From: Dave Smith on
I'm trying to reformat a friend's Dell Dimension 9150. It was used by
his son and is just a mass of viruses and adware so he just wants to
start over. I have the factory recovery CD and when I boot from it,
it goes through all the usual "Setup is loading files" steps until
just after the "Setup is starting Windows" message. Then it goes to a
BSOD. The Technical Info is:

Stop 0x0000007E

PCI.SYS - Address F853E0BF Base at F8537000

I've googled these and not gotten anything that seems relevant to this
situation. The machine will boot and run OK, the OS is just really
messed up and gives a lot of popups.

I have:

Tried the factory CD in both CD drives.

Tried a commercial XP Pro CD.

Updated the BIOS. Actually, the BIOS version I got from Dell was the
same as the one on the machine, but I flashed it anyway.

Checked to make sure the Dell CD is the right one for the machine.

I don't know where else to go with this. I'd sure appreciate any
suggestions someone might have.

Thanks very much.
From: Christopher Muto on
i think the problem has to do with the video card and the version of windows
xp you are installing.
are you using the recover cd that came with the dimension 9150 or one that
came from another machine? is it service pak1 or 2? was the video card
upgraded to something different than originally came with the system? i
suspect the answer is that the video card may have been changed and you are
using a sp1 windows xp cd. i have seen this error when trying to install xp
sp1 on some machine with some pcie video cards (put in an older video card
and you may solve the problem - you can put the current card back in after
you install the os and update it with all the patches). however it could
also be due to faulty memory. perhaps the memory was upgraded in which case
you can reduce the system memory to just the factory original memory until
you get xp installed and updated. let us know how it works out.

From: Tony Harding on
Dave Smith wrote:
> I'm trying to reformat a friend's Dell Dimension 9150. It was used by
> his son and is just a mass of viruses and adware so he just wants to
> start over. I have the factory recovery CD and when I boot from it,
> it goes through all the usual "Setup is loading files" steps until
> just after the "Setup is starting Windows" message. Then it goes to a
> BSOD. The Technical Info is:
>
> Stop 0x0000007E
>
> PCI.SYS - Address F853E0BF Base at F8537000

IIRC stop 7E reflects a problem with the disk subsystem. I would run
diagnostics on the HDD(s), etc.

HTH
From: HDRDTD on
Also sounds like it might be a HD Controller driver issue (Raid, or SATA,
etc) , as in needing the driver and loading it using F6 during the XP
install, even though you wouldn't think it'd be neccessary if the OP is
using the original Dell CD.

From: wm_walsh on
Hi!

> I don't know where else to go with this. I'd
> sure appreciate any suggestions someone might
> have.

How about this? If there is truly nothing on the hard disk worth
saving, and the stuff that isn't wanted is all that's left, try
running a tool like DBAN and using it to wipe the internal hard drive.

Another poster pointed out that the STOP error you saw pertains to the
disk subsystem. I haven't researched it, but it's not too much of a
stretch to think that some garbageware or virus might have trashed the
contents of the disk enough to make Windows setup really unhappy.

William