From: S.Lewis on

"Dave Smith" <Sallydog(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> I'm trying to reformat a friend's Dell Dimension 9150. It was used by
> his son and is just a mass of viruses and adware so he just wants to
> start over. I have the factory recovery CD and when I boot from it,
> it goes through all the usual "Setup is loading files" steps until
> just after the "Setup is starting Windows" message. Then it goes to a
> BSOD.

<snip>

Have you tried using the CTL+F11 hotkeys (at the dell splash) to attempt a
factory image restore (as opposed to a clean OS (only) install)?

From: Ben Myers on
STOP 7E without further explanation as to the module of the failure seems to be
Microsoft's garbage can for anything that its programmers are incapable of
explaining. Which is a lot.

I have a Dell with a STOP 7E, and the hard drive has zero defects according to
two differenr disk diagnostics, so something else is hosed... Ben Myers

From: Dave Smith on
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:52:28 -0700, Dave Smith <Sallydog(a)cox.net>
wrote:

>I'm trying to reformat a friend's Dell Dimension 9150. It was used by
>his son and is just a mass of viruses and adware so he just wants to
>start over. I have the factory recovery CD and when I boot from it,
>it goes through all the usual "Setup is loading files" steps until
>just after the "Setup is starting Windows" message. Then it goes to a
>BSOD. The Technical Info is:
>
>Stop 0x0000007E
>
>PCI.SYS - Address F853E0BF Base at F8537000
>
>I've googled these and not gotten anything that seems relevant to this
>situation. The machine will boot and run OK, the OS is just really
>messed up and gives a lot of popups.
>
>I have:
>
>Tried the factory CD in both CD drives.
>
>Tried a commercial XP Pro CD.
>
>Updated the BIOS. Actually, the BIOS version I got from Dell was the
>same as the one on the machine, but I flashed it anyway.
>
>Checked to make sure the Dell CD is the right one for the machine.
>
>I don't know where else to go with this. I'd sure appreciate any
>suggestions someone might have.
>
>Thanks very much.

Thanks very much for all who have replied so far.

An update:

I tried removing each of the RAM sticks...no help.

Tried installing the RAM in different slots...no help.

Don't have another compatable vid card so I can't try anything there.

Tried AGAIN reformatting with a commercial (non-Dell) XP Pro disc.
Didn't get a BSOD, but the machine locked up at the same point as with
the Dell CD.

Tried connecting the HDD to the MB with a different SATA cable, to
different ports...no help.

This is a stock machine and I'm sure the Dell installation disc is the
correct one.

I'm going to try running DBAN and when that's done I'll try the
CTRL+F11 maneuver. I'll post back.

Thanks again.
From: Christopher Muto on
agreed. stop 7e means just about anything. but it is usually a driver
issue. perhaps in this case it isn't the sp1/pcie video card issue but as
simple as a non dell cd that dosen't have sata drivers on it... however it
should just fail to find the drive rather than crash, but then again it's
windows... could also be malware on the disk. worth booting the thing in
safe mode with networking and visiting housecall.trendmicro.com for a free
and comprehensive scan and repair if the op does indeed have the recover cd
that came with the system with sp2 and sata drivers built in.

From: Christopher Muto on
cntrl-f11, if there in the first place, will be gone after the dban wipe....
since you have the recovery cd original to the system i am thinking that the
malware that you suspected teh system has is the culprit. try starting it
in safe mode with networking and point your browser to
housecall.trendmicro.com for a free scan and repair. if it dosen't work
with the ie plugin you can bet there is something nasty on there... restart
and run the java method.

> On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:52:28 -0700, Dave Smith <Sallydog(a)cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to reformat a friend's Dell Dimension 9150. It was used by
>>his son and is just a mass of viruses and adware so he just wants to
>>start over. I have the factory recovery CD and when I boot from it,
>>it goes through all the usual "Setup is loading files" steps until
>>just after the "Setup is starting Windows" message. Then it goes to a
>>BSOD. The Technical Info is:
>>
>>Stop 0x0000007E
>>
>>PCI.SYS - Address F853E0BF Base at F8537000
>>
>>I've googled these and not gotten anything that seems relevant to this
>>situation. The machine will boot and run OK, the OS is just really
>>messed up and gives a lot of popups.
>>
>>I have:
>>
>>Tried the factory CD in both CD drives.
>>
>>Tried a commercial XP Pro CD.
>>
>>Updated the BIOS. Actually, the BIOS version I got from Dell was the
>>same as the one on the machine, but I flashed it anyway.
>>
>>Checked to make sure the Dell CD is the right one for the machine.
>>
>>I don't know where else to go with this. I'd sure appreciate any
>>suggestions someone might have.
>>
>>Thanks very much.
>
> Thanks very much for all who have replied so far.
>
> An update:
>
> I tried removing each of the RAM sticks...no help.
>
> Tried installing the RAM in different slots...no help.
>
> Don't have another compatable vid card so I can't try anything there.
>
> Tried AGAIN reformatting with a commercial (non-Dell) XP Pro disc.
> Didn't get a BSOD, but the machine locked up at the same point as with
> the Dell CD.
>
> Tried connecting the HDD to the MB with a different SATA cable, to
> different ports...no help.
>
> This is a stock machine and I'm sure the Dell installation disc is the
> correct one.
>
> I'm going to try running DBAN and when that's done I'll try the
> CTRL+F11 maneuver. I'll post back.
>
> Thanks again.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: PBR
Next: Need picture of Altec Lansing ACS340 power supply