ship. I'm
wondering if they won't send it to me because I answered the questionaire
honestly and told them it was for a home computer. Did you get your disk?