From: Galen on
In news:C024EA06-8F79-423B-B28A-1137B95AEF76(a)microsoft.com,
racerl1 <racerl1(a)discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> How do I do this? I have XP?

You'll need to make a special boot disk that has NTFS support probably
unless you opted to format the drive with FAT32 while installing it. You can
get such disks from www.bootdisk.com and there's directions there as well.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

From: racerl1 on
I have been trying to work on this all day, but unfortunately, I don't know
enough to make this work. I was unable to find a download for a boot disk
with NTFS support. I tried numerous Win 98 boot disks, and none of them let
me navigate away from the a: drive. (invalid drive). The only mention of
NTFS was for a download that allowed me to view and copy NTFS files. There
was no option to delete or get to a DOS prompt. I'm sorry this is taking so
much of your time, and I truly appreciate your efforts. Can you be more
specific about the download that I need?

From: Galen on
In news:E48C52A2-E049-40D8-B887-E5466A1BD647(a)microsoft.com,
racerl1 <racerl1(a)discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Thanks for the links. I downloaded from the Microsoft site, and
> started with the disks. They did the same thing as when I started up
> with the Windows disk. I tried repair console again and received the
> Access Denied message when I tried to get to the folder.

Hmm... I used Google to try to find an answer that I haven't given you
already but this is what I came up with:

http://www.adras.com/Can-t-delete-corrupt-file.t1070-1.html

Look familiar? Okay, we're NOT out of options yet.

First try this:

http://helpdesk.kixtart.org/KixUtilsTasks.asp

If that doesn't get rid of it then we may be in a bit of trouble, yes I know
it's for NT but it works well with XP. Read the help and the site for usage
as it's a command line based tool.

Okay, now if that doesn't work, check your permissions/attributes. If you
open the cmd prompt and navigate to the directory and then view the
directory is the file listed? If not then type this in that same screen (in
the appropriate directory) attrib -h -s -r ID_011.dpc which should then show
it. If it's STILL not visable you might try navigating to the correct
directory (the CD command) and then del *.dpc assuming that there's no other
files with that file extension that you want to keep in that directory.

Heh, you've got me a bit stumped and though we're not entirely out of
options here we are starting to run out of things that I can think of
trying.

Galen

From: Daniel E. Namay on
Hi. Read through the thread & noted you couldn't get into safemode w/F8
key. Try getting into SafeMode again by clicking on START then RUN.
Then type MSCONFIG. When the window opens, click on the BOOT.INI tab
and check the SAFEBOOT box and the MINIMAL... button. Then click OK.
It'll ask you if you want to reboot. It SHOULD boot into SafeMode.

When you're done in SafeMode, do the same, but click on NORMAL START-UP
on the GENERAL tab.

Hopefully you'll be able to delete the file there.

Good luck.

Dan Namay

From: racerl1 on
Hi Galen. After two days I figured out how to work with Kixtart (I've never
worked with command lines before). Unfortunately, after all the excitement,
it didn't help. I reveived the following error message: Failed.
GetLastError<>=1392. I looked it up and the explanation was "corrupt file".

I also tried the permissions/attributes suggestion. I was able to see the
file right away when I navigated to the directory. I followed your steps
anyways to see if it would help, but I received the same old message that the
file was corrupt.

I'm sorry this is taking so much of your effort, but I truly do appreciate
your help. Thank you.